Janzen Jackson

Chris Horton

Jojo Nicholas

Chad Jones (PUP)

K:

Lawrence Tynes

P:

Steve Weatherford

Oline is the only real weakness, but even then Baas, Petrus, Boothe and Beatty aren't exactly terrible players. Linebacker soncerned me a little, but on paper it looks strong. RB could be a concern, but then we can't be worse than last season and we went all the way.

No. 8: Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants

May 3rd, 2012 | Author: Sam Monson

Any time a season ends with a Super Bowl ring, it will always be remembered fondly, but Eli Manning had a truly remarkable season that deserves looking at in more detail.

The raw numbers are impressive in themselves: 4,933 yards, 29 touchdowns, 61% completion percentage, and a QB rating of 92.9 over the regular season, but what doesn’t show is the unique challenges that Eli had to face.

While the other passers in our Top 10 list saw no more than 147 total pressures last season, Eli Manning was subjected to a massive 220 in the same number of games. That’s well over four more per game, and matters only got worse in the playoffs. In the face of that, Manning managed to put up excellent numbers and his performances and grades only improved as the season went on, saving his best performance for the biggest game of them all–Super Bowl XLVI.

While most quarterbacks see their passer rating plummet in the face of pressure, Manning was still able to earn a QB rating of 81.2 when his throwing was disrupted and it’s those passes in particular that made the difference between a good season and a truly memorable one.

Making his performance even more remarkable was that the Giants were as aggressive as any team with their passing attack, aiming deep with determined regularity. Manning threw deep (20+ yards in the air) 20 times more than any other quarterback in the league, and remained near the top of the list in terms of accuracy on those passes. He threw for over 1,000 yards on go-routes alone last season as the Giants attacked the top of teams’ coverages.

In addition to all of these traits, Manning also proved to be exceptionally clutch, ranking second in the league in touchdowns on third down with 13; showing that when his back was up against the wall, he was at his best. Other quarterbacks may have put up better numbers, but it is the way in which Eli Manning produced his and the factors working against him that makes his season stand out and catapults him into the Top 10 of our ranking.

Best Performance: Super Bowl XLVI vs. New England Patriots (+8.2)

His season was impressive enough to begin with, but when you add in the playoffs, Eli Manning starts to breathe down the neck of Aaron Rodgers in our grading, and he saved his best game of the year for the Super Bowl.

Playing for the league title, Manning completed 75% of his passes, for 297 yards, a touchdown, and a QB rating of 103.9 on his way to a Super Bowl MVP award and a second ring in his career. In addition, the pressure that the Giants surrendered over the season didn’t magically evaporate in the Super Bowl, and he still dealt with it wonderfully. When blitzed, he completed every pass he attempted for a QB rating of 129.6, and when he was pressured–17 times in the game–he had a QB rating of 105.4; a ridiculous mark in the face of pressure.

The game’s best players are able to raise their performance an extra notch in the biggest games and Eli Manning was stellar on the biggest stage of all.

Key Stat: Manning faced pressure last season on 313 drop-backs, including playoffs.

What makes Manning’s season so special is that he did it in the face of more pressure than any other quarterback in football. In the regular season, the Giants’ offensive line allowed 15 more total pressures than any other unit in the NFL, and if you throw in the playoffs that number rockets up to 91. Eli had one of the best seasons in the league despite dealing with the single worst pass-blocking unit there was last year.

In David Diehl he had a sub-par guard playing with an injured hand protecting his blind side at left tackle for much of the year, and things didn’t get much better across the line, with even veteran stalwarts like Kareem McKenzie suddenly becoming a turnstile for pressure. To do what Manning was able to do under that kind of pressure is incredible, and to then become more accomplished as the season wore on to crunch time was even more so. Eli caught fire at the tail end of the season and rode that hot streak to a Super Bowl victory with very little help from his blocking, and that is why he is so high up our list in spite of some lesser play earlier in the year.

link

PFF's top 101 players feature Eli Manning at 8, JPP at 17, Cruz at 37 and Nicks at 50. That is it for the Super Bowl Champions!

Larry Izzo once gave “going for two” new meaning on the Patriots sideline

Posted by Josh Alper on May 4, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT

Grand+Opening+CBS+Scene+Restaurant+Bar+fb-_QeTgO5Bl Getty Images

We’ve heard stories about NFL players going to the bathroom on the sidelines before.

It was just last year that Chargers kicker Nick Novak was spied urinating on the sideline during a loss to the Broncos. There have been other instances of players watering the grass, but things have apparently gone much further than that.

During an interview with Dan LeBatard of ESPN, via Larry Brown Sports, Wes Welker spilled the beans on a story about former Pats linebacker Larry Izzo. LeBatard, likely inspired by Welker’s inspired work in commercials for Depends, asked the receiver if it was true that Izzo had once defecated while on the sideline during a game. LeBatard originally heard the story from Zach Thomas and Welker confirmed it was true. What’s more, Bill Belichick gave Izzo a game ball for pulling it off.

“This is 100% true,” Welker said. “And Larry would be so mad at me if I said that this did not happen, because he takes ultimate pride in this whole deal. Of all the special teams tackles and Pro Bowls he’s made, I guarantee you that game ball is probably a more prized item for him than his Super Bowl rings.”

