Printer re set

Robtaylor200

Hi Gents. Those that know me, know I know nothing. I had a smart TV 2 years before I realised I could get YouTube on it.

Right so I have come to print my boarding passes and my Epsom XP 540. Says NO the ink pads need replacing. I have  googled and it seems I can clean them, if I am prepared to take it apart or I can buy and download a programme (wich scares the crap out of me)

My ask is. Is there an easier way to re set the counter, or if I buy another printer any idea wich one will take the spare cartridges I have 

Thank you

43 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Hi Gents. Those that know me, know I know nothing. I had a smart TV 2 years before I realised I could get YouTube on it.

Right so I have come to print my boarding passes and my Epsom XP 540. Says NO the ink pads need replacing. I have  googled and it seems I can clean them, if I am prepared to take it apart or I can buy and download a programme (wich scares the crap out of me)

My ask is. Is there an easier way to re set the counter, or if I buy another printer any idea wich one will take the spare cartridges I have 

Thank you

What's a "printer"? :mrgreen:

Can't you just take your phone on the flight?

On 22/09/2023 at 09:07, limpid said:

I agree. I'd have used my phone.

You are so right about using my phone

You would not believe the agro concerning this printer, I got a cheap one off Amazon. No matter what I did I could not connect it to my wi fi. 

Most concerning is that chat on line was going through it with me and then asked mt press a couple of buttons on my lap top and wanted to give me a code. I saw at the top of the screen it was to enable him to control my Lap top. Jesus I told him where to go and hung up (as easy as that)

Turns out my new printer will only connect if the wifii has 2.4 thingies and not 5 whats its like mine has Its goin back and I will use my phone 

• The fraudsters claim to offer "printer helplines", which consumers are fooled into contacting. Typically, users then allow scammers remote access to their computers. In some cases the fraudsters steal information - such as bank account details - or demand money to hand back control.
www.bbc.com/news/business-39040126

38 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Turns out my new printer will only connect if the wifii has 2.4 thingies and not 5 whats its like mine has

GHz.  That’s the thingies and whats its. The frequencies the wifi uses. Printers of older designs use the older 2.4GHz and more modern designed printers can use either/or. But here’s a thing. Since 5GHz wifi has been introduced, theses routers also provide 2.4GHz. So they are compatible with older designs of TV, printers, smart speakers and so on. So while your now returned printer only works with 2.4GHz wifi, your router can and does provide that capability. It’s normally enabled by default, but if for some reason it’s off, it can be set to “on” via router configuration using your phone, tablet or computer to do the configuration.

• Thanks 1

FWIW I have  a printer that sidesteps both your issues. 

1) laser, so no dried out ink cartridges. I use it maybe once a year, so important for me. 

2) has a network socket, so I connect with a cable  rather than wifi - much easier to set up and much less flaky. 

It's only black and white, but has a scanner and a sheet feeder. 

HP. About £60 I seem to remember, but that was maybe 5 or so years ago. 

Â