The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

http://youtu.be/sP9eT0yvexU

Must have been after the press conference because he attended that.   Price pretty gracious in defeat if you watch the conference. He claims the shot him him right on the ear and perforated his ear drum, which took his sense of balance away from him. 

If it is a perforated ear drum then this is excellent news for him and his PR team. It will enable them to play down the chin issue and to pass this off as a freak incident. Darren Barker went down with a perforated ear drum in the Martinez fight so yeah, some good news for him.

I still don't think he has a good chin though but that's based on the stoppages he had in the amateurs. He also needs a new trainer because he looked very cumbersome in the first round and he really doesn't use the jab well, and working behind the jab is a prerequisite for success in this division nowadays.

Haven't watched the clip and I'm not sure if I'm buying the eardrum thing, take a look at the Fury v Price clip on YouTube from when they were amateurs and price went down from a pretty much identical punch.

I perforated my ear drum a few years back and I didn't wobble around like a clown afterwards, smells of a big toe to me, after the event I am not really interested in excuses

Come on then Dr P is there anything decent on this weekend?

I know that Matty Hatton is fighting but other than that there isn't much that I am too interested in that I know of.

Box nation schedule

The IBO World Welterweight Championship

18:00 GMT

Chris van Heerden vs Matthew Hatton

Chris "The Heat" van Heerden defends his IBO World Welterweight title against "Magic" Matthew Hatton exclusively on BoxNation, the Channel of Champions.

2:00am

The WBA World Lightweight Championship

Richard Abril vs Sharif Bogere

Cuban Richard Abril fights one of the lightweight division's hottest prospects in the form of the unbeaten Ugandan Sharif Bogere with the WBA World Lightweight Championship on the line.

10x3 Minute Round International Featherweight Contest

Gary Russell Junior vs Vyacheslav Gusev

The USBA's number two ranked featherweight, the unbeaten Gary Russell Junior, faces a fourth career bout over 10 rounds against Russia's 20 - 2 Vyacheslav Gusev.

Come on then Dr P is there anything decent on this weekend?

I know that Matty Hatton is fighting but other than that there isn't much that I am too interested in that I know of.

Box nation schedule

The IBO World Welterweight Championship

18:00 GMT

Chris van Heerden vs Matthew Hatton

Chris "The Heat" van Heerden defends his IBO World Welterweight title against "Magic" Matthew Hatton exclusively on BoxNation, the Channel of Champions.

2:00am

The WBA World Lightweight Championship

Richard Abril vs Sharif Bogere

Cuban Richard Abril fights one of the lightweight division's hottest prospects in the form of the unbeaten Ugandan Sharif Bogere with the WBA World Lightweight Championship on the line.

10x3 Minute Round International Featherweight Contest

Gary Russell Junior vs Vyacheslav Gusev

The USBA's number two ranked featherweight, the unbeaten Gary Russell Junior, faces a fourth career bout over 10 rounds against Russia's 20 - 2 Vyacheslav Gusev.

Not much on really, Abril is a skilful boxer whose claim to fame is schooling Brandon Rios (and getting robbed). Russell Jr is considered a big prospect but is fighting bums. Matthew Hatton I couldn't care less about lol. Billy Dib is on ESPN's Friday Night Fights but yeah, not much of a weekend for boxing, again.

So...

George Groves pulls out of his fight with Ndiaye and moves to Eddie Hearns stable

Ricky Burns pulls out of his fight with Vasquez because they cant aggree terms

Derek Chisora most likely wont be fighting because he hasn't had his hearing with the boxing board about his licence yet

looks like it'll be a lonely night for Nathan Cleverley

Boxnation really needs to do something spectacular to keep taking £10 a month off me, the fights so far have been piss poor this year and this was the first night I was really looking forward to.

It seems a strange choice for Groves to be moving over the Eddie Hearn rather than sticking with Frank Warren, that will more than likely mean that all of Groves fights will be back on Sky Sports now doesn't it.

