GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I am certain we would get offers for Ings, Chambers and McGinn for example. Don’t underestimate the championship clubs pushing for promotion. Wages may be an issue other than that I am pretty sure we will get offers if they are on the market. Most would be loans I’d imagine though. 

Wages is the only issue and will stop any transfer. No club will give Ings a contract worth 130k per week. So we can’t sell him, not even for a fee of £1.

It will be loans for him, where Villa pay part of his wages. Another millstone around the neck.

My views for what they are worth (but presented in a slightly different format):

Starting XI: 

Martinez (top class - my only worry is that in a few weeks time he is likely to be the GK for the World Cup winners and so might attract some serious attention)

New RB (prior to the arrival of UE, I would have said this was not an immediate area of concern - but UE seems to like a back 3 when we are attacking and that doesn't sit well with Cash, just as the more attacking part of the RB role doesn't suit Konsa - so I think we will be looking for a quick, right-footed CB who is comfortable with the ball on the deck and capable of attacking down the line)

Carlos (assuming he comes back from injury without any lasting issues he feels like the "master" of our Back 4)

Mings (easy target for some but I think released of the responsibility of the "leader" of the defence he can recapture his best form)

Digne (attracted a lot of negative comments recently but I still think he is the best LB outside the Sly 6 and that Emery's style will really suit the way he likes to play

Kamara (even in the little glimpses we have seen he looks class)

New CM (I still see this as our biggest priority - we need someone who can share the defensive workload with Kamara and also control and progress the ball)

Luiz (maybe a little controversial - but I think that Luiz playing in a slightly more advanced playmaker role will give us a lot of options on and off the ball)

J Ramsay (disciplined enough in defence but I think his main job will be to look to bomb past the attackers / arrive late when we have the ball - his goal against Man Utd being exactly what we will want from him)

Bailey (I think the UE "system" is ideal for him - he can work hard harrying but will be using his pace and directness to attack the goal)

CF (I think we will be looking for a quick striker, with good feet, a great first touch and the vision to spot others)

Bench: 

New backup keeper (I don't think that Sinisalo is quite ready but we need a quality back-up in case Emi does get injured)

Cash (will definitely be games that favour him and someone with great energy to bring on)

Konsa (could potentially play in the RB/CB role mentioned earlier - but I don't think he is progressive enough - pretty solid option to have on the bench)

A Young (probably 1 more season and maybe more in a player / coach role - but has the experience to cover a huge range of positions)

Dendoncker (3 weeks ago he would have been in my "out" list but he's had a good few weeks and I think he might do well under UE)

Sanson (again he'd probably have been in my "out" list but have a feeling that if he is ever going to make it at Villa it will be under UE - hopefully we'll see more of him over the course of the season and he can show why he deserves his spot)

Buendia (will probably be slammed by some for having him on the bench and putting Luiz in "his" role - but Emi was the only real disappointment against Man Utd, I think the UE system will favour him and he'll definitely start a lot of matches when we are looking to control the ball higher up the pitch)

Coutinho (I think some recent comments have been pretty harsh, he's been asked to do "the impossible" under Gerrard, getting the ball in the wrong part of the pitch and with few options - if UE can get him on the ball in the right areas with the right support, I still think he can be a huge player for us)

Watkins (I can see him being really important in matches where we are not expecting much possession and want to harrass the opposition back 4, gives us other options and would also have lots of energy coming on)

Squad (I've stuck with a 25 man squad but I think we've got a few in here that don't "take" a spot in that based on age):

Kesler Hayden (I think we need to see him in a Villa shirt next season, there are arguments that he'd be a 4th RB but I see him more as being an option when we expect to dominate the ball - would he gain more going out on loan again or do we need to get him in training with the 1st Team Squad and developing into a UE type RB?)

Chambers (possibly an odd one - but I do think he gives us options / cover in a range of positions, not the fastest but with the right players around him I think we can work around that)

Iroegbunam (again some might say that he'll learn more out on loan, but I think he will develop more by being in training with UE and getting more involved in match day squads - by the end of next season I would be hoping that he would be getting regular sub appearances)

A Ramsay (I think we need him in with UE, learning what we need him to become, still very young but all the signs suggest that he would be exceptional under the way UE plays)

Archer (definitely need a third striker in the squad and I can see him doing well)

Loan Development:

Sinisalo, Philogene, Chrisene - pretty much as you were I think

Surplus:

Steer (unless we keep him as emergency backup given that we're unlikely to make any money on selling him and he's not costing us a fortune)

