Claret & Blue Blood #27

ChrisVillan

After a lengthy hiatus, ChrisVillan's regular column makes a less-than-triumphant return. Let's see if he can come up with a whole column now that there's relatively little to moan about.

Welcome one and all to Claret & Blue Blood, my weekly column covering all things Villa. Well, some things Villa. And it's sort of weekly, it's just that I take a year off every now and then. But I'm back, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You can follow both my bad self and VillaTalk on Twitter. Then again, they're both me. But the content is different.

Moscow, Manchester and Dubai

I think we can all agree things have gone a little pear-shaped recently. While I agree with our half-arsed approach to the FA Cup and, controversially, our no-arsed attempt to win the UEFA Cup, the potential fruits of Martin O'Neill's decisions have yet to be shown. In the meantime our boys have clearly been knackered, regardless of what O'Neill says in public, and Arsenal have predictably stopped being utter pony. They've whittled our lead in fourth down to three points, so we really need to be on our game through the business end of the season.

Our Round of 32 UEFA Cup tie against Moscow was disappointing, and the factors, reasons, excuses and arguments have been covered at length elsewhere. After that, Stoke City came calling and we swiftly put them out of their misery. Only problem is we then let them come back from the dead, a lack of focus and awareness which indicated the need for a rest. We limped into our away game at Manchester City desperate for a break which, luckily, we've now been able to take.

The Villa spent some time in Dubai during that break and are said to be "refreshed". Similar trips have been taken in the last two seasons and sparked impressive sprints to the line. With no margin for error, let's hope it happens again.

Sevilla dreaming

I'm sure you'll excuse me for not going to the airport to wave Martin O'Neill off just yet. Sevilla FC have reportedly placed the Villa boss on a shortlist to replace Manolo Jimenez. Right. It's been said on the message board already, but a shortlist doesn't really count if it's got George Bush, Clarke Kent, me, Zippy and Bungle, Ghandi and Mrs Miggins on it.

The chances of Martin leaving in the middle of Project Villa for a job of such standing are somewhere between none and f*ck all. But moaning Villa fans must be irritating nonetheless, so let's get behind him shall we? Actually, judging by the slating handed out to Steve Sidwell and Carlos Cuellar recently, perhaps not.

Bring on Tottenham

Oh the joy! As if one visit a season from every Villa fan's favourite wonky-mugged cockney bastard Harry Redknapp weren't enough, he set himself up for a premature return by moving to Spurs. Now, I certainly wouldn't advocate coin-throwing, but let's remember that Redknapp called us "filth" and "scum" before that incident because we had the cheek to slag him off after he was "caught up" in corruption "allegations". Funnily enough, filth and scum are two of the nicer words I've used to describe the prick.

There's a rather nice run-down of Redknapp's crimes against football on the boards, but suffice to say our hatred of him is fully deserved. As I've posted to my blog on many occasions - and once unwittingly ranted to a friend of his - when Redknapp left West Ham, Southampton and Portsmouth they ended up in financial trouble and Bournemouth are half dead. Nigel Quashie on £35,000 a week? Hmmm. The man is a poison. That is why we don't like you, you odious bastard.

Magic Marlon heading for the exit

Looks like our Marlon could be on the move in the summer. Brought in from West Ham, Harewood disappointed initially before having a storming second half of the season last term, scoring some vital goals and endearing himself to fans by generally being a bit nuts. The sad truth for Marlon is that he isn't top four material, and I just hope he gets a good move. West Brom and Stoke were heavily linked in the January window, but judging by this week's speculation it is now Wolves who lead the chase. I think he'd do a job for him, and I for one will wish him all the best.

Up the Villa.

ChrisVillan

Odious bastard is about right, cant stand that guy

I'm not sure it is correct to being so critical of a manager just before we play his team in one of the most important games of our season? I don't think MON would thank any of us for those sort of comments, even though some fans here, may think that they are well founded!

God is in his heaven and all is right with the world - CV is sharing his thoughts with the masses once more! I've missed you C-dog

Get used to it mate, I've cleared the diary to dedicate some more time to this ol' place.

If Redknapp is reading VillaTalk he's probably taking his mind games a bit too far.

Probably right. However, fans sometimes go onto each other's websites just before a game, and website quotes can find their way into a player, or manager's locker room, amongst other things!

Odious bastard is about right, cant stand that guy

I'm not sure it is correct to being so critical of a manager just before we play his team in one of the most important games of our season? I don't think MON would thank any of us for those sort of comments, even though some fans here, may think that they are well founded!

I cant believe that you seriously believe that for a second.

PB posts something, so oh look who's there with a criticism. getting a bit tiresome now really,although I am very flattered that you take such an interest in my POV. nice to have a stalker.

PB posts something, so oh look who's there with a criticism. getting a bit tiresome now really,although I am very flattered that you take such an interest in my POV. nice to have a stalker.

PB, you really should get out a bit more!!

Â