The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Is Rees not worth a bet at 12/1 then, Dr P?

lol at 12/1 it might be worth a pop if you've got a spare 10a or so that you don't really care about.

What Rees has going for him is that he has fought at light welter so is used to taking the punch at a bigger weight and has good physical strength. However I just don't see him having the skill set or the power to trouble Broner. Rees was largely out boxed and stopped by a prime Kotelnik, a decent boxer in his pomp but not in Broner's class.

I just don't see how Rees can win, he doesn't have a lot of power, Broner has considerable height and reach advantage, Rees spoke about fighting a long game, so Broner most likely picks him off and stops him.

Well I'm glad to say that I didn't have it after reading this so you saved me some cash :)

lol no problem, it was a demolition job, although Rees won round 1 and arguably the second (even on my card), Broner was only measuring him and getting a feel for his speed and power.

What was interesting was that Rees did manage to land a few shots and HBO reckon he landed more on Broner than his last 3 opponents put together. I don't think Broner is THAT good defensively as he seems to lack head movement. I think he may come undone when he moves upto light welter.

I think he'd steam roller Burns but in fact Vazquez could give him problems with his style (Vazquez should beat Burns by a wide decision).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Broners problem defensively is that he tries to fight side on and hide behind his shoulder like Mayweather, the only thing is that Mayweather has probably the biggest shoulder in the history of mankind and Broner is never going to be able to get his defence to the same level as Floyd.

I gave Rees the first two rounds quite easily but even when Broner took control I wasn't as impressed as I have been with him previously, Rees seemed to be landing quite easily at times, you could argue that Broner wasn't taking as much care as he could have been because Rees just didn't have the power to hurt him and he knew it but if he moves up a weight and allows himself to get tagged like that he could be in trouble.

If he was to fight Burns I think that Burns would really have to work behind the jab and keep Broner away from him, Burns would have a massive reach advantage and I think that would be the only way he could get anything to work for him

Rees tells Burns to stay away from Broner

ESPN staff
February 18, 2013 « Rory faces Lowry in Match Play opener | Rodgers wants big push from Liverpool »

46169.2.jpg

Gavin Rees was overwhelmed by Adrien Broner © AP

Enlarge

Gavin Rees has warned Ricky Burns against stepping into the ring with Adrien Broner.

Broner took his unbeaten record to 26-0 with a five-round mauling of Rees in their WBC lightweight title fight in Atlantic City at the weekend.

Burns has spoken positively about taking on Broner and the American is ready to give him a shot if WBO title holder Burns takes care of Miguel Vazquez next month.

"I want to fight him," Broner said. "I'm not sure he wants to fight me but if it happens, Burns will get burned."

Broner's nickname is 'the Problem' and Rees feels that is exactly what he would be for Burns.

"To be honest, I can't see Ricky getting close to beating him," Rees said. "It pains me to say this, but Broner's too good. His hands are so fast that Ricky won't even see the punches coming. He also hits extremely hard. He has phenomenal power for a lightweight.

"Broner is far and away the best I've been in with. He really is something. No-one has ever treated me like that in the ring. I've sparred with Ricky. Sorry, I can't see him handling this boy."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/193677.html#TwSJf7hOjF1UW4Gr.99

I dont think it would be as cut and dry against Khan as you would think. Broner's poor footwork and movement is Khan's strength but Khan's weakness is his chin and brain. I think it would be an exciting match up...i would go 70-30 Broner.

Broner stoppage for me. Khan is excellent as an offensive fighter, great foot and hand speed and he is a very good puncher. He is also reckless which is where he would be undone.

Khan would give Broner problems if he fights at range and uses his jab. Broner is being overrated, who has he fought? Nobodies that's who. As much as I don't like Khan he's a different galaxy away from the level of competition Broner has been in there with.

If Khan boxes smart he can win. Broner would also struggle with Matthysse at 140 as Broner isn't that hard to find because he firstly has no head movement and also doesn't have particularly great foot-speed. Broner isn't a particularly good defensive fighter. He's lucky that he hasn't fought any good fighters yet (even then Ponce De Leon beat him).

Broner looks great against poor lightweights like De Marco and Rees and poor feathweights like Eloy Perez but will get exposed at 140. Yep his hand speed is incredible and his combination punching also excellent but his defence isn't.

the competition would be good in the 140 division and he could get some real good fights from there, if he came up against Garcia and he was collared with one of his trademark left hooks that would be interesting too.

I think Garcia is massively overrated but you cant deny the power in that hook that he has

I watched the Broner fight and was impressed, he obviously have a bright future ahead of him, but I did expect him to beat Rees. I think he should have one more fight at 135, against the winner of Burns/Vasquez and then move up to 140 where there are bigger fights (and more money!).

140 is an exciting division, Peterson and Garcia are current champions (does JMM still hold a belt too?), but then you have Khan, Matthysse and Rios.

I can see Khan v Broner being made in future as both sell tickets, if Khan can stay out of range he has a chance, problem is if he starts to trade, Broner has the power to KO him.

As for Frampton, he has talent, but not sure how he goes about winning a world title, as the division he is in is really tough, Donaire, Rigondeaux and Mares!! Looking forward to Donaire v Rigo too, I think Donaire wins but will be a good fight.

Forgot to mention this yesterday but it looks like Canelo v Trout could be happening.

I think this will massively divide opinion on who wins, it will certainly be an entertaining night anyway and I would love to see Alvarez come out on top.

Alvarez is one of my favourite boxers at the minute I know that his record is padded but I think the potential in him is massive and this is one hell of a brave fight choice for him and is one he didn't necessarily need to take considering how he seems to be one of the favourites to fight Mayweather in the future so I think you have to give him props for that alone regardless of who wins.

I give Alvarez credit for fighting a top junior middleweight for once unlike the corpses and blown up welterweights he has fought thus far.

But I think that Trout has high quality boxing skills, movement, jab and punch variety with good handspeed. The only thing he lacks is good power at the weight. Canelo besides power doesn't have a lot, he isn't that good at setting up his punches and doesn't have much of a defence IMO. That said he can win this if he's able to find Trout and nail him with a big shot. But I think Trout is too smart to get caught.

Â