Olsen

Augustinsson

Bednarek

McGinn (he would have been in my bench / squad list up until UE took over - but I just don't see him being versatile enough to thrive in the way that UE appears to want to play and I think he's dropped to probably 5th choice midfielder so time to cash in and say thanks for the memories and being such a critical part of our journey)

Nakamba

Ings (I would like to see him get some game time but I think we need someone quicker who can attack from deep as well as make chances in the box - gutted that we haven't got the best out of him)

Wesley

Davis

Traore

Hause

Optimism

Three signings give our first team a new level of balance that has been missing for a while, the right players would give the manager real options to play different ways depending on the opposition / match situation (something he seems keen to do based on stats from Villareal), gives a chance for some of our younger players to learn how he wants to play and an opportunity to break into the first XI - which in turn continues the whole "pathway to the first XI" for other hopefuls within the Academy.

Concerns

I am worried about what happens if Martinez is not available (injury or transfer) and that we need to close the massive gap between our first choice keeper and our second choice.  I am also concerned about cover at LB within my squad above.  A long-term injury to Digne would give us issue.  Ashley Forever-Young won't be (unfortunately) so whilst he'd do a job for a few matches - maybe the answer would be to push Mings wider and then play a more progressive RB to give us attacking options?

I suspect that some people will look at that selection and ask where the wingers are.  My answer would be that UE doesn't really play wingers - more quick, skillful players who start wide but with a view of attacking the goal - so Bailey, Watkins, our new CF and Archer can each do part of the brief - Buendia, Couts and JJ also (allbeit in a slightly different way).  Maybe if Couts or Sanson don't have a good second part of the season then they'd need to make way for another player who would be a closer match to Bailey but on the other flank.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Surprised so many want to keep Sanson or think the club will look to keep him.

As much as I’d love him to come in and be brilliant for us, there is a reason he isn’t playing much.

No way we’ll be able to get rid of Ings, Coutinho due to their contracts.

I have kept Sanson in for now purely because I think of the managers that we have had whilst he has been here - UE is the one that is most likely to uncover the player that we (I) thought we had signed.  I do think that the UE style of play will suit him far better than McGinn or Nakamba for example.  I don't see him as a regular starter but I can see him being a good option from the bench and strong cover in case of injury / suspension (him being the more attacking sub, Donks being the more defensive option - at least until Tim and Aaron claim those positions).

5 minutes ago, allani said:

My views for what they are worth (but presented in a slightly different format):

Starting XI: 

Martinez (top class - my only worry is that in a few weeks time he is likely to be the GK for the World Cup winners and so might attract some serious attention)

New RB (prior to the arrival of UE, I would have said this was not an immediate area of concern - but UE seems to like a back 3 when we are attacking and that doesn't sit well with Cash, just as the more attacking part of the RB role doesn't suit Konsa - so I think we will be looking for a quick, right-footed CB who is comfortable with the ball on the deck and capable of attacking down the line)

Carlos (assuming he comes back from injury without any lasting issues he feels like the "master" of our Back 4)

Mings (easy target for some but I think released of the responsibility of the "leader" of the defence he can recapture his best form)

Digne (attracted a lot of negative comments recently but I still think he is the best LB outside the Sly 6 and that Emery's style will really suit the way he likes to play

Kamara (even in the little glimpses we have seen he looks class)

New CM (I still see this as our biggest priority - we need someone who can share the defensive workload with Kamara and also control and progress the ball)

Luiz (maybe a little controversial - but I think that Luiz playing in a slightly more advanced playmaker role will give us a lot of options on and off the ball)

J Ramsay (disciplined enough in defence but I think his main job will be to look to bomb past the attackers / arrive late when we have the ball - his goal against Man Utd being exactly what we will want from him)

Bailey (I think the UE "system" is ideal for him - he can work hard harrying but will be using his pace and directness to attack the goal)

CF (I think we will be looking for a quick striker, with good feet, a great first touch and the vision to spot others)

Bench: 

New backup keeper (I don't think that Sinisalo is quite ready but we need a quality back-up in case Emi does get injured)

Cash (will definitely be games that favour him and someone with great energy to bring on)

Konsa (could potentially play in the RB/CB role mentioned earlier - but I don't think he is progressive enough - pretty solid option to have on the bench)

A Young (probably 1 more season and maybe more in a player / coach role - but has the experience to cover a huge range of positions)

Dendoncker (3 weeks ago he would have been in my "out" list but he's had a good few weeks and I think he might do well under UE)

Sanson (again he'd probably have been in my "out" list but have a feeling that if he is ever going to make it at Villa it will be under UE - hopefully we'll see more of him over the course of the season and he can show why he deserves his spot)

