Moving to London.......advice needed!

olboydave

Hi all. As the title suggests, I will be moving to London in June/July along with my girlfriend who will be starting a teaching position there.

Although, we visit London quite a lot and know certain areas we need a bit of advice on areas to live and other little bits that anyone can help with. I realise this is quite a broad and open question regarding the areas so these are some key points we are looking for:

- Zone 2/3 in an area with good transport links (i.e. a tube or a decent servived Overground along with being about a 10/15 minute journey from a 'major' station.

- A budget of £1500 max per month not including bills/tax etc.

- A relatively safe area (again, I realise this is all about being sensible etc)

- An area with good restaurants/pubs and bars

Obviously this is all sounding a bit too perfect but I think you catch my drift. An area like East Dulwich is the kind of thing we are looking for although the prices are slightly high and it's not the best for transport unless right next to the station. Some other areas that have been mentioned to me are Crystal Palace, Ealing, Clapham, Hampstead.

Can anyone offer any help or any general tips/advice for living and moving to London? Thanks in advance!

Where do you both need to get to?

Thats a very good point, I work in Elstree (northwest not even london), and currently live in Lewisham! (Southeast, complete opposite side of london). And it takes me about 2hours to get to work! Though I am currently looking for somewhere new to live!

But you should definately choose where you're going to live based on where you're both working. If you're both in central then thats fine, but you dont want to have a long commute! It takes its toll after a while!

What about:

Kilburn

Willesden Green

Stoke Newington

East Finchley

Finsbury Park

Kentish Town

Camden/Chalk Farm

Docklands

Well, I don't know exactly where I'll be working as I wont get work until I get there. She will more than likely be based North East in Newham. At the moment she is commuting from Peckham Rye which even though is the other side, it's not too bad as its 10 mins to London Bridge, train to East Ham, bus to the school. Takes about an hour she says. Obviously, much more would be silly.

For the budget, you might want to look a few zones further out.

For example, Croydon becomes managably cheaper, still got lots of bars/restaurants, and a rough end to avoid and a better end, Your still only 18 m from London Bridge and a little more to Victoria, and it has good transport links to Wimbledon. You mention Dulwich/Crystal Palace, then don't overlook slightly further out - Beckenham and Bromley are technically in Kent, but Bromley is only 16m from Victoria on the fast non stopper, and Beckenham Jtn is 5m further down the line. For £1500 a month rent, you'll get a very decent place to live. If you don't want "London Prices", I'd consider Surrey Hills - Dorking, Reigate all nice places to live, ald all less than 45m into Central London Terminals.

Wouldn't really want to live in Newham, or any further out - you'll still get the bad stuff about city life without the good side.

Doesn't Anthony live in Hackney?

He might give you some pointers.

I live in West Hampstead and it really is a great area. You've got plenty of shops and restaurants, kilburn/hampstead/camden on your doorstep. Great transport links with the overground/underground/thameslink. Plenty of young professionals and very safe. Its 9 mins on the tube to Baker Street. About the same on the Thameslink to Kings Cross.

I live in West Hampstead and it really is a great area. You've got plenty of shops and restaurants, kilburn/hampstead/camden on your doorstep. Great transport links with the overground/underground/thameslink. Plenty of young professionals and very safe. Its 9 mins on the tube to Baker Street. About the same on the Thameslink to Kings Cross.

Thanks for the info mate. What are the prices like compared to East Dulwich and Putney or does it really depend on what road etc? The transport links look great there. Is there much in the way of open space and parkks?

Yeah mate you have Hampstead Heath and Regents Park very near by. I go running around Regents Park often and its great.

We live in a small one bed right by the station. It's a very nice flat with high ceilings but quite small and we pay about £1k a month. Which is cheap for the area. I think you should be able to get a really nice one bed for £1,100 - £1,200 a month.

Try Paramount Properties / Greene and Co / West End Lane Properties / Abacus / Gumtree

Here an example:

http://www.paramount-properties.co.uk/content/Rent/Results/Property_Details/1-bedroom-property-to-let-in-South-Hampstead-NW6-parrps-PAR990426-1328530803-

Â