Did anybody really think 'significant' funds were available?

ahamaad

Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't believe a word HDE says but was prepared to this time

Anyway Im off for something to eat now, nothing too significant, just a small snack.

Lets hope it's not too small, one can only imagine the moaning your poor missus would have to put up with if it was.

Pathetic

Anyway Im off for something to eat now, nothing too significant, just a small snack.

Lets hope it's not too small, one can only imagine the moaning your poor missus would have to put up with if it was.

Pathetic

Temper temper.

I read in my paper, the Observer, what various clubs have spent so far. I'm sure it's not gospel, but there were, from memory, either 14 or 15 prem clubs who spent more than Villa so far. Of those who have spent less, Arsenal (genius Wenger) and Man City (totally skint) were two. Can't remember the other 2 or 3 clubs.

Anyway, to date our spend is insignificant.

Hopefully we will bring in at leat 2 more quality players, at the right age. Aaron Hughes was a good signing, as was Stuart Taylor. Kevin Phillips is an excellent buy for maybe a year or two, and Patrick Berger I'm unsure about, not because of quality, but because of miles on the clock.

If we sign Baros, and a couple of others, it will have been a good summer. Significant in a s much as it's what Villa needs to do.

If we don't.

"Insignificant" will be the best tag to describe a once significant club.

£m spent in 2003 and 2004

Tottenham        28.8 

Birmingham       24.1

Southampton      18.4

Newcastle        18.1 

Blackburn        17.7

Man City         17.3 

WBA              13.9

Middlesbrough    13.2

Portsmouth       11.6

Aston Villa      10.7

Charlton         10.7

Everton           9.8

Fulham            7.9

Bolton            2.6

Nb! This dosen't include the last year, so if you consider our significant net spend of £1.5m since january, I think we'll fall even further down.

In that list only Newcastle and Man City had more attedances than Villa.

I read in my paper, the Observer, what various clubs have spent so far. I'm sure it's not gospel, but there were, from memory, either 14 or 15 prem clubs who spent more than Villa so far. Of those who have spent less, Arsenal (genius Wenger) and Man City (totally skint) were two. Can't remember the other 2 or 3 clubs.

Anyway, to date our spend is insignificant.

Hopefully we will bring in at leat 2 more quality players, at the right age. Aaron Hughes was a good signing, as was Stuart Taylor. Kevin Phillips is an excellent buy for maybe a year or two, and Patrick Berger I'm unsure about, not because of quality, but because of miles on the clock.

If we sign Baros, and a couple of others, it will have been a good summer. Significant in a s much as it's what Villa needs to do.

If we don't.

"Insignificant" will be the best tag to describe a once significant club.

Thats a fair point Blandy and one that I agree with - however, I do take exception to someone calling me a fool for voting yes. (yes you Ahamaad - wtih the holier than thou attitude) I still think that the money will be spent circa £10M (hopefully).

If not then either we have been duped or there has been a serious change in policy since Langhams departure - If the money is not spent, then I believe that it is the latter, rather than the former.

Lee if as you say it is the latter, what has been the driving force behind this change in policy? The accounts of the club if some are to be believed show us to be in a healthy position, so if the funds were available why are they not now being accessed? The accusation about lies and mistrust will always prevail following this and while you would hope that this would be explained at the next AGM, I suspect that it wont.

10M spent net is that really "significant" given the monies we have spent previously and what was apparently available when we went for players such as Beattie? The club has on the surface again shown a lack of ambiton and the worry is that this will be reflected at some point in the future by the players wanting to leave as before. As said on other threads the perception of Villa out of all of this is not good and one that shows us to have small time thinking

Lee if as you say it is the latter, what has been the driving force behind this change in policy? The accounts of the club if some are to be believed show us to be in a healthy position, so if the funds were available why are they not now being accessed? The accusation about lies and mistrust will always prevail following this and while you would hope that this would be explained at the next AGM, I suspect that it wont.

10M spent net is that really "significant" given the monies we have spent previously and what was apparently available when we went for players such as Beattie? The club has on the surface again shown a lack of ambiton and the worry is that this will be reflected at some point in the future by the players wanting to leave as before. As said on other threads the perception of Villa out of all of this is not good and one that shows us to have small time thinking

My point is that I'm not a fool for believing Langhma that the money would be spent - and the club reiterated that the funds were available after he left - so why are we fools?

We had every reason this close season that money would be invested - as the club have commited to this in the public domain - I have said that if we don't spend then we have had a poor close season - but I will make that judgement after the Window closes.

The accounts of the club if some are to be believed show us to be in a healthy position, so if the funds were available why are they not now being accessed?

They actually show us as being pretty well skint actually. Not massively in debt, but without a pot to piss in without selling the land. We're just not being run well enough to generate enough excess cash to buy decent players.

Fair enough Lee. I think a lot of comments have come about from real frustration on the part of some of the fans who really did think that this close season we would be "having the last laugh" etc. As you say the transfer window isnt closed, but DOL did say before that he wanted his players in for pre season and it would seem that if any major signings to arrive this wont happen. At this moment (and for those ready to jump up and down and throw dummies out of prams I said at this moment) the club have not delivered on its promises IMO and for that the fans have a justification for feeling frustrated and betrayed in some way. For the record I personally dont see Baros as the "main man" to take us to the next level in the premiership but if he signs will be more than happy to see him fight with JPA for the mirror and hair care kits. If he does turn out to be a world beater then brilliant stuff.

Risso, sorry mate I agree but to read some peoples posts on here you would think that we have no money issues.

