John Carew

MikeMcKenna

Article in The Times 🙁

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/john-carew-facing-two-years-in-prison-for-alleged-tax-evasion-0tmnp552n

John Carew facing two years in prison for alleged tax evasion

Carew insists that his failure to disclose his earnings from abroad was due to bad advice provided by his former agent, but the prosecution believes that he had plenty of chances to provide the correct information, but chose not to.

“I trusted him blindly,” Carew said. “I have been convinced that he was right. He controlled me almost like a puppet.

“I understand that it is grossly negligent of me to trust him so much, but that is why I have done it.”

Carew was charged with several counts of tax evasion by Norwegian authorities, culminating in 5.4 million NOK (about £454,000) between 2014 and 2019. During that period Carew claims that he did not live in Norway.

Norwegian law states that anyone who lives in Norway for more than 183 days (more than six months) in a year has to pay taxes. The trial showed that in 2014 Carew’s debit card was used 900-1,000 times in Norway, most often at golf courses. The prosecutor claimed that Carew had spent 259 days in Norway in 2015, while other years had totals of 299 days, 282 days, and 289 days.

The prosecutor believes that Carew acted with gross negligence from 2014 to 2016 but acted with knowledge and intent in the final three years of that period. The maximum prison sentence for this offence is six years.

Carew became the first black player to represent Norway, and scored 24 goals in 91 caps. He spent four years at Aston Villa before leaving in 2011 to play for Stoke City and West Ham United, where he retired the following year.

Prior to moving to England, Carew spent the first three years of his professional career in Norway, playing for Valerenga and Rosenborg, and then never turned to his home country, joining Valencia for four years before spells with Roma, Besiktas and Lyon. As a player, Carew won Norway player of the year three times, La Liga, Ligue 1, the Sky Bet Championship play-off final, and was a runner-up in FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League finals.

Since retiring from football, Carew has begun an acting career, including featuring in Disney’s Maleficent: Mistress of Evil alongside Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and Chiwetel Ejiofor in 2019.