Buendia (will probably be slammed by some for having him on the bench and putting Luiz in "his" role - but Emi was the only real disappointment against Man Utd, I think the UE system will favour him and he'll definitely start a lot of matches when we are looking to control the ball higher up the pitch)

Coutinho (I think some recent comments have been pretty harsh, he's been asked to do "the impossible" under Gerrard, getting the ball in the wrong part of the pitch and with few options - if UE can get him on the ball in the right areas with the right support, I still think he can be a huge player for us)

Watkins (I can see him being really important in matches where we are not expecting much possession and want to harrass the opposition back 4, gives us other options and would also have lots of energy coming on)

Squad (I've stuck with a 25 man squad but I think we've got a few in here that don't "take" a spot in that based on age):

Kesler Hayden (I think we need to see him in a Villa shirt next season, there are arguments that he'd be a 4th RB but I see him more as being an option when we expect to dominate the ball - would he gain more going out on loan again or do we need to get him in training with the 1st Team Squad and developing into a UE type RB?)

Chambers (possibly an odd one - but I do think he gives us options / cover in a range of positions, not the fastest but with the right players around him I think we can work around that)

Iroegbunam (again some might say that he'll learn more out on loan, but I think he will develop more by being in training with UE and getting more involved in match day squads - by the end of next season I would be hoping that he would be getting regular sub appearances)

A Ramsay (I think we need him in with UE, learning what we need him to become, still very young but all the signs suggest that he would be exceptional under the way UE plays)

Archer (definitely need a third striker in the squad and I can see him doing well)

Loan Development:

Sinisalo, Philogene, Chrisene - pretty much as you were I think

Surplus:

Steer (unless we keep him as emergency backup given that we're unlikely to make any money on selling him and he's not costing us a fortune)

Olsen

Augustinsson

Bednarek

McGinn (he would have been in my bench / squad list up until UE took over - but I just don't see him being versatile enough to thrive in the way that UE appears to want to play and I think he's dropped to probably 5th choice midfielder so time to cash in and say thanks for the memories and being such a critical part of our journey)

Nakamba

Ings (I would like to see him get some game time but I think we need someone quicker who can attack from deep as well as make chances in the box - gutted that we haven't got the best out of him)

Wesley

Davis

Traore

Hause

Optimism

Three signings give our first team a new level of balance that has been missing for a while, the right players would give the manager real options to play different ways depending on the opposition / match situation (something he seems keen to do based on stats from Villareal), gives a chance for some of our younger players to learn how he wants to play and an opportunity to break into the first XI - which in turn continues the whole "pathway to the first XI" for other hopefuls within the Academy.

Concerns

I am worried about what happens if Martinez is not available (injury or transfer) and that we need to close the massive gap between our first choice keeper and our second choice.  I am also concerned about cover at LB within my squad above.  A long-term injury to Digne would give us issue.  Ashley Forever-Young won't be (unfortunately) so whilst he'd do a job for a few matches - maybe the answer would be to push Mings wider and then play a more progressive RB to give us attacking options?

I suspect that some people will look at that selection and ask where the wingers are.  My answer would be that UE doesn't really play wingers - more quick, skillful players who start wide but with a view of attacking the goal - so Bailey, Watkins, our new CF and Archer can each do part of the brief - Buendia, Couts and JJ also (allbeit in a slightly different way).  Maybe if Couts or Sanson don't have a good second part of the season then they'd need to make way for another player who would be a closer match to Bailey but on the other flank.

I think you make some great points & I agree with a lot of your ideas. I do, though, think that Luiz will be partnered with Kamara or Dendoncker and then Buendia will play a more advanced midfield position. I'm also interested to see what we do in midfield with Tim and Aaron returning from (what looks like good atm) loans in the Championship. Then add in Sanson, McGinn, Nakamba, Chambers (not sure he would but can play in the midfield). That's 9 players for 2 or 3 spots. I don't think Nakamba has a future here, and McGinn just isn't PL standard. That still gives a lot of depth (maybe not high quality) but I think we need to get a couple more out/loaned. 

Lo Celso just makes so much sense, considering his history with Unai. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wages is the only issue and will stop any transfer. No club will give Ings a contract worth 130k per week. So we can’t sell him, not even for a fee of £1.

It will be loans for him, where Villa pay part of his wages. Another millstone around the neck.

Indeed - but the owners won't risk the "project" by not finding a way to get some of the financial hit covered.  Like you say that is likely to be a loan where we pick up some of the wages - but Ings is still a good option for a newly promoted team who play in a particular way.  I can almost guarantee that (unless we make sure he can't play against us) he'd be the type of player to come to VP for his new team, touch the ball twice and score twice!  I remember when he signed plenty of my non-Villa friends thought that he was a great option for us - we needed him and Ollie to click immediately but that never really happened.

