The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I saw the who Rigo v Donaire fight the other evening, wow, he definately schooled him. I'm surprised some of the judges had it as close as they did on the score cards though, I mean 114-113, 115-112 and 116-111, really?? I had it 117-110.

You could tell Rigo had won as Donaire's face had a lot of damage on!! I was actually surprised by Rigo's power too. Great movement too, but the crowd were shocking....just stop booing and watch it for what it is, a technical boxing match and not a war!!

As for the weekend I reckon Canelo v Trout is hard to call but I think Canelo just edges that one.

I'm pretty convinced that Canelo's lack of boxing skill will be exposed by the better schooled and much slicker Trout. Canelo has the puncher's chance, that's it.

The only way I see Canelo edging it is if he scores two or three knock downs in the fight, losing the other rounds. There's also the fact that he's a cash cow so Trout getting robbed or the scorecards being much closer than they should be (like Donaire-Rigo) isn't out of the question. 

The reason the Donaire-Rigo cards were so close is of course down to the fact that Donaire sold pretty much all the tickets (Rigo couldn't draw flies to shit) and is big amongst the very much engaged Filipino population in the US.

Thing is that Canelo loves to hammer away at the body, he does come it too square on sometimes but the power he has could potentially wear trout down.

I know what you mean about the scorecards I would love to see Canelo do it in style but if he robs trout on the cards I won't be happy and will be the first one to shout that it is an injustice.

Just wondering Dr P if Alvarez does win (and if he wins convincingly) would that change your opinion on him, no one will be able to say that Trout is a bum anyway.

I think this one will be a real good scrap and can't see any stoppages until the later rounds

Edited by leemond2008

Just taking a look at the odds on the fight, **** me they have Canelo winning it easy, I mite have a couple of quid on Trout

£10 on Trout will bring back £30 whilst the same money on Alvarez will bring back £14

any way's

Tomorrow night from 7pm

Live from Wembley Arena, London
The WBO World Light-Heavyweight Championship

Nathan Cleverly vs Robin Krasniqi

Nathan Cleverly stages another defence of his WBO World Light-Heavyweight title against his mandatory opponent Robin Krasniqi.

10x3 Minute Round International Heavyweight Contest

Dereck Chisora vs Hector Alfredo Avila

The return of Dereck Chisora against Hector Alfredo Avila. Chisora will look to get a "W" on his record after a seriously eventful 2012 featured high profile losses against Vitali Klitschko and David Haye.

The WBO European Lightweight Championship

Liam Walsh vs Scott Harrison

Liam Walsh returns from injury following a car accident and looks to defend his WBO European Lightweight title against former two-time World Champion Scott Harrison.

The Commonwealth Super-Flyweight Championship

Yaqub Kareem vs Paul Butler

Unbeaten Ellesmere Port fighter and British champion Paul Butler challenges Nigeria's Yaqub Kareem for the Commonwealth Super-Flyweight title as part of a deep undercard on BoxNation.

8x3 Minute Rounds at Super-Middleweight

Frank Buglioni vs Darren McKenna

followed by

Live from The Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, USA
The WBC and WBA Super World Light-Middleweight Championships

Austin Trout vs Saul Alvarez

Saul Alvarez and Austin Trout, Ring Magazine's second and third ranked light-middleweights, do battle in a major light-middleweight unification bout live and exclusive on BoxNation.

With Tyson Fury and Steve Cunningham in the mix on channel 5 somewhere I believe

Edited by leemond2008

The Tyson Fury fight has just started on C5.  Not sure what time the first bell rings, but it won't be long.   I fancy Fury here, he really has stepped up in the past year or so and he is such a big bastard he will overwhelm Cunningham physically tonight.  I'm going to stick my neck out and say a late stoppage for Fury. 

Him being a dickhead is all pantomime though.  He knows if he talks shit then people will pay attention to him, and in boxing that is generally a good thing. 

Fury looks shite.  It's as if somebody told him before the fight that he has such a reach advantage that all he has to do is keep sending that jab out and he will win.  Cunningham figured out the jab half way through the first round and Fury doesn't appear to have noticed yet. 

I give Fury rounds 1, 5 & 6. 

Cunningham rounds 2, 3 &4. 

Points deduction and knockdown included I have Cunningham two points ahead after six. 

HUGE knockout! 

The bodyshot was brutal to set it up, but that uppercut  hook was a peach.   

Edited by The_Rev

Fury's a bum, dropped by a blown up cruiserweight who was always a non-puncher at that weight, struggled throughout most of it, and had to set up the KO via a foul. Can't stand him, I hope he gets violently and brutally knocked out to the point where he has to retire from the sport.

Wladimir would destroy him for starters. The guy is a 6 foot 9 bum.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â