I cant see how Burns can withdraw from a fight less than two weeks before the start of it and say it is down to being ''unable to agree terms' surely that is the sort of stuff that is put to bed before the fight is even announced.

From what I've heard the Burns fight is postponed and not going to be called off, Burns definitely gets schooled in that one IMO. 

Cleverly well, the guy is a paper champ with a record full of bums and corpses like his Welsh hero Calzaghe. 

B-hop returns to fight Cloud next week, I'm actually looking forward to it. Cloud is overrated but does have good power, B-hop, if he uses a lot of lateral movement can school him. B-hop however has lost a lot of his reflexes, he got caught several times and hurt badly (the first time I've seen him hurt) in his fights with Pascal. But I'm not  sure Cloud has the hand speed that Pascal does. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

How do you rate B-Hop in terms of his legacy?  I don't think there has ever been a better "old" fighter, and the fact that he has been so good for so long cements his place amongst the all time greats.  

How do you rate B-Hop in terms of his legacy?  I don't think there has ever been a better "old" fighter, and the fact that he has been so good for so long cements his place amongst the all time greats.  

Definitely amongst the greats (perhaps top 20 all time), definitely above someone like Joe Calzaghe. He's a real master of craft, excellent mover, excellent thinker, very good counter puncher, and an all time great fouler. Something of a lighter Jersey Joe Walcott. He's one of the best middleweights of all time and his reinvention as a light heavy has also been successful. 

He typically struggled against awkward fighters that had a lot of speed and pressed him at a high tempo, like Jermaine Taylor and Calzaghe (although I didn't think that Calzaghe won that fight). Also Roy Jones did dominate him back in like 1993.

His most stand out performances were against Tito Trinidad, Antonio Tarver and Pascal. I recently watched the second fight with Pascal and it was awesome, what a display of class against a much younger and stronger opponent. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

There is no shame to losing to a prime Roy Jones though.  He is still my favourite fighter ever, and he poses an interesting question of how do you rate a fighter (or a footballer in fact) over a career. Is it how good they were at their absolute peak? Is it how good they were overall?  I think there are few fighters who were better than a prime Roy Jones jr, but he traded heavily on reflexes and reactions and once they were gone he was gone.  I've said this before but if Jones had retired immediately after winning the heavyweight title then people might be talking about him being top ten P4P of all time. 

Jones has diminished his legacy by continuing after the first knock out to Tarver. Still, in his prime he was one of the most incredible forces to ever step foot in the ring. 

I think Jones is the best athlete to ever lace up the gloves and one of the great athletes across all sports period. Obviously his athleticism masked his lack of (defensive) skill. One thing you also have to question is the level of opponents he chose to fought in order to defend his undisputed Light-Heavy Weight crown. 

Almost everyone he fought after Virgil Hill was garbage (save for Harding who gave Jones a hard fight), even Hill was over the hill at that point. Also he was only ever a paper champ at Heavyweight since he beat a paper champ and the worst titlist at the time in Ruiz.

He had some money fights on the table but chose not to pursue, including a fight with Hopkins at a catchweight, Toney at Cruiserweight and then a much less lucrative but really interesting fight at Cruiserweight against Jirov.  

All that said he's still one of my favourite all time fighters and I hate Calzaghe fans who think his win over Jones is worth anything. 

In retrospect Jones should have just packed it in after the first Tarver fight. Although a relatively close fight I always felt that Jones was the clear winner in that one. 

So now Ricky Burns has left Frank Warren as well, suppose he will be on his way over to Eddie Hearn with George Groves as well, looks like Sky are getting a few decent English fighters back.

Rite after I have just cancelled sky **** sports as well

Internet rumours about Broner vs Malignaggi in June continue to circulate.   Any idea what weight they would meet at?  It would have to be some kind of catch weight, surely? 

Â