Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I'm not sure that is entirely so - if it is then surely Randy would have made his bid a firm one last week - regardless of how 'rude' Doug was.

If Randy's indicative bid ticked all the boxes then why walk away?

AFAIK Lerner didnt make an indicative bid last week becasue of the reason you state, he was unhappy with the conditions laid down

but he is back.

meaning?

But the club announced early last week that they had received a 'number of indicative bids' which may lead to firm offers for the club.

I can't believe that Randy, in a meeting with Doug and co. last week, was not one of those to make an indicative bid. Why else would he be there, why else would Rothchilds have invited him to talk - and reach the point of being "15mins away from writing out a cheque"

These are Doug's shares and Doug can place any stipulations that he so wishes upon the sale of those shares.

If these conditions are not met then I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that he would brush all bids off, citing that none where for the benefit of the football club.

And seeing as he still has friends in high places, and a board totally unwilling to speak against him - he has the potential to get away with it too.

I just cannot see Doug Ellis without Aston Villa Football Club

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe O'neill would have come without assurances as to the future ownership of the club. I believe that he has been told that new owners are about to be installed, that the new owners approve of his appointment and that substantial funds will be made available. If I'm wrong, then I think O'neill will suffer the fate of all other Ellis appointments, great optimism followed by ultimate failure. I honestly believe though, that this time the old fool will go. His one hope is he will be able to claim some future credit for any success, as he appointed O'neill. I'll regard that as a small price to pay to finally see the back of the anti christ from B6. Heres to better times. Up the Villa. :D

In terms of dealing with Rothschilds is there any kind of undertaking to sell if the conditions are met? Aren't they paid on commission and if so, would they place any contractual safeguards that if they find buyers that meet the requirements made, a sale occurs?

This ain't Dixons Estate agents we're talking about here. I'm sure there not just working on commission, Ellis is therefore spending the clubs money in employing Rothchilds so if conditions are met he can't just turn bids down having spent a fortune on employing Rothchilds but I may be wrong.

Did you know Jon Fear was BANNED from the press conference tonight?

Why?

One can only presume why.

I'm a big fan of JF, but he had no place at today's press conference and it was right that he was refused entry.

If JF was allowed in, I should be allowed in.

It won't be a popular view, but JF is more effective when he's not trying things like that.

Agreed

Wasn't this a press conference, didn't know that John was now part of the Press fraternity - I tried to get in when Gregory was appointed, and nearly did - until I was grilled for my pass at the last hurdle.

First no bids are in

Almost certainly true, although a very liquid situation imo

Second Lerner has not said he is still interested to make a further modification to his original bid

He has never said he was interested, full stop.

Third only Still has finalised his discussions and even he has not tabled a formal bid

Yet. Events may force this though

Fourth AV06 are looking to meet Ellis on Tuesday to discuss their offer

And this has raised the urgency levels of those involved, as AV06 are serious players imo. Worth closing it out before they arrive or it could drag on and get messy

Fifth only Neville has talked of being in a position to offer a 64 million bid, he hasn't in 2 weeks, why not. Could it be he doesn't meet the full criteria or is his finance options flaky.

there is something odd about this whole Neville situation. I cant quite figure it out at all

Lastly, one man has instigated the move for O'Neil, Neville, who made it clear to some of us ages ago he had spoken to him and he had agreed to be part of the package as had another famous man

IMHO it is wrong to credit neville too much with this. He said nothing more than he would "love MON to be manager", whereas others have met with MON face to face. maybe Neville has too, who knows, he tells different people different things, almost always exactly what they want to hear.

O'Neil said Ellis was the only one who asked, .

He meant out of Newcastle, Boro, england etc

apparently Phil Mepham actually pinpointed him not to come in, i.e. he was singled out rather than security being told the general public cant come in. I know the GP cant go to these things but just the fact he was singled out.

I'm not saying he should or shouldnt be allowed, but just the fear Factor (pardon the pun) of letting somebody in that has issues with the Board, and unusually it's not a press member

But the club announced early last week that they had received a 'number of indicative bids' which may lead to firm offers for the club.

They did

I can't believe that Randy, in a meeting with Doug and co. last week, was not one of those to make an indicative bid. Why else would he be there, why else would Rothchilds have invited him to talk - and reach the point of being "15mins away from writing out a cheque"

it seems as if the result of that meeting was lerner walking away without making any kind of bid. Now this is important, he is back. his people have been in meetings about this all week, and yesterday the man himself flew over. Why?

These are Doug's shares and Doug can place any stipulations that he so wishes upon the sale of those shares.

Yes he can. but he is also the chairman of a PLC

If these conditions are not met then I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that he would brush all bids off, citing that none where for the benefit of the football club.

if the conditions arent met he would be perfectly within his rights to do so, in fact if the conditions arent met thats exactly what he should do. If they are met though?

