Beach Holiday

villa4europe

its the gf's turn to pick a holiday this year (:() and she wants to go on a bloody beach

where's the best one to go? i dont really want to go to spain as we've been there as kids, but wouldnt mind corsica etc, what i really dont want is something out of the shop window that attracts the chavs

was thinking a bit further out without going over £1k, so far sri lanka is winning with me trying to convince her to go to cuba instead so i can visit havana, thailand is out because we are going there with family next year

or maybe the maldives if the deal is good enough, has anyone been? it'll cost our budget to go room only, because you are on an island do they then charge you over the top for drinks food etc knowing you cant go elsewhere?

The Maldives is incredible. If you can stretch your budget, go there.

It's best to go all-inclusive, it's cheaper in the long-run as you will drink lots of soft drinks during the day and the food is lovely.

I went to Kuredu in the Llaviyani atoll. Flew from Gatwick to Bahrain, then Male. Male airport is a bit scary:

01_male_airport.jpg

From there I took a Maldives air taxi for 30 mins to Kuredu

maldivian-air-taxi1.jpg

Kuredu-Resort-Maldives-Aerial-View.jpg

I don't like beach holidays, but that place was paradise. Snorkelling with the Manta Rays around the warm reefs was my favourite.

I can't honestly remember the prices because pretty much everyone goes all inclusive. With all the food and drink you'd consume over 10 days, even with UK prices you'd easily go over that.

can you get hols in places like the Maldives and Ceylon for under a £1k ??

Cuba .. the beach resorts are at Varadero, about a 2 hour drive from Havana .. depends if you like snorkelling though as there is barley a thing left in the sea of the coast there due to the local fishermen killing everything .. some of the resorts do a free trip on a boat out to the reefs though , you'll get the odd shark if you are lucky (only small reef sharks nothing to worry about)

£ for £ on that budget I'd look at either Aqaba in Jordan or even Sharm isn't bad though you have to get the right resort as a lot of them will have the people you sound like you want to avoid :winkold:

Left field as it may sound look at to Dubai ... short flight time at 6-7 hrs , decent enough beaches if the GF wants to stay on the beach you can head to places like the Mall of Emirates and go Skiing , go do a dune Safari and so on ( I even went wake-boarding in the desert) ..and if you fly Emirates on the A-380 it's a pretty comfortable flight as well ..sure it's a bit artificial and you either love it or hate it but I'm in the love it camp I often route long haul flights through it so I can have a stop over for a couple of days

If you want Caribbean then Dominican Republic is far cheaper than the other Caribbean Islands and you can get a lot of bang for your £ and to be honest it's as good as the other islands

• 1 month later...

booked, i really wanted to go to aqaba but the gf was convinced there was too much trouble in the middle east and i couldnt convince her jordan was fine

so we are off to penang, £750 FB at the hard rock hotel!

no im actually not going to penang, kenwood travel phoned me at about 7.30 last night to tell me that malaysia airways have raised their prices so they cant actually do their online price anymore, that price will be increased by £200 each monday morning, didnt take any money from us and apparantly have done absolutely nothing wrong

either way, kenwood travel, complete **** words removed :angry:

Have you worked out how much it would cost if you booked everything direct yourself rather than through a travel agent?

Â