US Fly Drive

tonyh29

Looking at maybe doing a US fly drive this summer

Anyone got any must see places they would suggest ?

I'm keen on DC and my mate is an Atlanta Braves fan so it seems we have to head out that way even if it does appear to have bugger all else to see / do

Will probably do a few internal flights so distance is not a huge obstacle(though price could be !!) but where should I be looking to visit ...

Our trips are usually a bit of culture ( yeah I know that could be hard in America :winkold:) sight seeing and a fair bit of drinking (ok lots of drinking)... Not really into beaches as my mate lives next to one in Thailand and I can't sit still long enough yet alone lay down in the sun... Other than that pretty much anything really ... JFK stuff is always of interet to me so Dallas will probably get a shout and Id like to see some space stuff so should I head to Houston or Cape Canaveral or somewhere else ?

Washington is a great city and can cover a number of different fixes.

The Smithsonian has various museums in the city, my favourites of which are the American History museum and, naturally, the Air & Space Museum.The latter has a companion facility out at Dulles for larger exhibits, including a Space Shuttle and various rockets. This is called the Udvar Hazy Center.

Back in Washington you have the Arlington National Cemetary, with the Kennedy grave site of interest.

For drinking and eating Georgetown was pretty nice, although its a long time since I was there.

Washington in general is pretty nice, with no building being taller than the Capitol, and with lots to do. Once you get out of the centre though, the place is a toilet!

For onward flights Southwest have a fairly big hub at Baltimore-BWI. Beware that domestic flights in the US have become more expensive, as the 5 major carriers have become two and half (the half being a very sick AA). Nevertheless SW have reasonable fares and they are a really good airline.

Why did I read that as the uber lazy center :-)

Washington sounds like my sort of place and maybe does away with the need to visit cape Canaveral ?

One of my suppliers has offered me his place on Lake Michigan ...is it worth some time on the great lakes ?

if in Dallas i would say a short hop to San Antonio is worth a shout

San Diego is as nice a city as you will find in US

Chicago is best big city IMO

Air Tran uses Atlanta as a hub and is a decent cheap airline

Southwest i have always found to be good

Washington is dangerous and not worthy of much time IMO. As Trees says outside of the few things it has in the centre it really is a toilet, and more like a French one, smelly and you constantly wonder what the **** will happen next.

San Antonio is the bets place in Texas out of the "cities" IMO.

Chicago, I love the place.

Travel a bit more off the usual tourist track. We spent a fair time in North Carolina and it was superb. Mountains and Ocean within easy drive. Then you can go North to Virginia etc.

California is worthy of a long holiday by itself

Go down to Florida Keys if possible really good down there. Also South Beach in Miami is a great Saturday night out if you are around that area.

if in Dallas i would say a short hop to San Antonio is worth a shout

San Diego is as nice a city as you will find in US

Chicago is best big city IMO

Air Tran uses Atlanta as a hub and is a decent cheap airline

Southwest i have always found to be good

Air Tran have been taken over by Southwest.

South Beach in Miami

been to Miami /South beach twice before all be it briefly both times , but Florida keys could be worth exploring ..isn't that where Gentle Ben lives ?

I can get a BA/ Iberia flight straight into Panama now (always wanted to see the canal ) and then Spirit air :shock: fly directly to Fort Lauderdale or I think AA fly direct to Houston , which would work for me seeing the Space centre and moving up to Dallas (got to see the book depository)

San Antonio has had a couple of mentions now .. is there anything worth seeing there or is it just a nice place to chill out .. from memory isn't that where the Alamo was , is there anything left of it ?

San Antonio has had a couple of mentions now .. is there anything worth seeing there or is it just a nice place to chill out .. from memory isn't that where the Alamo was , is there anything left of it ?

Yes there is a good bit of the Alamo to look at - I will show you a pic on FB when I was over there. There is a good area around some canal / river - San Antonio riverwalk that you can find a good beer / food

As said if you get chance drive into NC and do the mountains bit. I particularly liked it around Chimney Rock (film place of last of the Moheicans - I know spelling is wrong)

Chimney Rock

Hmmmm that could work as I like my hiking and one of my mates is into his bird watching which seems to be quite good there (he is also a Braves fan and wants to go to Atlanta so not a million miles away)

all I could find on your FB was that photo of you dressed a as womble :-)

where on Lake Michigan ?

I'm not 100% sure at this stage he just mentioned it in passing as he was trying to get me to sign a lease on 4 Konica Minolta copiers :-)

• 2 weeks later...

as we are now detouring via panama (as you do ) I'm having to drop a location

current plan is to drop Philadelphia ... any reason why I really really shouldn't ?

currently hitting

Gettysburg , Franklin for civil war stuff

Washington ,Smithsonian etc

Atlanta - Atlanta braves

Dallas - JFK stuff

New Orleans - Mississippi and some more civil war stuff

not that keen on the civil war stuff myself , but have to keep my mate happy seeing as i'm dragging him off to see a Canal :-) but based on that list would anyone say ..stuff XXX goto Philadelphia instead

Philadelphia is a half-scale New York, basically, with better food and history (it's second to Boston in terms of history...).

