Claiming back PPI

Genie

Anyone done this? I have just had a though that a mortgage on the first property I had may have included it. Now whats the best thing to do, ring them and ask them or pass my details on to one of the MANY companies who take care of this sort of thing.

Any VTer's had any joy claiming PPI back?

Cheers

Mrs E did and got about £600 from her credit card. I've never had PPI so never had to claim.

Try and haggle the fee down - Mrs E paid 25% of her "winnings" to the company - I took umbridge it can't be that hard to do it yourself

EDIT - What Coda said.

Edited by Eames

Never done it myself, but there are that many adverts for solicitors that deal in it that business must be booming.  Saw this kind of shite going on when I was TwatWest, customer advisors being actively trained to "intimate but not outright say" to loan applicants that forking out for the PPI could help their application (it doesn't).  I assume that's what a lot of these claims are based on.

I'd say you'd probably get better advice over at MoneySavingExpert.com, they appear to have a whole section on this.

Not done it but the financial ombudsman page may be the first port of call for information and this from the Torygraph also gives a bit more info and then there's the pretty reliable Martin Lewis website info (which has some sutff on claims handling companies, too).

On the companies, be aware of some of the horror stories that have been reported in places of people not getting their money and, even, owing money after their claim has been settled (I think that was on Watchdog).

Edited by snowychap

Bah, seems I didn't have anything on that mortgage... thing is I'm sure I have had it on some product at some point in the past. Just need to remember what it was as for the sake of filling in a form I might get a cheque through in the post....

My wife claimed about £3k back from a loan from her bank. She down-loaded a couple of letter templates from somewhere like moneysavinexpert.com (I'm sure there's a plethora out there) and sent it off. She had to wait for the outcome of an OFT investigations/court cases, but the bank coughed up, in a rather curtly worded covering letter.

Â