As I said before, when the land sale fell through, so did any real possibility of 'significant' funds.

I for one will be amazed if the Baros deal actually happens.

I wonder who we might spend the Baros money on next year :winkold:

Would like to wait 'till the window is closed, but so far I've been a fool. I voted yes. I'm a fool, it looks like. Still I stick to my opinion that it's not only the sum of the money spent but on who they're spent. £7m on Crouch is just waste of money, while £0m on Davids, not regarding signing on fee, is a good buy. Still I'm disappointed so far. Very disappointed. Baros and a good CD would make me feel less disappointed. Think a CD should be more than decent to please me.

IMHO the "substantial" or "significant" funds affair can probably be traced back all the way to the Chairman's office. It won't be the first time that some one from that office may have jumped the gun . This is the same office that claimed that Newcastle had accepted our offer for Bellamy.

Likewise that same office may have been counting the profits from the property development,that the City Planning Department eventually rejected, prematurely. That may have been the source of the notion that "significant" funds were going to be available.

A prudent individual might have stepped forward at the time of the Planning Departments rejection and informed the shareholders that these funds were not going to be available as expected.

In the meantime, the Chairman had heart surgery and the issue of substantial funds was deflected. Langham resigned and DOL and Stride had a couple of weeks where they looked as if they were going to spend those "substantial funds" . As soon as some one came out of the anaesthetic the opportunity was lost and the status quo at Villa Park returned.

If DOL and Stride pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat before the transfer window closes and spend 12M on a Striker and Center Back then this whole issue will be moot and many of us will be very happy supporters and/or shareholders because that will, for Villa at least, be "significant funds"

I voted No because I have been a Villa supporter for so long now that unfortunately, I know that anything that certain people say may have to be taken with a grain of salt. After all, according to Ron Atkinson's memoirs, this is the same man who claimed to have been the first football player to have invented the bicycle kick ... Gimme a break !!! :crylaugh:

The great thing about AVFC is that the club survives and sometimes thrives notwithstanding who the Chairman is. Why ? Because we are the Best Fans a club could ask for .

When I was a kid Tommy Docherty said that if Villa Players hung their washing out to dry at Villa Park on a Monday Afternoon (washing day) 15,000 supporters would pay to come and watch. That was a measure of how great this club is and still is .

I wouldn't worry about the substantial funds much longer. This club is going to have a new ownership before too long, either by purchase or default. In the meantime DOL & Co. probably have done enough to bring about a top six finish this season and then next summer we can argue whether our spend will exceed 4M or better ;)

That's ok drat. No where near as eloquent and succinct and Daholtend's nail-on-the-head post.

I wonder, does anyone have the net spend stats for the seasons since the PL started?

I only ask for net spend as it's easy to spend 7 mil on a player when you've just sold one for 12 for instance.

I want to know whether the club is really investing in its future.

Link

Also, including and carrying on from there, if I've copied it right from my sheet

PLAYERS BOUGHT: (17/07/1999 to 10/08/2005)

£750 000 Kevin Phillips

£750 000 Stuart Taylor

£0 Patrick Berger

£1 500 000 Aaron Hughes

£1 800 000 Eric Djemba Djemba (900,000 + 400 K in June + 250k after 20 + 250K after 40)

starts and again after 40

£1 750 000 Mathieu Berson

£3 000 000 Martin Laursen

£1 500 000 Nolberto Solano

£2 225 000 Thomas Sorenson

£2 225 000 Gavin McCann

£1 500 000 Ulises De La Cruz

£ 750 000 Mark Kinsella

£5 000 000 Peter Crouch

£2 000 000 Marcus Allback

£1 500 000 Stefan Postma

£2 500 000 Mustapha Hadji (+ Joachim)

£5 000 000 Olof Mellberg

£5 800 000 Bosko Balaban

£5 600 000 Alpay

£3 000 000 David Ginola

£9 500 000 Juan Pablo Angel

£ 250 000 Mark Delaney

£ 225 000 Colin Calderwood

£ 250 000 Neil Tarrant

£ 200 000 Peter Enckleman

£5 500 000 Steve Stone

£1 700 000 David James

£4 500 000 George Boateng

£1 000 000 Najwan Ghrayib

Carbone, nominal fee.

Total Purchases £68 650 000

PLAYERS SOLD: (07/07/1999 - 10/08/2005)

£2 250 000 Darius Vassel

£0 Thomas Hitzlsperger

£0 Stefan Moore

£2 000 000 Peter Crouch

£ 150 000 Rob Edwards

£ 150 000 Peter Enckleman

£ 50 000 Boaz Myhill

£ 70 000 Danny Jackman

£5 000 000 George Boateng

£ 50 000 Richard Walker

£6 500 000 Gareth Southgate

£3 500 000 David James

£ 150 000 Najwan Ghrayib

£8 000 000 Ugo Ehiogu

£ 100 000 Aaron Lescott

£2 750 000 Alan Thompson

£1 250 000 Mark Draper

£2 500 000 Steve Watson

£ 50 000 Tommy Jaszczum

£ 500 000 Michael Oakes

£ 750 000 Simon Grayson

£3 000 000 Richardo Scimeca

£ 200 000 Alan Lee

Total sales: £38 970 000

Total Purchases £68 650 000

Less Total Sales (£38 970 000)

Total Net Spend £29 580 000

Or total per annum £4 763 333

It's maybe not 100% accurate, but the sources are sttock exchange or club announcements, or where there were none from either the buying or selling club, from www.soccerbase.com

sorry if formatting is wonky.

Â