Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

i disagree, i think you can't really judge a players goal/games because defoe has come on for the last 10 minutes quite a few times this season and it's hardly fair to expect him to score.

You might not like it, but it's how all players are judged. It's always done on how many goals have been scored in a total amount of appearances.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree, i think you can't really judge a players goal/games because defoe has come on for the last 10 minutes quite a few times this season and it's hardly fair to expect him to score.

You might not like it, but it's how all players are judged. It's always done on how many goals have been scored in a total amount of appearances.

i know, i just don't think thats a fair analysis

Because we are talking Premier League matches and Premier League goals.

Scoring goals in other professional football games don't count for this argument, yeah cause they don't! lol.gif

You trying to imply that he's the reason Spurs are in europe?

Yes. His goals this season have directly earned Spuds 8 points. Without those points they are 10th

You know im right and now you are asking hypothetical questions, which will never happen

Complete rubbish.

Because we are talking Premier League matches and Premier League goals.

Scoring goals in other professional football games don't count for this argument, yeah cause they don't! lol.gif

The Premier League goals arguements are brought on by this

yeah 21 starts and 10 goals in the prem

our scouts must be stupid if we want a striker like that.

Which was earlier in the thread. This might be hard for wind up bags like you, who does nothing but, agree, emote or post without thinking. Like now. :crylaugh:

Do Villa normally play with two strikers up front, and if so, what would be MON's first choice strike partnership if Defoe came to Villa?

Bent and Defoe

I meant who would be MON's first choice strike partnership if Defoe was the only new striker to sign for Villa since (obviously you won't be signing both Bent and Defoe)?

Does no one have a view on this?

Jermain Defoe (last three seasons playing 20 league caps or more):

This season: 34 games and 10 goals

Last season: 36 games and 9 goals

2004/2005: 35 games and 13 goals

Together = 105 games and 32 goals = 0,30 (probably many games as a sub)

Mystery Aston Villa player (last three seasons playing 20 league caps or more):

05/06: 25 games and 8 goals

04/05: 26 games and 9 goals

02/03: 27 games and 9 goals

Together = 78 games and 26 goals = 0,33

Don't read too much into statistics. Players who are in top shape but don't play every game tend to score goals and really spark before being left out of the squad again. The story could be different when he played every game week in week out, getting tired and so on.

Oh the mystery player is Milan Baros.

(Edit: I know this doesn't proove anything, I am simply highlighting the fact that you shouldn't read too much into stats... at least not all the time!)

These were goals that he score for Liverpool, the 05/06 is villa goals. Plus his are in all competitions. his total for Villa from 05 to 07 is 9 goals in 42 games. The goals he got before that are the reason we bought him.

Yes. His goals this season have directly earned Spuds 8 points. Without those points they are 10th

What a stupid argument.

You don't just take out his goals and say 'this is where they'd be'....it doesn't work like that.

Far be it from me to complicate things even further, but as for the question of substitute appearances, a 3-minute appearance most certainly isn't the same as a start but on the other hand it's often easier for a striker coming on with 25 minutes left and running against a tired defence (and sometimes under orders not to chase back) than it is for one who plays the full 90 minutes.

Why? He has scored eight goals in the cups. Well done him. They still win football matches.

4 goals against Port Vale, Milton Keynes and Southend...

...SIGN HIM UP!!!!

And three against Dinamo Bucharest and Sevilla.

No it's rubbish.

You say that I think you are right, nothing can be further from the truth I think you are wrong.

So you saying that I think you are right is in fact rubbish.

Why? He has scored eight goals in the cups. Well done him. They still win football matches.

4 goals against Port Vale, Milton Keynes and Southend...

...SIGN HIM UP!!!!

He also scored against Seville and two goals away against Dinamo Bucaresti.

The bottom line is that you can only score in the games in which you play ... Defoe doesn't get to choose the opposition.

This might be hard for wind up bags like you

There is only 1 person on the wind up in this thread, check out that little yellow thing next to your name for a hint.

Defoe's record is about 1 in 2 i think, is that good or bad? Its good case closed, you hardly have to be sherlock to figure it out that he scores goals!

Anyway its upto MON, he will mostly likely sign Bellend over Defoe anyway and if people are not happy they can stamp their feet, stop supporting Villa or just get on with it!

What a stupid argument.

You don't just take out his goals and say 'this is where they'd be'....it doesn't work like that.

Apparently not, when it suits.

Without the goals he scored in the league games he has played they would not have earned 8 points.

And three against Dinamo Bucharest and Sevilla.

Dinamo Bucharest! If he can score against a european powerhouse like that, he must be good.

I think his goal against Sevilla was after he come on as a sub. Appearances as sub don't count, so goals as a sub don't count either. :winkold: