Who Should Be Our Number 1 Next Game?

RichardCanning

Who Do You Want In Net Next Game?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want In Net Next Game?

• Tommy Sorensen
    • Stefan Postma
    • Wayne Henderson

A striker can miss 20 sitters but score the winning goal and be a hero; a keeper can make 20 great saves but make one mistake and be a villain! Unfortunately thats the nature of the game. Tommy has been making some great saves but has also been guilty of some glaring errors - thats why I think Postma is worthy of a chance again.

From IC birmingham

Kieran Richardson restored United's advantage after 36 minutes, although Villa's big Dutch keeper Stefan Postma should have comfortably stopped the shot.

Three minutes later Postma was beaten at his near post by another Richardson effort

From OS

Mulligan beat Drobny and crossed for Mulligan to volley past the motionless Postma

Reports from Postma's last 2 reserve games, doesn't exactly sound like an improvement!

As for Henderson, he is currently on loan at Notts County, sitting on the bench.

When it says he let a goal in that he should have comforably stopped and let a goal in at the near post i think it does say something. Sorenson is getting slaughtered for these mistakes. Yes Postma made other saves in the games, but so does Sorenson.

If Postma was playing out of his skin in the reserves and was commited to a future at Villa i would say play him, obviously he is not on both accounts.

What is bizaare is exactly the same poll is running on H&V (i popped in there cos im that desperate for a transfer rumour about now!) and the vote is stacked entirely the opposite way with Postma having 65% of the vote. You can say that maybe they know less etc but it would suggest that the villa fans on average are split over the goalie at present!

I think nearly all keepers are subject to blunders which tend to detract from their all round performance.

I was talking to a bluenose mate (yes I know, sorry) not long ago about keepers and I said I thought Maik Taylor had been a good acquisition for them, because I'd seen and read about him putting in excellent performances.

He had just the opposite opinion of Taylor, then I saw for myself what he did against Charlton....

I think Tommy on balance is a fine keeper, and when we see a settled defence in front of him it will be a different story.

Mr. Canning,

I think it is a fair thread, if it was rediculous/pointless (or whatever else people have said) then the only one option would have been voted for. I think Sorensen is out best keeper, although I am not as sure as I used to be.

I think Tommy on balance is a fine keeper, and when we see a settled defence in front of him it will be a different story.

I don't see how that makes him lose the ability to use his hands properly. It should (hopefully) cut out all the communication errors that seem to happen most games with both Olof and Ridgewell, although as someone said at Old Trafford at the weekend, maybe that's because the defence don't have any confidence in the keeper to deal with things?

I don't see how that makes him lose the ability to use his hands properly

I don't either, truth to tell, but I am assuming it's a confidence thing. If he's flustered by the cockups (real or threatened) in front of him I guess it could produce that effect.

Possibly.

The most worrying thing is, from what I remember at Sunderland, he started off excellently then gradually declined. It culminated in the relegation season where they brought 2 goalkeepers in (Poom and Myhre, I think) before the transfer window shut (in the days when that deadline was March/April sometime, not the current one) and he was dropped in favour of Poom for the remaining games. Hope that cycle hasn't started again.

You've got to imagine DOL bought Tommy on the strength of what he had seen in previous seasons. I imagine that was also the case with Laursen. I haven't really seen enough of Laursen to comment, but there are those on here who say he's not up to it either.

I know people keep trotting out the cliche that form is temporary and class is permanent, but it makes you wonder if it's really valid to sign people based on what you've seen more than 1 season previously.

I think Tommy S is our best keeper.

Stefan is on the transfer list so unless it's of benefit to Tommy's confidence etc then leave him unless we need him.

Henderson - too inexperienced to play unless we absolutely have too. incorportae him gradually in easy cup ties etc and see how he copes with that.