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think you make some great points & I agree with a lot of your ideas. I do, though, think that Luiz will be partnered with Kamara or Dendoncker and then Buendia will play a more advanced midfield position. I'm also interested to see what we do in midfield with Tim and Aaron returning from (what looks like good atm) loans in the Championship. Then add in Sanson, McGinn, Nakamba, Chambers (not sure he would but can play in the midfield). That's 9 players for 2 or 3 spots. I don't think Nakamba has a future here, and McGinn just isn't PL standard. That still gives a lot of depth (maybe not high quality) but I think we need to get a couple more out/loaned. 

The Luiz / Donks partnership has surprised me in our last two home matches.  But I am still worried about what happens if Kamara gets injured again as whilst we have numbers in midfield, too many lack either the defensive discipline or the technical skill to control the middle of the pitch.  I do like Buendia but he did give away the ball stupidly (possibly because he was trying too hard to make an immediate impression) and I just feel that sometime Luiz might just be a calmer presence.  However, I think it is clear that we won't have a Starting XI and a bench - different players will play in different matches / different situations because we have a manager that is starting with at least three different Plans.  Plan A worked under Dean (enough of the time) but we always struggled when Plan A was injured and we had no real Plan B (it's a shame Plan A left before we could see whether the additions of Buendia and Bailey improved Plan A and gave Dean an effective Plan B).  I don't really know that Gerrard even had a Plan A.  UE seems to have a Plan A (home matches / weaker opposition), a Plan B (away matches / strong opposition), a Plan C (home / strong) and a Plan D (away / weak) and sometimes uses all four in a single match!  I suspect that might cause a few hiccups along the road but it will definitely involve more rotation and put more emphasis on the importance of a strong "starting" 16 or 17.

20 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I've not really seen enough of Lo Celso to know whether he would be a good signing or not - and / or how he would fit into our midfield.  I don't really like Spurs and so rarely watched them whilst he was there and without "MotD" highlights he kind of passed me by.

A first XI looking something like this:

?????

Bailey  Ramsey  ?????

Kamara  Luiz

Digne  ?????  Carlos  Cash

Martinez

With a bench including:

?????, Mings, Kesler-Hayden, Chrisene, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, Coutinho, Buendia, Watkins

Still leaving the following to rotate in or loan out:

Sinisalo, Feeney, Bogarde, Ramsey, Philogene, Archer + several other promising talents.

That looks like a great squad for next season with only 3 starters and a back up keeper who suits our style a bit better than Olsen to buy between now and next August! It also allows us to make a bit of money back on some players who move on.

End of contract/retiring/loan ending/sell:

Steer, Olsen, Guilbert, Chambers, Konsa, Bednarek, Young, Augustinsson, Nakamba, Sanson, McGinn, Traore, Davis, Wesley, Ings

We might not manage to move all of these on but worst case scenario, we wittle it down to about 5 names who can be in the squad for another season still, learning from the manager.

• 2 months later...

Everyone Comforted, and Confidence Regained

Goalkeepers: Martinez, Olsen, Sinisalo

Rightbacks: Cash, Ashley Young

Central defenders: Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers

Leftbacks: Moreno, Digne

Holding midfielders: Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker, Nakamba

Attacking midfielders: McGinn, Ramsey

Wide forwards: Buendia, Countinho, Bailey

Strikers: Watkins, Duran

That's okay bearing in mind some of those players can play various positions and we've also got the likes of Bogarde, Tommi O'Reilly, Kadan Young, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey when fit, and so on that can come in and do a job if need be, or at least provide an option from the bench.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Everyone Comforted, and Confidence Regained

Goalkeepers: Martinez, Olsen, Sinisalo

Rightbacks: Cash, Ashley Young

Central defenders: Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers

Leftbacks: Moreno, Digne

Holding midfielders: Luiz, Kamara, Dendoncker, Nakamba

Attacking midfielders: McGinn, Ramsey

Wide forwards: Buendia, Countinho, Bailey

Strikers: Watkins, Duran

That's okay bearing in mind some of those players can play various positions and we've also got the likes of Bogarde, Tommi O'Reilly, Kadan Young, Kesler, Aaron Ramsey when fit, and so on that can come in and do a job if need be, or at least provide an option from the bench.

Starting when fit (Current best side):

-------Watkins---Bailey-----
Buendia--Kamara-Luiz---Ramsey
Moreno- Mings- Konsa- Young
----------------Martinez------------

Bench: Olsen, Cash, Digne, Chambers, Carlos, Dendoncker, Mcginn, Coutinho, Duran

Who's left out: Nakamba, Sinisalo

Â