Did anybody really think 'significant' funds were available?

ahamaad

Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Did you believe 'significant' funds were being made available?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't believe a word HDE says but was prepared to this time

£250,000 is significant beacuse it shows the rest of the footballing world that we have no ambition. But we're goin to splash the cash before the end of the transfer window so its all going to be fine.

£250,000 is significant beacuse it shows the rest of the footballing world that we have no ambition. But we're goin to splash the cash before the end of the transfer window so its all going to be fine.

If that is genuine optimism, I'll have a pint of whatever you have just had!

:winkold:

Having seen the same situation for the past 20 years 1982, we can safely say there will be no 'significant' spending this year.

BTW, we are a laughing stock when people point out we have spent 6 million when it was touted it would be significant funds. Journalists have already begun to point it out.

I just wonder what would ever happen to AVFC if we had a board like Spurs have?

:roll:

Villa have always made money availible to it's managers over the years, sometimes a lot (Gregory, Atkinson, Little) sometimes not so much(O'Leary), but they've always spent money. How you can say that it's been exactly the same over the years is beyond me.

As for the laughing stock jibe, well that doesn't wash with me. You may well not be happy with our club's situation but please don't pretend to me that Aston Villa FC are a the laughing stock of the Premier League because that's one of the silliest things i've ever read on here.

You need to stop exaggerating.

[..................

So has the transfer window been closed then drat?? I'm just wondering if you've been told by someone that Villa won't be spending anymore cash?

A bit early to be gloating don't you think??

see 1982 you have got things Oh so wrong yet again. Stop for one moment and read what I posted and you will see that all I have done is posted a few corrections to the previous post, no gloating at all.

Why would I gloat? Im not happy we have been lied to and have not invested in the team.

Now can I suggest that you stop being so paranoid and realise whats happening

Well hush my mouth, sorry didn't know that.

So what their board did, was support the manager and buy in an attempt to improve that position.

We've filled holes cheaply, and are still filling holes in order to cling on to where we finished last year.

Bit of a difference there, don't you think?

Ian, some people are prepaared to have the wool pulled over their eyes again and again. Just judging by the way the votes are panning out, I'd say that is one of the reasons Ellis is still in charge.

Funny that because i heard O'Leary say the other day that once he signs a striker he'll move on to a centre back and a left back.

I want to win the lottery.

Doesn't mean I will.

David O'Leary said he wanted to be able to bring in four quality players this summer, the type that would take this club on further. He hasn't been allowed to do that, either. He said he wanted the spending done by the time the players are back in training. That hasn't been done either.

If we fail to sign Baros, I expect this money to completely disappear. Like it has with Beattie. Like it did with Juninho. Like it did with Matt Holland. Like it did with.....

So Villa never signed anyone after Juninho or Holland??

Oh come on John.

Blimey its sometimes great to be proven right John and sometimes is bloody painful becuase as we said a while back if and when the funds dont materialise there will be some trying to defend the pittance that the club has spent (from a position of no financial risk so we are told).

By the way before the paranoid amongst start to mount that high horse, this is one of the painful times.

If Baros comes in OK but compared to others and in the whole scheme of things it IS NOT significant.

Lets just hope DOL gets the funds that he needs and makes us all happy bunnies eh?

BTW, just my take on the matter. If I was a manager of a PL club and I was informed by the board to announce I would have significant funds available, I would imagine it to be in the region of 18-20 million to buy at least 3 quality players that are valued in the 6 million mark (eg Scott Parker), who could push us forward.

£250,000 net with one free, and the rest costing no more than 1 million each and a striker sold is just laughable I am afraid.

Spurs seemed to have a plan.

Then they signed Davids. Which went against their youth policy and gave them too many options in midfield.

Now they're bidding for Jenas. Is he better than what they have? Is he worth the money? Do they need him?

It looks like they're bidding for the sake of it. They need a defender if anything, as they look inexperienced at the back like us.

Spurs signed Zeigler. Their fans hail the way they're picking up new talent. We sign Steigler, our fans mock the signing. Why?

[.....

So Villa never signed anyone after Juninho or Holland??

Oh come on John.

Are you available for summer season?

Come on 1982 I honestly think you are a person who has a few brain cells about him, but trying to defend the situation as it stands now is laughable.

If we sign Baros for 6 million, how can that be classified as significant based on what was supposedly available before, what the team has picked up from prize monies, what the club has earned from TV and sponsorship and from the supposedly good financial shape we are in.

Your defence of the club is admirable but very very very misguided

Well hush my mouth, sorry didn't know that.

So what their board did, was support the manager and buy in an attempt to improve that position.

We've filled holes cheaply, and are still filling holes in order to cling on to where we finished last year.

Bit of a difference there, don't you think?

but i thought you were fairly confident we're gonna sign Baros, doesn't that mean we'll have improved our squad??

That would be five players brought in, surely that'll improve us as a squad??

By the way how much have Spurs actually spent this pre season??

come on 1982 read back through your previous posts and tell us the same story to see if you think that the spend to date (even if we do get Baros) is significant or not?

Â