Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I just hope, we are not expecting too much.

I expect him to steer us well clear of relegation this season.

He's got over a month to work on things during the World cup.

Next season expect top half.

Don't think that is too much to ask.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I expect him to steer us well clear of relegation this season.

He's got over a month to work on things during the World cup.

Next season expect top half.

Don't think that is too much to ask.

I just want to win games, on a game to game basis, and see where it takes us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

His lowest ever win rate is 46.2.

Think we might win some games.

I sincerely hope so, and yes, its a good barometer.

but we have seen it before, where managers have done well before they come to us.....signs are good..but lets hope he can.

I have concerns about the makeup of our squad....I hope he proves me wrong.

Maybe, this time, if he does struggle, more spotlight, might be on the team.

41 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

He will also get the big World Cup break as well.

That isn't spoken about enough. Basically like a pre season considering it's over a month's break :) 

Obviously some players will be unavailable but a lot of the squad will be available.

You do realise the other 19 clubs also have a pre season? Or is this something unique to ourselves? 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

You do realise the other 19 clubs also have a pre season? Or is this something unique to ourselves? 

He does have a unique opportunity to get some of his ideas across, though.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Yeah but Emery is elite.

He is elite, so we will improve. By how much depends on your assessment of our squad. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

He is elite, so we will improve. By how much depends on your assessment of our squad. 

I think by a lot.

Don't buy into the idea that a good manager need years to get his idea across. I think it's a bunch of non sense.

I have great confidence that we will significally improve us in a short space of time.

Edited by Pinebro

1 minute ago, av1 said:

pertinent question, I think some are taking for granted.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He does have a unique opportunity to get some of his ideas across, though.

I agree mate. It’s going to a huge month. I just get the feeling some are expecting miracles. 

The great thing about appointing a world class manager is that when he doesn’t take us straight into the top 4, people may start to realise that we have a hang average squad. 

He will need backing from the board to change things, and he will need backing from the fans. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree mate. It’s going to a huge month. I just get the feeling some are expecting miracles. 

The great thing about appointing a world class manager is that when he doesn’t take us straight into the top 4, people may start to realise that we have a hang average squad. 

He will need backing from the board to change things, and he will need backing from the fans. 

I agree totally.

I think the squad, is a weird one.....I understand, some think its good......it is good at somethings and not at others....problem is, too many are all good at the same things, and the things in the team, that are missing, they are all bad at.

This is where Newcastle, have been Savvy....They got the balance right, and then it becomes much easier to coach.......its hard to coach and imbalanced team.

I would bet, many players Newcastle, signed, we would have baulked at, as not good enough, we even made derisory comments when they signed Targett....I think we have been barking up the wrong tree, for some time.

I know, I will get hung for this, but I think some of us have delusions of grandeur.....and I say that respectfully.

Jack seduced us, with his talent......and we have took our eye off the ugly stuff.....we have since then tried to replace, that talent, and forgot how to defend.

However, I think Kamara and Carlos, was a cruel hand to play us, just when the focus, was getting back to robust type players......and we are back to square one....albeit temporarily.

I hope UE can spot what we need, and get the green light in Jan to fix us.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree totally.

I think the squad, is a weird one.....I understand, some think its good......it is good at somethings and not at others....problem is, too many are all good at the same things, and the things in the team, that are missing, they are all bad at.

This is where Newcastle, have been Savvy....They got the balance right, and then it becomes much easier to coach.......its hard to coach and imbalanced team.

I would bet, many players Newcastle, signed, we would have baulked at, as not good enough, we even made derisory comments when they signed Targett....I think we have been barking up the wrong tree, for some time.

I know, I will get hung for this, but I think some of us have delusions of grandeur.....and I say that respectfully.

Jack seduced us, with his talent......and we have took our eye off the ugly stuff.....we have since then tried to replace, that talent, and forgot how to defend.

However, I think Kamara and Carlos, was a cruel hand to play us, just when the focus, was getting back to robust type players......and we are back to square one....albeit temporarily.

I hope UE can spot what we need, and get the green light in Jan to fix us.

The bold bit is so true mate. Look at West Ham. Soucek,  Cresswell, Bowen. Dawson. Newcastle, Wilson, Wood, Burn. All just solid (if not spectacular) PL players. 

None of these lads would have been welcomed with open arms by the fans yet we get excited by someone like Sanson because he’s played in France. 

It’s a difficult balance. But every successful football team is built on a solid platform with some stardust adding the magic. We need backbone before thinking about the next fancy name. I’m not sure if Bernardo Silva effects the shit we saw at Newcastle. A Dawson, Soucek, Wilson and Burn probably does though. 

31 minutes ago, macandally said:

I see this as very similar to Ten Haag at United, the players there held the power, there were some major egos and some huge salaries but ultimately a fractious  dressing room and an environment not conducive to success.

Emery for me has the keys to the club like Ten Haag has, and should be 100% backed by the hierarchy.  Cutler and Danks likely moving on suggests this is the case, but he should be backed with respect to how he deals with Villas egos and cliques and who he brings in and who leaves as he rebuilds.

The Leeds/Liverpool game showed how small the margins are in the premier league. If I was Emery I would be looking at the youngsters like Archer & Iregoubum because of the energy and application they would bring, plus it sends a message to the current first team on what it takes to start under his Aston Villa.

Don’t be ridiculous. We all know only one man has the keys to the club. 

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

The bold bit is so true mate. Look at West Ham. Soucek,  Cresswell, Bowen. Dawson. Newcastle, Wilson, Wood, Burn. All just solid (if not spectacular) PL players. 

None of these lads would have been welcomed with open arms by the fans yet we get excited by someone like Sanson because he’s played in France. 

It’s a difficult balance. But every successful football team is built on a solid platform with some stardust adding the magic. We need backbone before thinking about the next fancy name. I’m not sure if Bernardo Silva effects the shit we saw at Newcastle. A Dawson, Soucek, Wilson and Burn probably does though. 

Spot on....

A snipers bullet, right between the eyes.

well said.

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Don’t be ridiculous. We all know only one man has the keys to the club. 

spacer.png

It is actually, funny.

Who would have guessed, the last man standing?

His biggest task is to get this weak mentality some of our players have sorted. 

Too often with this group we've seen stupid capitulations. Wolves at Home, Man City Away, Newcastle just gone, to name a few over the last couple of seasons. 

Get that reigned in and that is easily an extra 8-10 points per season. 

• Like 1

Â