What kind of trip duration are you looking at?

If you're driving in the Philadelphia-Atlanta corridor, I would strongly suggest I-81 in preference to I-95/I-85, not least because it allows you tick at least the edges of Appalachia off your cultural exploration list.

If you're keeping Philadelphia in and flying into DC, then I'd suggest something like this itinerary:

Train (e.g. Acela) from DC to Philadelphia

Hire car to go west to Gettysburg (would probably use US-30 aka The Lincoln Highway)

South along I-81... for Civil War purposes, Harpers Ferry is an important site and not too far off the highway, which has some generally great scenery

To get to Atlanta from 81, I'd probably head south on I-77 and catch I-85 in Charlotte and go through Dom Wren's stomping grounds. Get some Carolina barbecue somewhere in NC. The drive from Pennsylvania to Georgia can be done in a day (I've done from just outside Atlanta to Harrisburg in a day).

Thanks Levi ..Harpers ferry was a new one on me and will please the civil war buff in our party !!

looks like around 17 days all in all .. trouble is the more we look the more we find ... Yellowstone Park looks pretty amazing but is of course nowhere near where we will be and seems like we'd have to fly to Salt Lake City , then Jackson Hole and then drive a few hours ..and then of course do it in reverse ... or we could head on to Vegas from Yellowstone ...it's only a 15 hour drive after all :shock:

Ian mentioned Chimney Rock which looks quite interesting , but Appalachia may tick the same sort of boxes so I'll have a play with that

New York is our assembly point as the 3 of us are coming in from different countries , I've been 4 times but the others haven't so maybe I'll come in via Philadelphia and have a day or 2 there whilst they explore New York

decisions decisions ..

One idea:

While your friends are in NY, you could explore Montreal (yes, I know that there's a lot of francophones there...) or Toronto (or even, perhaps, Boston), then join your them in NY.

So:

day 1: tony -> Montreal/Toronto/etc., friends -> New York

day 2: as above... tony flies to New York in evening

day 3: NY -> Philly (would recommend the train, either Acela or Northeast Regional (the Acela is only about 15 mph faster, but costs a lot more, though the accommodations are a bit better)

day 4: Philly (and if you need a reason to visit Philadelphia, Dalessandro's should be reason enough... ;) )

day 5: Philly -> Gettysburg -> DC (drive... you're approaching DC from one of the best two or three angles as far as traffic etc. is concerned)... between Philly and Gettysburg, especially if you take US-30, you're going through Pennsylvania Dutch country, including the Amish/Mennonite areas.

day 6: DC

day 7: DC

day 8: DC -> Harpers Ferry -> somewhere in southern Virginia or North Carolina

day 9: -> Atlanta

day 10: Braves game

day 11: Atlanta -> New Orleans (if you're willing to drive at night, you might be able be move this up a day to follow an afternoon Braves game... I'd personally rather spend an extra day in New Orleans than in Atlanta!)

day 12: New Orleans

day 13: New Orleans then New Orleans -> Dallas

I'm not sure how much time you'd really want to spend in Dallas, from everything I've heard, it's the most boring of the main cities in Texas (all of which are reputed to have a different vibe: Houston is Southern, Dallas is Midwestern, Austin is is, well, Austin (it's the liberal enclave of Texas), San Antonio is the only one with any history to speak of, etc.)

Denver is probably the best choice for a next city, especially since it's big enough to make a good terminus. It's about a half-day's drive from Dallas, but the drive can be memorable on US-287. Between Denver and the surrounding mountains, you can easily spend a few days. Rocky Mountain National Park is a possible idea.

much appreciated Levi .. Thanks

yeah , i've considered the Toronto option for seeing Niagara falls , only minor flaw being that Mrs H is fine with my travelling whilst she and the kids have a month back in Hungary ... upon pain of death that I don't go to Canada without her ... tempting though , maybe death is over rated :-)

Dallas is literally gonna be a 1 day jobbie ..just want to see the book store depositary building ... but it's the first place that gets dropped if we run out of time I suspect

PS

no idea why but I always thought a hoagie was as cigar not a sandwich :oops:

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly July is too early Levi (wife and kids don't go to Hungary until Aug)

Looks like I'll be arriving in Philly on the 10th Aug .. I may come in via Bermuda and miss New York as I've been a few times... But if that's close to you then we can def meet up for a beer or three ( 2 of us are villa fans the other one a reading fan :shock:)

Â