Threads by Instagram

tomav84

OK so seems everyone is **** twitter off and going to threads. Seems much the same at first glance. The only thing is i can see loads of posts on my home screen from people i don't follow so will need to play around with it a bit

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 10:25, tomav84 said:

OK so seems everyone is **** twitter off and going to threads. Seems much the same at first glance. The only thing is i can see loads of posts on my home screen from people i don't follow so will need to play around with it a bit

Its not really the finished product, it's been rushed out, there's lots of features missing, basic features like hashtags

On 06/07/2023 at 12:31, Chindie said:

I'm not sure Zuckerberg needs more data. Don't give it to him.

When you are getting a service for free you're the product. Not that it bothers me as I don't have any accounts with Meta or Twitter but I don't see the big issue with these companies using your aggregated data to provide targeted advertising to you. You get a service for free and you only see ad's relevant for you. It's win-win. Then add in a browser using Ad-block and its win-mega win for you.  

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

When you are getting a service for free you're the product. Not that it bothers me as I don't have any accounts with Meta or Twitter but I don't see the big issue with these companies using your aggregated data to provide targeted advertising to you. You get a service for free and you only see ad's relevant for you. It's win-win. Then add in a browser using Ad-block and its win-mega win for you.  

The issue isn't really the contract - their services for your data - more what that data ends up being used for. And the issue of putting ever more data into the hands of a single business. The amount of stuff that Zuckerberg is hoovering up about you if you sign into his various services is horrifying, and then you realise there's billions doing it and he's using that data to direct the species, ultimately, and flogging it to whoever will pay to do whatever they want with it, which isn't always (arguably almost never, really) going to benefit humanity.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Its not really the finished product, it's been rushed out, there's lots of features missing, basic features like hashtags

yep and ability to see stuff from just folks you're following. at the moment there's all sorts of crap on my timeline

They are getting the signups though, claiming to have 70 million as of earlier on today, which considering they haven’t opened it up to the EU yet over GDPR concerns is pretty impressive in numbers

Â