6,8 or 10

AVFCGB

Given the numerous discussions about the need for a 6, 8 or 10, in the middle of the park, what defines this type of player?  Given some of the great midfielders who have worn the shirt, what would they be classed as, in 6, 8 or 10 terms…70,s onwards?

Bruce Rioch 

Chico Hamilton

Dennis Mortimer

Alex Cropley 

Sid Cowans 

Des Bremner

Steve McMahon

Ian Taylor

Andy Townsend

Kevin Richardson

Garry Parker

Ray Houghton

Mark Draper

Petrov is best case study here. Was attacking midfielder at Celtic so assumed he'd become our sort of Lampard or Gerrard in 8 position but simply didn't have the legs for that role every week in prem.

Despite getting stick early on he very much settled into a smart 6 for us infront of the back 4.

8 to me is just that tempo player who can get the ball across the pitch quickly when needed to get forward players on the ball and one v one against defenders so Barry would be good example of that even if he played a bit deeper on occasions.

I still wonder if Buendia could work in that position. Perhaps try it in pre season for a few games.

2 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

Given the numerous discussions about the need for a 6, 8 or 10, in the middle of the park, what defines this type of player?  Given some of the great midfielders who have worn the shirt, what would they be classed as, in 6, 8 or 10 terms…70,s onwards?

Bruce Rioch 

Chico Hamilton

Dennis Mortimer

Alex Cropley 

Sid Cowans 

Des Bremner

Steve McMahon

Ian Taylor

Andy Townsend

Kevin Richardson

Garry Parker

Ray Houghton

Mark Draper

Don't think there are any 10s in there. All 8s and an occasional 6. 

Kind of meaningless really, as there was no concept of those roles at the time.

If we're talking about who could play a present day 6 role, I'd say Rico, maybe Houghton. 8's - Draper, Townsend, Taylor.

If I had to say the name of a possible 10 from the past I'd say Lee Hendrie.

Â