Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Lerner emerges as Aston Villa favourite

tribalfooball.com - August 06, 2006

"You're getting into the fabric of families," he said recently. "These are people's memories. This is how they spend their Sundays. You've got to be careful with that."

CLICK HERE

Someones going to have to break our kick off times and days to him gently. Still he can watch us on a Saturday/Tuesday/Wednesday and then fly home to see the Browns.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard Steele on Radio 5 talking about O'Neill being appointed. During the conversation he said that we would be taken over. There was no hint as to who it would be, but it was a straight up and down yes there will be a takeover.

I really don't doubt that many of us on this board believe a takeover is a matter of days from annoucement.

The Trees, many thanks again for letting us know about a certain jet landing back home (although a couple of pages back now - only just caught up).

Now all I am waiting for is the announcement of who has won the race to get the club and who MON might be able to sign before the window closes!

Nothing you dont know already Jez

Nothing new since Doug on SSN yesterday really

Cheers Bicks, the SSN interview where Doug basicly said he was going to sell in next couple of weeks?

Cheers Bicks, the SSN interview where Doug basicly said he was going to sell in next couple of weeks?

I've not seen anything different to that so far today (although I am only briefly able to watch SSN today I admit).

8)

This interview relaxed me about the TO becuase its pretty good to hear Doug come out and activly say 'yes I want to sell' again, especially after the last few weeks and to hear he is in ongoing negotiations.

Im not a hige fan of the bloke but im pretty sure he was telling the truth there, and that he defo wants to sell which has got to be like music to the ears of fans and potential buyers.

So does anyone think anything will happen tomorrow?

I think this thread is going to go up to about 380 pages before it's all over.

Yeah, whether we like it or not is a different matter.

So does anyone think anything will happen tomorrow?

I think this thread is going to go up to about 380 pages before it's all over.

We will know more I feel at the end of the week, but the immediate need to sort the football side of things out has been sorted - we now have a bit of time to sort out the business side of things

Its made foxsports news. http://tinyurl.com/jo5mn

Randy Lerner is expected to step up his bid to buy Aston Villa in the next 48 hours.

The American billionaire, the favourite of the four consortiums bidding to take control at Villa, is set to make a formal offer to chairman Doug Ellis.

Lerner is already working in close contact with Martin O'Neill who was installed as Villa's new manager on Friday.

When he came to England a fortnight ago to hold talks with Ellis, Lerner also spent two successive evenings with the former Celtic boss who was his number one choice to succeed David O'Leary.

That is why O'Neill was believed to be stunned when it appeared the deal had fallen through 10 days ago and Lerner flew back to the United States after the apparent collapse of negotiations with Ellis.

But talks are again ongoing and, if all goes to schedule, the business magnate is expected to be formally installed as the new owner of Villa by early September now Ellis has intimated he is ready to sell.

The owner of NFL side Cleveland Browns has the kind of ample funds O'Neill will require to transform Villa into a major force again after years in the doldrums.

The Ulsterman will spend the next week assessing the current players at his disposal during Villa's two matches in Holland on their pre-season tour.

He watched his new charges in action for the first time on Saturday when they fought out a goalless draw with Hanover 96 in Germany.

O'Neill was accompanied by his tried and trusted lieutenants, new assistant manager John Robertson and coach Steve Walford who were also with him at Leicester and Celtic.

He said: "I will have a better idea about the squad by the time we have finished the tour.

"It was my first chance to see the players on Saturday and it is difficult to make a real assessment yet and on Saturday a few players were missing through injury.

"But this is my team now and I will be responsible for it. There is no such thing anymore as a watching brief."

O'Neill is aware he has to move fast with a daunting Premiership opener against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium only 13 days away.

Villa have not brought in a single new player during the summer after only just avoiding relegation last season.

If anyone is expected to take over start of September then something must happen ie bid to be accepted. It took 3 weeks to get it sorted at sunderland, that would take us to end of august/early september.

Yeah, but negotiations have been taking place for at least 2 months, if we're talking about Lerner.

As for Fox Sports News - why's it interesting that it's made there? Is it there SSN?

Australian fellow i think

Actually he's a Yank now. He changed his nationality because non Americans couldn't buy a certain big business he so sorely wanted (can't remember which one. It might be 20th Century Fox).

When it comes to business, Murdoch would sell his Granny.