Kenya

Gillz

Me and a friend have booked a 9 day safari in Kenya and are then spending a few days in Mombasa this August.

Anyone got any experience or tips for us?

Places we should visit and things to do etc.

Thanks

Mmmmmmm Tusker beer

I didn't think there was a lot worth seeing in Nairobi tbh, maybe head out to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust place but if you are going on Safari it's much better to see the animals in their proper habitat or the National Museum

Don't go walking about outside at night or you'll get planked , safe enough by day (was there in 2002 so things may have changed but i was out in the town at a restaurant and we wanted to walk back but lots of people strongly advised us to take a taxi even though it was maybe 1/4 mile to our hotel) ..

Did Elsa's Kopje (of Born Free fame) as part of our honeymoon .. fewer animals in that area but we were walking on a lot of the safaris and got to go cat fishing on the river , limited numbers mean you aren't in a ruck with 30 jeeps every time you see a lion ... if you can get a trip out there it is well worth it

Elsa

Mombasa has Fort Jesus and crocodile park and that was about it (mind you I went there in 1984) .. it's more the beaches that people go there for ...nice snorkelling inside the reef though

Snorkeling in the reef is something i really want to do and the national museum sounds like a great shout too. By the looks i think Elsa may be out of my price range though haha.

Thanks for all the advice mate!

We stayed in Diani Beach a couple of years ago. Nice area about 90mins (I think) from Mombassa. The weather was pretty changeable (we were there in August too) but it was pleasant enough most of the time and on safari was dry the whole time too.

We went through Mombassa on our way to safari and it didn't look too nice really, and didn't see what there was to do there. If you're not fixed I'd say head to the coast. We ate at the Ali Baba's Cave restaurant which is, literally, a cave with a big hole in the roof where the moonlight comes in. It has a sister bar on the beach called the 40 Thieves Bar which is a great way to spend the rest of the evening.

We ate at the Ali Baba's Cave restaurant which is, literally, a cave with a big hole in the roof where the moonlight comes in. It has a sister bar on the beach called the 40 Thieves Bar which is a great way to spend the rest of the evening.

This sounds awesome, will deffo keep an eye out for that. Cheers mate

• 3 years later...

I am just back from a three week vacation in Kenya.

Was some days in Nairobi and Thika Town (a city one hour or so from Nairobi). We lived privately there as my girlfriend came from Kenya to Norway 20 years ago and she has brothers and sisters living there. It probably made the trip a bit different than just living in a hotel i Nairobi.

We had a few days at safari in Masai Mara and then a few days in Malindi (http://www.turtlebay.co.ke). It was absolutely amazing. I will come back there (this was actually my girlfriend's third visit at Turtle Bay!)

There was unfortunately very few tourists in Malindi (the British and American visitors stayed at home due to some uncertainty along the Kenyan coast), something that is very sad for the community around. They struggle when the tourists do not come.

But I have to say that I felt very secure during my whole trip (apart from in the traffic, there seems to be something very wrong with the "matatu" and truck drivers).

I would recommend Kenya to everyone I meet, as I did not feel unsafe at all.

Did our honeymoon in Kenya ( and Tanzania )

Walked the streets of Nairobi by day but was advised to avoid them by night ... That was an improvement from my first visit in 1984 when you were advised to not leave the hotel by day either !!

We went to Elsa's Kopje , great place but the wild life had been poached a bit ... New warden had brought in a shot to kill policy for poachers and that seemed to be working , if a little drastic

Did Masa Mara and then into the Serengeti and then Ngorongoro Crater ..., the crater edges Kenya for me mainly because it's more condensed for spotting wildlife , we saw all the big 5 here plus we got to witness a line killing a prey and 3 baby cheetahs that were only a month or so old :)

But more people should goto Kenya it has a lot to offer

Edit: thought this was a new thread for some reason and didn't realise I'd already posted in it before ... D'oh

Edited by tonyh29

Â