Sky Go on laptop

T-Dog

Evening all

I have Sky Go installed on my laptop - Every single time I watch the football on it, it has a crystal clear stream for about 3 minutes and then goes incredibly grainy, to the point where it's unwatchable. If I close the stream and reopen, I get the same again, 3 minutes of perfect stream and then so fuzzy it's impossible to watch.

I don't have the same issue with anything else, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, even random football streams I've found thru dubious websites online, they are actually better quality than Sky Go. Also don't have the same issue with Sky Go on PS4, ipad, phone etc.

Any idea? Have updated all drivers etc, there's part of me that thinks it might just be Sky Go being a piece of shit.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Evening all

I have Sky Go installed on my laptop - Every single time I watch the football on it, it has a crystal clear stream for about 3 minutes and then goes incredibly grainy, to the point where it's unwatchable. If I close the stream and reopen, I get the same again, 3 minutes of perfect stream and then so fuzzy it's impossible to watch.

I don't have the same issue with anything else, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, even random football streams I've found thru dubious websites online, they are actually better quality than Sky Go. Also don't have the same issue with Sky Go on PS4, ipad, phone etc.

Any idea? Have updated all drivers etc, there's part of me that thinks it might just be Sky Go being a piece of shit.

Thanks

This won't fix your issue fully but might be a bandaid. Do you have a Sky Q box on the same network as laptop? If so you can set the Sky Go app to stream from the Sky Q box instead of Sky Go servers. 

i use the Sky Go app quite a lot on my laptop and haven't noticed your issues. 

EDIT: To debug further you could always try running the mobile app on your mobile phone on your home internet, see if the same thing happens. If it does, try again using Mobile Data instead of home Wifi. See if there's a difference.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

Mine won't even do that. Gives me literally 2 seconds of footage and then cuts out with an error message. No matter what device or internet connection I use.

Has been that way for a few years and Sky don't know what the issue is.

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

@PieFacE - It is on the same network yeah, how do I stream from the Sky Q box direct to the laptop? I didn't know that was a thing but that sounds like it might be a good solution, thanks man

Open sky go app. Go to Settings. Enable "Connect to Sky Q box". 

Edited by PieFacE

On 29/12/2023 at 21:18, PieFacE said:

Open sky go app. Go to Settings. Enable "Connect to Sky Q box". 

Just checked and that was already ticked, so I'm going to try the opposite, altho for some reason it won't connect at all at the minute.

Thank you for your help

Are you using a windows Laptop? From memory Sky Go uses Silverlight on Windows and it's 100% horrendous. I always had issues with it. Best bet is to use an Android Tablet, phone or Chromebook for Sky Go. You could also cast from your phone to Chrome browser on your laptop. 

Edited by villa89

Posted (edited)

Maybe try plugging the laptop directly into the Ethernet connection instead of WiFi, just as an experiment? It could be a WiFi issue perhaps? 

Also, are you connecting to WiFi via 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, as I think 2.4 only supports around 500mps, whereas 5 allows up to 1300mps

Edited by alreadyexists

35 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Yeah it is Windows - everything else seems to stream fine on it too which is the most annoying thing

Probably nothing else you are streaming uses Sliverlight. 

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Maybe try plugging the laptop directly into the Ethernet connection instead of WiFi, just as an experiment? It could be a WiFi issue perhaps? 

Also, are you connecting to WiFi via 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, as I think 2.4 only supports around 500mps, whereas 5 allows up to 1300mps

5Ghz I believe. Have tried with the ethernet and same issue :( 

• Sad 1

Â