Relegation - Merged

Amo69

My concern is that relegation will bring a multitude of financial problems.

We can see how relegation can destroy clubs when you look at Leeds/Forest etc.

We get £50m a year for being in the PL. Relegation would mean a parachute payment of £15m.

I would also imagine that there are no relegation clauses in the players contracts, which means the vultures will circle and tear apart our squad leaving us with the dregs.

Even if we stay up and McLeish remains, I cannot see that we will be able to hang onto players like Bent - I would not want to be a striker and play in a McLeish team.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could possibly get 15-18m for Bent though too, I reckon. I thought the parachute payment was way more than 15m?

This is an exerpt from the Times last year.

The biggest shortfall facing any relegated club comes from the loss of television revenue. The bottom club in the Premier League can expect to earn around £40m in United Kingdom and overseas broadcast income. In the Championship, the figure is around £3m. The Premier League soften the blow by giving parachute payments to relegated teams for the four seasons following their relegation. For the first two years, the payment is £16m per year; for years three and four it drops to £8m per year. So for the first season following relegation, teams will lose round £21m in television revenue.

So I assume an owner of a club such as Blackpool just trouser lots of money for a years spin in the PL eg.

PL Year 1 - £40m

relegation Year 2 - £16m

Year 3 £16m

Year 4 £8m

Year 5 £8m

That's £88m for a club that was largely run on Championship players plus profits from Adam sale ??

That drop in TV income is huge. Even if you factor in parachute payments.

Anyone who thinks relegation would be good so that "we can start again" or "we can get rid of the deadwood" needs to think again.

Anyone who thinks relegation would be good so that "we can start again" or "we can get rid of the deadwood" needs to think again.

Why? Newcastle did it.

Exception rather than the rule, I raise you Leeds, Ipswich, Charlton, Southampton, Both Sheffield clubs, etc

Why? Newcastle did it.

Yes Newcastle did, but for every club who went down and benefited from it, there are more who went down and did not benefit. Leeds United, Both Sheffield clubs, Nottingham, Charlton.

Big (ish) clubs who went down, thought they would come back stronger, but none of them have come back yet.

Why? Newcastle did it.

Exception rather than the rule, I raise you Leeds, Ipswich, Charlton, Southampton, Both Sheffield clubs, etc

We posted at exactly the same time and even named the same clubs. Good minds think alike. :D

Why? Newcastle did it.

The only CLub that is of similar size is Leeds and they were already financially crippled. If we went down we could attract the best players at that level. Like Newcastle did.

I use Newcastle as they are the only club in recent memory who are a similar size to us that has gone down without special circumstances.

Not saying it would definately happen. But it is far from impossible.

Why? Newcastle did it.

Yes Newcastle did, but for every club who went down and benefited from it, there are more who went down and did not benefit. Leeds United, Both Sheffield clubs, Nottingham, Charlton.

Big (ish) clubs who went down, thought they would come back stronger, but none of them have come back yet.

As above :winkold:

I don't deny it's not possible we could come straight back up but it's naive to say we definitely would (apologies if you didn't).

What worries me is the gap between the top of the championship and bottom of the premier is narrowing, mainly due to the lack of the quality in the premier. I doubt we'd fall all the way into League 1 but a promotion would be tough as there are some teams in there who are more competitive and better prepared.

This same old ridiculous Newcastle argument :bang:

Getting relegated would be disastrous in every possible way for this football club. This is the most important 3 games in Aston Villa's recent history. There is no question about that.

Newcastle managed to keep their best players at the time. Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor, were all premiership quality. And I think this was a big factor as to why they returned straight away. There was not really a major re shuffle of players there.

Also they were still getting gates of 44, 000 in the Championship which helped financially. Villa would probably get about 24, 000 average.

If Villa went down, I think they would lose all the premiership quality players. I dont even want to contemplate relegation, but if the unthinkable did happen I think Villa would be down there for a while.

In my opinion there are no benefits to relegation. Only negatives. But then again that is just my opinion.

I don't deny it's not possible we could come straight back up but it's naive to say we definitely would (apologies if you didn't).

What worries me is the gap between the top of the championship and bottom of the premier is narrowing, mainly due to the lack of the quality in the premier. I doubt we'd fall all the way into League 1 but a promotion would be tough as there are some teams in there who are more competitive and better prepared.

Thanks for being the only one to notice.

My point was why would anyone need to "think again". It has happened before and COULD happen again.

This same old ridiculous Newcastle argument :bang:

Getting relegated would be disastrous in every possible way for this football club. This is the most important 3 games in Aston Villa's recent history. There is no question about that.

It depends on your definition of disastrous.

Do I think we would do a "Leeds" or stay languishing? No I don't. But we won't know for sure unless we do go down.

Agree with you on the last line.

Newcastle managed to keep their best players at the time. Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor, were all premiership quality. And I think this was a big factor as to why they returned straight away. There was not really a major re shuffle of players there.

Also they were still getting gates of 44, 000 in the Championship which helped financially. Villa would probably get about 24, 000 average.

If Villa went down, I think they would lose all the premiership quality players. I dont even want to contemplate relegation, but if the unthinkable did happen I think Villa would be down there for a while.

In my opinion there are no benefits to relegation. Only negatives. But then again that is just my opinion.

I thought Duff left. Owen, Martins, Viduka etc all went. They were proven top level players.

Harper is poor, Coloccini was awful in his last spell in the Premier League, Lovenkrands no way has ever looked premier League quality and Taylor...really?

I look at our squad and wonder who will buy the players we have eg Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Hutton, Albrighton, Agbonlahor. Not sure many teams would.

It is all about opinions. I agree relegation would be bad and I want us to stay up. It is just I am not ready to throw myself of a bridge if we do.

I thought Duff left. Owen, Martins, Viduka etc all went. They were proven top level players.

I look at our squad and wonder who will buy the players we have eg Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Hutton, Albrighton, Agbonlahor. Not sure many teams would.

It is all about opinions. I agree relegation would be bad and I want us to stay up. It is just I am not ready to throw myself of a bridge if we do.

Duff left in the January transfer window. So he played 60% od that season for Newcastle United.

Viduka was shite by then. An (overweight) shadow of the player he once was.

My point still stands they kept the premiership quality players (Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor) and that is why they returned. If villa go down the likes of bent, gabby, given will probably leave.

Harper is poor, Coloccini was awful in his last spell in the Premier League, Lovenkrands no way has ever looked premier League quality and Taylor...really?

To be honest, I dont want to discuss Newcastle that much. But Harper I thought was a good premiership standard goalkeeper. I also rated Lovenkrands when he was on the wing and Taylor played most of last season when Newcastle finished in 10th place. A key part of their defence.