Packers and Perfection

leviramsey

Packers will go  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Packers will go

• 19-0 (16-0 regular season and win Super Bowl)
    • 16-0 but lose the Super Bowl (cf. 2007 Patriots)
    • 16-0 but get knocked out in NFC Playoffs
    • 15-1

Packers remaining regular season schedule

v Raiders

@ Chiefs

v Bears

v Lions

Chiefs and Bears have major QB concerns, while the Lions don't seem to be ready yet and the Raiders are just erratic. My current chances of the Packers winning each game are:

v Raiders: 80%

@ Chiefs: 92%

v Bears: 69%

v Lions: 68%

So I see about a 1 in 3 chance of 16-0, and a 43% chance of 15-1. Football Outsiders gives the Packers a 28% chance of going 16-0 and also a 43% chance of 15-1.

I've got this vision that I can't shake of the Packers going 16-0, and making the Super Bowl against the Patriots...

...and of course the Patriots beat them.

(if only so that "18-1" gets directed at someone else ;) )

Seriously though:

The Patriots and Packers are in some senses mirror images: two of the three highest octane offenses in the league (with the Saints, these are the teams that have a reasonable chance of putting 40 on anybody) and suspect defenses. Offensively, I think they can hang with each other. The defenses, though?

Patriots and Packers common opponents (Patriots have yet to play Broncos and Packers have yet to play Raiders and Chiefs)

Giants

Giants 24-20 Patriots

Packers 38-35 Giants

(I don't think there were any major injury differences for the Giants offense in either game... kurt/kkr?)

Patriots take 2 TDs off the board relative to the Packers, and it's not like the Packers gave up cheap TDs late with a big lead.

Manning vs. Packers: 347 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT (a pick 6)

Manning vs. Patriots: 250 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT

Giants rushing vs. Packers: 100 yards, 5 ypr

Giants rushing vs. Patriots: 111 yards, 3.8 ypr

Giants overall vs. Packers: 447 yards, 7.3 ypp

Giants overall vs. Patriots: 361 yards, 5.3 ypp

If the Giants are the yardstick, it's hard to call the Packers a better defense than the Patriots

Chargers

Chargers 21-35 Patriots

Packers 45-38 Chargers

17 points difference in terms of conceding, and the Packers had problems putting away the Chargers while the Patriots approached dominance over the Chargers (never trailed and the game was only tied for 13 or so minutes in the first half (counting 0-0) after which the Patriots pulled away.

Rivers vs. Packers: 385 yds, 4 TD, 3 INT

Rivers vs. Patriots: 378 yds, 2 TD, 2 INT

Chargers rushing vs. Packers: 85 yds, 4.0 ypr

Chargers rushing vs. Patriots: 98 yds, 4.1 ypr

Chargers overall vs. Packers: 460 yds, 6.7 ypp

Chargers overall vs. Patriots: 470 yds, 7.1 ypp

I have more confidence in the Patriots defense being able to stop Rodgers than I do in the Packers defense being able to stop Brady.

GBs defense is awful and relies on turnovers. That's why they won't beat Brady if they play, in my opinion. Rodgers also hasn't had a bad game yet! If he has one, I don't think they're good enough defensively to bail him out.

I say 15-1.. but they win the Super Bowl.

Patriots and Packers common opponents (Patriots have yet to play Broncos and Packers have yet to play Raiders and Chiefs)

Giants

Giants 24-20 Patriots

Packers 38-35 Giants

(I don't think there were any major injury differences for the Giants offense in either game... kurt/kkr?)

Patriots take 2 TDs off the board relative to the Packers, and it's not like the Packers gave up cheap TDs late with a big lead.

If the Giants are the yardstick, it's hard to call the Packers a better defense than the Patriots

Bradshaw played this week against the Pack but he wasnt 100%. Nicks was missing against the PATs and Manningham was missing against the Pack so neither team saw us at full strength. PATs probably had it easier though with Bradshaw and Nicks missing.

The Pack didnt have to contend with Osi though and New England did.

I've got this vision that I can't shake of the Packers going 16-0, and making the Super Bowl against the Patriots...

...and of course the Patriots beat them.

(if only so that "18-1" gets directed at someone else ;) )

Seriously though:

The Patriots and Packers are in some senses mirror images: two of the three highest octane offenses in the league (with the Saints, these are the teams that have a reasonable chance of putting 40 on anybody) and suspect defenses. Offensively, I think they can hang with each other. The defenses, though?

Giants

Giants 24-20 Patriots

Packers 38-35 Giants

Chargers

Chargers 21-35 Patriots

Packers 45-38 Chargers

17 points difference in terms of conceding, and the Packers had problems putting away the Chargers while the Patriots approached dominance over the Chargers (never trailed and the game was only tied for 13 or so minutes in the first half (counting 0-0) after which the Patriots pulled away.

Rivers vs. Packers: 385 yds, 4 TD, 3 INT

Rivers vs. Patriots: 378 yds, 2 TD, 2 INT

Chargers rushing vs. Packers: 85 yds, 4.0 ypr

Chargers rushing vs. Patriots: 98 yds, 4.1 ypr

Chargers overall vs. Packers: 460 yds, 6.7 ypp

Chargers overall vs. Patriots: 470 yds, 7.1 ypp

I have more confidence in the Patriots defense being able to stop Rodgers than I do in the Packers defense being able to stop Brady.

The Packers have won 18 in a row, during which time they've never ever trailed in the 4th quarter and have never looked like losing.

They're better thn the Pats.

Â