The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think Froch has quite a lot of miles on the clock, he has been operating at the elite end of his division for 5 years now and has gone the distance in most of those fights, he has continually used his face as a shield and has absorbed a lot of punishment. I actually think that if he's not too careful his chin will eventually be cracked. I don't think Groves is the one to do it unless he lands a miracle punch.

I find Groves pretty ordinary and I agree with Donnie that this could be a similar demolition job to that of the Bute fight. Although it may take longer as Groves will start the fight running.

Well annoyed with the so called Massive fight kell brook was to have announced this week.

It's senchenko. How shit is that. Paulie schooled him and a well past it Hatton give him problems. Superfight my arse.

Kolavev is the bookies favourite against cleverly which is surprising. Any one seen much of Kolavev can't say I have. I know he has power that's about it

Edited by donnie

Kovalev will stop Cleverly, he's a very big puncher but is also very high volume, which is quite rare for a puncher. Can't wait to see the Cleverly hype train get derailed.

Cleverly has no real defence and there's no way anyone at lightheavy can absorb a lot of Kovalev's punches, I see Cleverly looking to impose his physical size and punching volume on Kovalev but I expect him to get hit a lot of hurt, Kovalev is a very fast starter. Cleverly can take a shot so it'll be fun whilst it lasts. I'm not sure whether Kovalev has a chin, I assume he does and besides Cleverly doesn't hit particularly hard anyway so I doubt that issue will be answered,

Kovalev's best win to date is against Gabe Campillo, a very slick and technically sound boxer who was robbed against Murat and Tavoris Cloud. Besides that win Kovalev's resume is weak, but then, so is Cleverly's. Campillo is a better boxer than anyone Cleverly has beaten IMO.

As far as Brook is concerned, well he'll be a joke until he steps up to world level. If Senchenko is his opponent then again he will have failed to find a world class operator to test himself against. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Kovalev will stop Cleverly, he's a very big puncher but is also very high volume, which is quite rare for a puncher. Can't wait to see the Cleverly hype train get derailed.

Cleverly has no real defence and there's no way anyone at lightheavy can absorb a lot of Kovalev's punches, I see Cleverly looking to impose his physical size and punching volume on Kovalev but I expect him to get hit a lot of hurt, Kovalev is a very fast starter. Cleverly can take a shot so it'll be fun whilst it lasts. I'm not sure whether Kovalev has a chin, I assume he does and besides Cleverly doesn't hit particularly hard anyway so I doubt that issue will be answered,

Kovalev's best win to date is against Gabe Campillo, a very slick and technically sound boxer who was robbed against Murat and Tavoris Cloud. Besides that win Kovalev's resume is weak, but then, so is Cleverly's. Campillo is a better boxer than anyone Cleverly has beaten IMO.

As far as Brook is concerned, well he'll be a joke until he steps up to world level. If Senchenko is his opponent then again he will have failed to find a world class operator to test himself against.

Mmm sounds like an exciting fight then unlike the usual bums Nathan fights. I personally rate Nathan but as you say he has no power. His chin seems good though maybe he would out work kolavev and nick it on points?! I'll watch a YouTube clip of him then you sold him well. Sounds like my favourite fighter at the minute golovkin.

2 big domestic fights upcoming that will go under the radar is jazza dickons v kid gala had and Billy Joe v ryder. Interesting bouts on paper.

Cleverly is a 1000 punch-a-fight boxer although Kovalev throws at a similar rate, plus he has a lot more power, I don't see Kovalev being out worked because I don't see Cleverly packing the power to consistently back him up, whereas when Kovalev lands flush Cleverly will be forced back and his output will drop.

Kovalev IMO hits too hard to be out worked over the distance unless I'm severely underrating Cleverly's boxing skills here. Kovalev is different to Golovkin because he throws a lot more punches, he's a lot more active. Also, an interesting footnote to Kovalev's power is that he has actually killed an opponent. Anyway, the fight to watch of his would be the Campillo one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCWrDPG2GI

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty hilarious, if you thought Roy Jones' rapping was bad, check out Danny Swift Garcia:

I have to LOL at the top comment:

"Poor Danny is looking for a new profession in the eve of his asswhoopings by Matthysse" Couldn't agree more, Matthysse is going to tax that ass.

Deontay Wilder carries on his KO streak by starching another bum Siarhei Liakhovic. Liakhovic of course is a former World (paper) Champ having beaten Lamont Brewster for the WBO title, subsequently losing it to a shop worn Shannon Briggs. He's one of the worst heavyweight champs ever and is now a bum having come off of two KO losses and a long lay off.

Anyway, this is worth watching if you like brutal KO's, the way Liakhovic's body reacts to the knockdown is not nice.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

juan-manuel-marquez.jpg

Marquez posing ahead of his fight with Bradley in October. Sure looks like one hell of a growth hormone gut to me.

Most people won't agree but IMHO I don't think marquez won any of the fights except the Ko against pacman

Big fight weekend.

Cleverly an underdog against kolavev

Average Darren barker against geale. Darren barker has a good chance here. Geale is decent but nothing special. If Darren don't win this he will never win a world title.

I hope he wins however so we can see barker v Murray / macklin . Of the 3 I rate Murray the most. Macklin is a deluded clown.

Geale is a very good boxer, very busy and slick, at times fights out of something that resembles a Philly-Shell, I like him and I hope he wins. 

I also hope Cleverly gets knocked the **** out by Kovalev, Kovalev isn't a huge favourite in terms of the odds but I do expect him to stop 'Clev'. It will be interesting if Cleverly can last beyond 5 rounds as Kovalev hasn't had to do that very often, also if he doesn't stop Cleverly he is prime to get robbed on the cards.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Clev likes to stand and trade too much.  He is like Tyson Fury on that front, and like Fury he is going to meet somebody who will knock him out sooner rather than later. 

Bad news about the Kovalev fight, Terry O'Conner is going to be the ref, this guy is a **** disgrace at the best of times and loves to jump in and stop fights early when a Brit is involved (see Calslappy vs Manfredo as one his worst examples). Kovalev simply can't afford to buzzed in this one because 'Tezza', a Warren Ref, will be in to stop the action.

saul-alvarez.jpg

Saw this doing the rounds earlier, easy to make some kind of homoerotic joke I guess but it is from the 30 day weigh in ahead of the Mayweather - Canelo fight.  Canelo still has to lose 15 lbs in 30 days, but he looks absolutely ripped.  How much fluid can he drop, because there ain't no fat left and he doesn't want to lose muscle.  Chances of him being drained when he steps into the ring next month? 

He apparently weighed 166 lbs in that picture, there doesn't appear to be another 14lbs to shred but I'm sure he'll do it. He obviously got down to 154lbs for the Trout fight, another 2 extra lbs shouldn't be that difficult for him.

Obviously it's Mayweather's plan to have a corpse in front of him on September 13th, perhaps he'll get that. Canelo is the Chavez Jnr of super welterweight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â