I just cannot see Doug Ellis without Aston Villa Football Club

I can

Pete - if one of his conditions is to stay on - which I would assume is a pre-requiste, and that has been met then I'm not sure that any takeover will have a proper effect.

Root and branch is what is needed - Doug remaining ensures that the roots of our failings remain intact - which in turn will have an effect on the new regime - I would be very suprised if Randy agreed to this - especially after having witnessed the guile of the man, first hand.

......saying that, I have played Devils Advocate to a degree, I read 'Randy flying over here yesterday' the same way as you - indeed the last week has pointed towards Randy and his team tying up the loose ends.

Perhaps it is too much to believe Doug is on his way out - and perhaps I have huge doubts about any consortium that meets each and every one of his demands, I think this is where my scepticism is coming from?

Pete - if one of his conditions is to stay on - which I would assume is a pre-requiste, and that has been met then I'm not sure that any takeover will have a proper effect.

I thought it had been established that he can't do that.

yeah Doug kept on but in what capacity, president, board member....doesnt mean he'll have much or any power but he keeps in touch with the club. I think he realises he wont have the control he does now.....but as president he can do stuff like he did yesterday which he loves, just means he doesnt make the decisions

If the post on offer is that of " life president". Then he may be still at the club, but he'll have no more power than a cloakroom attendant. Might be fun to see him squirm every time a cheque gets signed by someone else. He could always fill in with a bit of dusting and sweeping. :lol:

I think it was quite telling in the press onference that Ellis said he was flying out with MON to Hanover today and then he would be flying back on Sunday. Usually Ellis would stay with the club for the duration of such trips.

Clearly Ellis needs to be back in England for something and I'd imagine with our American friend currently rumoured to be back in the country it doesn't take a genius to work out this is the reason Ellis is coming straight back.

I doubt Lerner has come bcak to be **** around again and I doubt he'll be over here long so I'd expect major developments early next week.

I think that this depends heavily on the extent to which "he stays on". If for example he is left with, say, a 3% shareholding and some non-executive role like president then this is pretty harmless as long as the new owners control more than 50% of the total and are free to do whatever they like. he can sit in the directors box all he likes for all I care, what matters is who holds the power.

Now if there was a situation where, for example, someone just buys 29.9% of the club, leaving petchey's 21-22% intact and Doug and family with 9%, this is rather a different scenario and represents nothing much changing, as ellis and petchey could join forces to over-ride the new owners.

Perhaps it is too much to believe Doug is on his way out - and perhaps I have huge doubts about any consortium that meets each and every one of his demands, I think this is where my scepticism is coming from?

I dont think his demands are anything like you fear.

I doubt Lerner has come bcak to be **** around again and I doubt he'll be over here long so I'd expect major developments early next week.

lerner has already gone I think

I think that this depends heavily on the extent to which "he stays on". If for example he is left with, say, a 3% shareholding and some non-executive role like president then this is pretty harmless as long as the new owners control more than 50% of the total and are free to do whatever they like. he can sit in the directors box all he likes for all I care, what matters is who holds the power.

Now if there was a situation where, for example, someone just buys 29.9% of the club, leaving petchey's 21-22% intact and Doug and family with 9%, this is rather a different scenario and represents nothing much changing, as ellis and petchey could join forces to over-ride the new owners.

I dont think his demands are anything like you fear.

can he buy most of ellis's shares and say buy out all the fans then,i know feck all about this so im sorry if i come across thick :?

can he buy most of ellis's shares and say buy out all the fans then,i know feck all about this so im sorry if i come across thick :?

I dont think there are enough fan held shares to make this possible, I might be wrong on that, but thats the impression I have

lerner has already gone I think

According to TT RL's jet left Luton Airport earlier this morning

seems a bit strange, as if he's waited till saturday morning, so doesnt have to worry the LSE, so leaves the proposal today so the board (doug) can mull it over before doing something with it on monday.........

ok I'm hoping

I can remember earler this week 99% of posters on here saying if MON comes Ellis is out so whats changed?

If anything the press conference has made me even more convinced Ellis is on the way out. Ellis said very little and didn't even know that O'Neills assistants had agreed to join up and would be coming on the tour. Shows how much Ellis was involved in negotiations doesn't it.

Nothings changed from what we all felt last week.

MON would not have agreed to come if Ellis was staying and quite simply Ellis himself knows Villa don't currently have the funds to service the kind of club MON would have stated he wants to build when he agreed to join.

Also does anyone honestly think an educated man like MON would risk destroying a reputation that has taken him years to build by taking a massive gamble working under Ellis.

Nothings changed from everyones opinion last week that MON would not join Villa and work under Ellis.

Everything points to the fact Ellis is going its as simple as that.