There were some details left out of Welker’s retelling of Izzo’s feat. We don’t know about how it was cleaned up, disposed of or other things that are probably best left shrouded in secrecy.

Izzo is now an assistant special teams coach with the Giants. No word on if he’s now handing out game balls based on the same criteria.

link

:lol:

Draft Grades- Revisiting Kiper's Grades

DelBlue91 : 5/1/2012 12:17 am

After seeing all these posts on draft grades, and how we did. I wanted to see if I could dig up some of Mel Kiper's old draft grades and here's what I got. I went all the way back to the Eli draft, so from the start of the new era.

2004:

1- Manning

2- Snee

4- Torbor

5- Gibril Wilson

6- Jamaar Taylor

7- Strojny

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: C+

It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season.

2005:

2- Webster

3- Tuck

4- Jacobs

6- Eric Moore

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: C

Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team.

2006:

1- Kiwanuka

2- Moss

3- Wilkinson

4- Cofield

4- Whimper

5- Peprah

7- Gerrick McPhearson

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: GRADE: C+

DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a reach late in the first round, but he will get a chance to learn from Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft; he could be the deep threat the Giants' offense needs. Guy Whimper is a versatile offensive lineman and could have gone higher than the fourth round.

2007:

1- Ross

2- Steve Smith

3- Alford

4- DeOssie

5- Boss

6- Koets

7- Michael Johnson

7- Bradshaw

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: GRADE: C-

I would have gone differently with the Giants’ draft. Cornerback Aaron Ross has very good ball skills but not great catchup speed. I was surprised they didn’t take left tackle Joe Staley because they need someone who can protect Eli Manning’s blind side. The Giants took offensive tackle Adam Koets in the sixth round and even passed on left tackle Jermon Bushrod. If they had taken Staley, they could have drafted Eric Wright from UNLV instead of WR Steve Smith. I would rather have had Staley and Wright, but Smith is a good receiver and will be someone who holds onto the ball. Zak DeOssie was a really good long snapper in college and, at worst, will be a backup linebacker in the NFL. Kevin Boss (fifth round) is a natural pass-catching tight end with speed and has a chance to make an impact in the passing game. Safety Michael Johnson was a good pick in the seventh round but needs to be more physical.

2008:

1- Phillips

2- T. Thomas

3- Manningham

4- Kehl

5- Goff

6- Woodson

6- Robert Henderson

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: GRADE: C+

I understand taking safety Kenny Phillips with the last pick in the first round. He had a great sophomore season in 2006. Terrell Thomas could be a No. 2 cornerback, but I thought that pick was just OK. Wide receiver Mario Manningham is worth a role of the dice in the third round because he has talent, but his stock dropped in the months leading up to the draft, with some teams viewing him as a late-round pick. Jonathan Goff was a good find in the fifth round, and the same can be said about Andre’ Woodson in Round 6. Defensive end Robert Henderson is just a marginal prospect.

2009:

1- Nicks

2- Stintim

2- Beatty

3- Barden

3- Beckum

4- Andre Brown

5- Bomar

6- Wright

7- Woodson

Kiper:

Quote:

New York Giants: GRADE: B

The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Long story is, Kiper's not the draft grader to read..

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Witherspoon has been waived as he tore his ACL again. Sadly that might be the career for him as he will be late 20's and coming off 2ACL's in back to back seasons. Think I'd call it a day.

In worse news Hakeem Nicks has fractured his 5th metatarsal and will be out for 12 weeks. ****!

• 2 weeks later...

Since i last posted Coughlin has been extended through 2014 and Osi has got a few more $$$ for this season meaning he should turn up and be happy! We were also at the whitehouse today:

610x.jpg

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg

610x.jpg

Ballard cut as he wont play this year but them claimed by the last tean on waivers, the PATs! They get to pay him $540k this year to not play but then get the chance to offer him a contract as a RFA next offseason. That sucks. They also get a lot of info on the Giants O, so a typical very smart move by Belichick.

AvNSfgOCQAE1oLl.jpg

Tucks new facemask! Id say thats more to do with people getting their fingers in his mask, twisting it and causing neck injuries etc than just looking mean.

Was going to post that news, kkr.

Is Belichick aiming for a three-TE base set?

(Considering the long odds of the Patriots & Giants meeting in the next few years, I don't think Belichick wants Ballard's knowledge of the Giants' offense)

Wouldn't surprise me if he had some crazy 3 or 4 TE package in mind and basically said ok try and stop us running or passing. Ballard wont play until 2013 though so i guess he could be an insurance policy against Hernandez who is a free agent the next offseason? Is that right?

He could still be bringing in Ballard at a cost of $540k to bleed him of all Giants O knowledge on the off chance that we play one another in the Super Bowl the next three years. We have put 2 L's on his record in the big game so i think he could justify paying $540k to get some inside info on Eli, Gilbride and the offense etc.

Yeah, I think the hedge on Hernandez is the best theory, though I could see a formation of:

X Hernandez

Y Lloyd

Z Welker

H Gronkowski

TE Ballard

Some have advanced that he did this just to screw over the Giants, but it's always been fairly clear that Belichick has a soft spot for Coughlin and especially the Maras.

Â