Did anybody really think 'significant' funds were available?

ahamaad

Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't believe a word HDE says but was prepared to this time

[.....

So Villa never signed anyone after Juninho or Holland??

Oh come on John.

Are you available for summer season?

Come on 1982 I honestly think you are a person who has a few brain cells about him, but trying to defend the situation as it stands now is laughable.

If we sign Baros for 6 million, how can that be classified as significant based on what was supposedly available before, what the team has picked up from prize monies, what the club has earned from TV and sponsorship and from the supposedly good financial shape we are in.

Your defence of the club is admirable but very very very misguided

Where was it that Villa said we would spend £20m in the transfer market because i can't remember them saying anything of the sort. If Villa go out and spend £6m on Baros and a few million more on a couple of defenders then i will be satisfied we've spent a 'significant' amount of money, and i'm pretty sure most Villa fans would agree.

If Baros comes and a decent defender or two follow then i will be very happy with our summer signings as i think we've improved our squad a lot.

Some people on here ignore the quality in our squad but are infatuated with how much cash we spend.

Open your eyes.

avfc1982 you are on record many times on VT as saying you will only be happy this summer if we sign another striker and a central defender (it may have been a left back too can't remember) so in light of that repeated statement, why do you appear to be arguing a contrary opinion on this particular topic?

Just curious you know?

If Baros comes in OK but compared to others and in the whole scheme of things it IS NOT significant.

Compared to who drat??

Spurs, Boro, Small Heath

So if we spend the £6m on Baros it still won't compare to what those club's have spent??

Oh pull the other one, just how much money do you think those other club's have spent??

[...........................

Where was it that Villa said we would spend £20m in the transfer market because i can't remember them saying anything of the sort..............

Open your eyes.

Again you fail to read posts properly and then say open your eyes. I have never said anything about 20 million so why are you trying to defend it now?

You say open my eyes, open my eyes to what? From what I see a few people cant open their eyes because their head is far too deep in the sand.

To date we have not spent "significantly". Read the papers they all talk about a U turn by the club etc. Even with Baros the net spend considering all of the previously mentioned factors is not significant

Blues have a net spend of £4.5 million. Boro have a net spend of £9.3 million. Spurs have a net spend of £0.5 million.

Buying Baros will put us ahead of two of them and just behind Boro.

If we spend £6,250,000 then that is significant for a mid-table club.

Not a club trying to break into Europe.

A significant spend may only be an extra £2million in some people's view, another £5million for others but the fact is that for a club with European ambitions £6million is not enough.

What is with this Spurs thing? They have a team of hughely talented, young mainly English players who will gel together in the next yer or so and IMO if the current young spurs team stays together then in a couple of years they will be launching a title challenge. Just for the reord over the last 2 yers I think they have spent about £16million.

Spurs 0.5? you surprise me Bitty.

I would have thought Routledge etc would have cost more. Still I suppose the Davis money helped them. It would be a more interesting comparison against them to see the spend over the last 18 months maybe? ....... where's BOF when you need him

avfc1982 you are on record many times on VT as saying you will only be happy this summer if we sign another striker and a central defender (it may have been a left back too can't remember) so in light of that repeated statement, why do you appear to be arguing a contrary opinion on this particular topic?

Just curious you know?

That's exactly what i've said and i stand by it (and i think it'll happen by the way), but it seems to me that certain posters on here are realising that Baros may just sign on the dotted line in the next few days so they're now posting in a style of "even if he does sign it still won't be good enough" kind of way, just so they can continue to moan their way through the season as per usual.

It's the old saying again.......

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Blues have a net spend of £4.5 million. Boro have a net spend of £9.3 million. Spurs have a net spend of £0.5 million.

Buying Baros will put us ahead of two of them and just behind Boro.

Where has Blues net spend of 4.5 million come from? Same for Spurs?

[...........................

Where was it that Villa said we would spend £20m in the transfer market because i can't remember them saying anything of the sort..............

Open your eyes.

Again you fail to read posts properly and then say open your eyes. I have never said anything about 20 million so why are you trying to defend it now?

You say open my eyes, open my eyes to what? From what I see a few people cant open their eyes because their head is far too deep in the sand.

To date we have not spent "significantly". Read the papers they all talk about a U turn by the club etc. Even with Baros the net spend considering all of the previously mentioned factors is not significant

I read your post perfectly well enough drat, and when you comment on 'significant' funds i know full well you're referring to the fabled £20m made up by the press.

Well come on the drat, tell me what you would consider to be a significant amount to spend??

[............., just so they can continue to moan their way through the season as per usual...............
For someone with such a bright and cheerful outlook on AVFC you dont half moan a lot about people who make any sort of statement about AVFC.

I read your post perfectly well enough drat, and when you comment on 'significant' funds i know full well you're referring to the fabled £20m made up by the press.

Well come on the drat, tell me what you would consider to be a significant amount to spend??

Amazing so now you are a mind reader. Obviously not because you still post on here .......

I have NEVER said anything about 20 million, so I hate to dissapoint you but you are wrong.

As for significant I was hoping for something around 13-15 million based on what our usual spend was. But I suppose you knew that anyway

[...........

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

do or dont what?

It's quite simple drat, damned if you don't spend money, and now even though it looks like Baros is on his way, damned if you do.

As i said, it's quite simple.

Fair enough - thats your view that you think is the view of most but would appear to be in teh minority based on posts on here to date.

Whats your "new" view on significant by the way?

[............., just so they can continue to moan their way through the season as per usual...............
For someone with such a bright and cheerful outlook on AVFC you dont half moan a lot about people who make any sort of statement about AVFC.

No drat not 'any sort of statement about AVFC', just the usual moaning for the sake of it.

Fair enough - thats your view that you think is the view of most but would appear to be in teh minority based on posts on here to date.

Whats your "new" view on significant by the way?

My"new" view on significant spending drat??

Oh no drat, from day one i said i'd be happy if we spent around half of the fabled £20m figure and i'm standing by it.

Funny how you should now be trying to put words into my mouth.

Not you drat, surely not??

Ahh see I dont have the gift of mind reading so didnt know that.

If the posts of people offend so much why post on here?

"Offend" ?? Where has anyone talked about being offended??

You're taking things a tad too seriously tonight drat, it's just a message board where people discuss things, and that's what we're doing. I don't see anyone being offensive, perhaps you could point out where the offensive remark was said or complained about??

Â