Baseball 2021

El Zen

• 3 weeks later...

Four teams are still in the AL wild card race as we enter gameday 162. Yanks and Sox are tied, with the Mariners and Blue Jays each a game out. We could potentially have a four way tie. Madness.

The 2021 Yankees really have no business getting to a World Series, and the organisation is ripe for wholesale changes. If they crash out today, I won’t be too upset. 

One feels obliged to point out how the divisional standings going into the final day of the regular season highlight the imbalanced setup of MLB divisions, though. The AL East has four teams out of five over 90 wins. The AL Central is a cakewalk for the ChiSox, with four out of five teams on losing records. The Atlanta Braves will win the NL East on far fewer wins than all of the Yankees, Sox, Blue Jays and Mariners, two of which will be eliminated today. The Braves go directly into the NL Divisional Series, while the 105 win Dodgers have to play the 90 win Cardinals in a one off elimination game to get into the NLDS. 

@maqroll

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Even if we hang on, the spirit and will seem lacking. Doubt we'd go far.

Well, it looks a lot like it will be Yanks @ Boston for the Wild Card game, after the Sox have come back from 5-1 down to a 7-5 lead in the 9th.

Should the Sox’ closer somehow mess it up, it will be a tie breaker between the Sox and Jays for the right to play the WC game at Yankee Stadium. 

Unsurprisingly, Yanks come up short and the Sox advance to an ALDS date with the Rays in a 6-2 contest at Fenway.

This Yankee organisation is deeply, deeply flawed and has wasted good years from some very talented players. This was supposed to be a window of success, and Brian Cashman has completely wasted it. 

Owner, GM and manager are all either not interested, way past their sell by date or just plain incompetent. 

Aaron Boone surely can’t return as manager. 

But more than anything, I want Brian Cashman replaced. 

I’d love, love, love it if they replaced him with Theo Epstein. 

But they won’t.

The Evil Empire is in rapid decline, and looks more like the last years of Rome. 

Questions have to be asked of Cole. $324m contract with an expectation that he'd dominate games like last night. He's looked bad ever since he got busted with the tacky substance. I'd be very concerned. 

As for the Sox, still don't think we have the pitching to advance. But the playoffs are all about momentum and last night was a good start. 

• Like 1

Questions definitely asked about Cole. It’ll be interesting to see how he bounces back with an off season to reinvent himself. He also had a bad hammy in Sept. Worst case, we’re stuck with a very, very expensive middle of the rotation guy for a very, very long time. Hopefully, he’ll turn out to be a solid ace, just an overpaid one. Next year will show which it is.

I think Tampa Bay can go very far. They’re the complete package. Dogers vs. Rays, is my guess. 

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

I did enjoy hearing the audio of the Yankees commentator calling a home run without realising it hit the Green Monster and fell in for a base hit.

To be fair, the guy at ESPN did the same, and I was 101 per cent sure it was gone judging from initial launch angle and the sound of it. Haven’t heard John Sterling’s call, but I’m sure it was unintentionally hilarious. Everything the guy does is. About 15 years past retirement and gets more wrong than right. ‘High fly ball to left, it is far…and the shortstop makes the play easily for the second out’. 

In other news, Dodgers walk off against the Cards to advance to the ALDS. Sets up a mouthwatering series between two rivals and 100+ wins teams (SFG). Should be good. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta up 3-1 with a chance to win it all at home tonight. I think the Astros are a disgusting club, so I say go on ATL, make that little **** Altuve cry. 

Â