Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Good point Den, and of course this misses the fact that his wife and kids have no love of even football never mind the club.

some people on here might be able to confirm this but does his Kids (Peter Excepted) and Heidi ever turn up at games or even the ground.

Last time I remember seeing Heidi next to Doug was at teh FA cup final, all shots of Ellis at VP never show his family close.

I did hear that Ellis is a fairly lonely figure within his family.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand Mrs.Ellis attends several games a season. He has grandchildren that occasionally attend. Thats it

ok Den but it also sort of proves they have no great love for the club.

Here is a question say Ellis sold and got £20m can he avoid inheritance tax on this befor ehe dies ?

Ian,

Inheritance tax (IHT) kicks in at £263,000. The value of estates above that level is taxed at 40%, and Gordon Brown has ignored all pleas to whack up the threshold. Here's how our chairman could minimise the damage.

Trusts: Assets can be put in trust for children or grandchildren, which reduces tax liability.

Home owners: If “Deadly Towers” is owned as 'tenants in common' rather than 'joint tenants' (as most people do) then when one partner dies, their half can be left directly to (say) the children. The surviving spouse's estate is reduced, but they can still live in the house.

Gifts: He can give away £250 each year to as many people as he likes (which I take would be nobody). He can also give £3,000 a year to one or more recipients, and can roll over any unused allowance to the next tax year.

Seven-year rule: He can gift money or any other asset to anyone - and they won't count as part of his estate, so long as he survives at least seven years. (Taper relief may be available if he holds out for more than three years.) Has he left this too late?

Charity: Any donations left to charity, or even a political party, are tax-free. I would anticipate that charity would stop at his doorstep or could he claim AVFC are a charity as we make regular donations to his bank account!

I doubt that he actually believes that he will ever die (he may have come to some arrangement concerning this). :winkold: If he does accept that the sands of time will one day run out for him, I suspect he is unwilling to consider just how close that prospect may be. He has the wealth to get the best possible advice on how to avoid IHT if he chooses to seek it. But, I would anticipate that he does expect to take his money with him when the time comes.

Ps - I wonder if his relatives pay for their tickets? :roll: At a time when we are so short of cash any help would be most appreciated no matter how infrequently it might be forthcoming.

I guess the point is John is whether for the inheritance it is best if he sells before or after his death or does it maake no real difference ?

I doubt at the moment that it makes much if any difference Ian. But, it would make a world of difference to our football club.

One thing we can all agree on about Ellis is that he's a stubborn old bugger. If he or the board didn't want to buy players in the transfer window. He wouldn't - regardless of the stick he gets from fans.

Any suggestion that this takeover is an elaborate ploy to avoid buying a player is absolute madness.

I guess the point is John is whether for the inheritance it is best if he sells before or after his death or does it maake no real difference ?

Not for IHT perhaps BUT if he 'drops off the twig' leaving his family several million AVFCPLC shares they might just sell to anyone for anything........ at least I HOPE he is also doing the best at the moment for the club.

If elies didn't want to sell he wouldnt, and he wouldnt even entertain the idea, just as he hasn't for many years up to now. he wants to sell cos quite frankly he's almost dead. It sounds to me like he is extremely ill and is having very little involvement at the moment in the day to day running of the club, which is why the board are tying up kit deals and appointing rothchilds. This is just my take because I dont know what goes on in the boardroom. but the uses of words 'evidence' and 'facts' on this site in the absence of anything like hard facts is laughable

Jonny you have probably summed it up as good as anyone, but the last sentence is key.

OK if people want ultimate proof of what is going on none of us can prove anything but there is circumstantila eveidence, information passed on and friends, you takes your pick.

whaat is laffable is your ignorance of Ellis, int he past before his heart op he always denied he wwould ever sell, any time there was a rumour he either dismissed the bid or claimed the box.

the fact he has never said he would staay is totally signifcant aand as a friend of mine said who works in PR, if you don't hear anything it is true, in PR it is toally bad practice to allow what you think are untrue rumours float without a denial.

I think you'll find people worry more about the rumours that are true than the false ones. And allowing this untrue rumour to float has let him get away answering any questions regarding appointing some responsible management.

It's Ellis' own arrogance and ego that will stop him selling.

Following prudence, you are now bestowing upon cuddly the gift of consistency. After all Ellis has never acted like a chameleon changing his opinion or support just to suit himself. Nope, straight down the middle that bloke. never waivers.