Stockholm

Wainy316

Thinking of taking the good lady to Stockholm for her birthday.  It only seems right to make the Mellberg pilgrimage.

Apart from catching an AIK game, anybody have on tips?  Is it a good place to visit?  I'm aware it can be pretty expensive.

I know the names of most the districts and subway stops from the Stieg Larsson novels so time to go see them first hand.

as you said its expensive. I go a few times there myself and its a nice place and a different type of city. If going drinking or anything stay away from the Stureplan area, its a poser scene. Stay in Sodermalm is a lot of cheap bars.

If going in summer also imagine it can be very warm and bright

With apologies to Pelle ,it was a bit average IMO (mainly as after Stockholm I flew to St Petersburg which is an amazing place)

the boat trip around the bay is Ok , highlights were the shipwreck of the Vasa  and the changing of the guard ceremony

Beer was expensive , women were a bit meh ( all the fit ones come and work as Nanny's in England FACT !! :) )

oh and you can buy chocolate bars amusingly called "plopp"

of the scandy countries I'd rate it above Helsinki but below Oslo

• 2 weeks later...

warm. when I was there 2 years ago was 25-30 degrees and its a stronger sun than Ive been used ot when was in Spain for example. meant to be 33 this week in Sweden but not sure which part

Was hoping to see and AIK or Hammarby game but the only team at home when I'm planning on going is Brommapojkarna.

Any of the Swedish Villans know what a game there is like?  Also the stadium only holds 8,000 and they are playing Goteborg.  Will that be a problem?

I worked for a Swedish company for 15 years and spent a fair bit of time in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmo. Around this time of the year the climate is pretty similar to the UK.

Definitely worth a visit to an Ice bar to sample the vodka.The pubs and clubs are good fun although there are far too many karaoke bars!

As mentioned by others it is horrendously expensive to dine out though. 

Â