US Fly Drive

tonyh29

I'm here right now and one thing is very obvious is that you should not book a hire car locally. Do it via a UK website. I got a quote from Avis UK for a place in New Jersey, just down the road from where I was. So I went down to see them to see if they could match it so I could do the deal over the counter.

Not a **** chance. They were coming in $800 more for the same deal! Were it was going wrong for them was they came in around the same price without any CDW and enhanced insurance. I got 28 days car hire with everything and unlimited mileage for £650. **** bargain in my book.

I should add as an edit that I told the guy in NJ what I could do if we couldn't cut a deal and he simply couldn't match it. His words were something like "I'll be interested to see how they do this because I can't get close". The first thing he said to me when I walked in was "Amazing, you got the rate. I saw it come through and I still can't believe it".

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at maybe doing a US fly drive this summer

Anyone got any must see places they would suggest ?

I'm keen on DC and my mate is an Atlanta Braves fan so it seems we have to head out that way even if it does appear to have bugger all else to see / do

Will probably do a few internal flights so distance is not a huge obstacle(though price could be !!) but where should I be looking to visit ...

Our trips are usually a bit of culture ( yeah I know that could be hard in America :winkold:) sight seeing and a fair bit of drinking (ok lots of drinking)... Not really into beaches as my mate lives next to one in Thailand and I can't sit still long enough yet alone lay down in the sun... Other than that pretty much anything really ... JFK stuff is always of interet to me so Dallas will probably get a shout and Id like to see some space stuff so should I head to Houston or Cape Canaveral or somewhere else ?

If you like JFK stuff come to Boston and visit the JFK museum, it's a pretty cool site for history/politics buffs. Plenty of artsy fartsy things to do in Boston as well, and of course the drinking...we just were named America's drunkest city by some national publication :lol:

Dunno if it's the whole truth, but the beer flows strong here.

It's a quick drive to NYC too.

If you like JFK stuff come to Boston and visit the JFK museum, it's a pretty cool site for history/politics buffs.

yeah went there a few years back as I went to a friends wedding in Boston ... quite liked Boston even if they did somehow portray Bunker Hill as a US victory :shock:

• 2 months later...

All booked Starting 10th aug , it's more a fly fly rather than a fly drive

4 nights Washington with Gettysberg then fly down to Atlanta for 1 night to watch The Braves play then fly onto Memphis for 2 nights on Beale street and then train to New Orleans arriving in time to catch Saints v Jacksonville in a pre season friendly , then off to Dallas for the day to get my JFK fix and onto Veags for 3 nights , then Denver and 2 nights in Golden to take in the cores brewery and Mt Evan and 1 night Downtown before flying into Philadelphia for 2 nights ( 1 of them being my birthday , yay) and then a late flight back to Blighty arriving in the morning just in time for work and a liver transplant

Now I've booked all the flights and hotels I'm really looking forward to it now

Â