Mauritius

Stevo985

So after toying with Japan for a while, the OH and I have ended up booking Mauritius on a bit of a spur of the moment thing.

We're staying in the North of the island.

I don't think there's that much to do there by the looks of things. Which this time around I'm not too fussed about. I'm having (have had) a few other trips this year so I'm ok with sitting on a beach for 2 weeks.

But, as always, any advice on anything cool there is to do there or worthwhile trips I'm all ears.

you might be surprised to know I've been here  :)

I can't recall where they are in terms of North , South etc but

Pamplemousses (botanical gardens)  is worth a visit if you venture out from the resort , you could probably hire a taxi for a day and go there and Port Louis (capital) for a look around ..

Grand Baie is more like the magaluf side of town so you could take a bus there and go out on banana boats and get drunk at various bars and buy tourist tat at the various stalls if you get bored with the hotel pool / beach

most of the hotels will offer you hobby cats , sailing , even microlights ( flew over the bay  near Flac and saw sharks and sting rays which was pretty cool , more so as went back to the bay the next day and scuba dived with them with them  , bull sharks circling us like Indians around  a wagon train  FTW   :)  ) etc so to be honest you'll find plenty to keep you busy even if you stay in the hotel

nice island , pack your snorkel as the marine life  is amazing

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Knew you'd be along sharpish ;) 

Did snorkelling for the first time 2 years ago in Jamaica and thought it was amazing. So I'll definitely be up for doing that.

Sounds pretty much like I was expecting. We'll keep ourselves busy for sure but doesn't sound like the kind of place you can travel around for days looking at sights and historic stuff :D 

• 1 month later...

Three weeks until I'm there. Been convincing the OH to try snorkelling (she has a bit of a water phobia)

Any more advice on stuff to do much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

It was really good!

The island is beautiful. One of the most scenic places I've ever been. Blue seas, green mountains, white beaches. Beautiful.

We stayed in the North, Anse La Raie was the area. 

Weather was decent at this time. Mid to late twenties. Only issue was there was a fair bit of wind and cloud. Didn't affect us too much as we could retreat to the pool which was sheltered if it got windy, but if you're in an exposed area it might get irritating. Was only on some days though, others it was totally clear.

Grand Baie was only 15 minutes drive away, if that. We went there in the day and it was quiet to be honest. That's the spot for nightlife but during the day it wasn't great. Couldn't even find any restaurants. And the huge shopping mall seems quite out of place :D

Also went to Goodlands. Smaller town not far from where we were. They had a market every tuesday and thursday. Worth it on those days but there was **** all else there so avoid on any other day.

We did a tour of the island too. Botanical gardens which were really cool. Sounds a bit dull when you say it's just a bunch of trees and plants but was well worth it. Splash out on a guide if you do it though as you'll get a lot more out of it (I say splash out, the guide was 100 rupees each plus a tip. So 200 rupees total, let's say. Which is less than £5).
Saw Hindu temples, visited the volcano in the middle of the island, went down to the south and visited the 7 coloured sands and some waterfalls. Decent day out. Saw some wild monkeys too which was really cool.

The island is small so a good thing to do would be hire a car and drive yourself around. The only reason we didn't do that option was a lack of sat nav (couldn't use my data out there) and the day trip we found was pretty cheap so we didn't bother.

We also did  a speedboat trip on the east coast of the island. Included some snorkelling and visited 5 or 6 islands. Saw turtles and shit loads of fish. Islands were beautiful, boat was fun.
Only criticism of that was the snorkelling spots they chose were really busy so was quite irritating. I saw more feet than fish!
But they did snorkelling at our hotel too which was much better.

I think it was a good choice. And weather in November will be much better than it was for us (and it wasn't bad for us at all!)
Any other questions ask and I'll answer if I can.

Amazing review! Cheers Stevo!

definitely somewhere I wanna go. Looks incredible and I have a friend from there I did some training with a while back and he kept telling me to go visit.

its kinda between there, Thailand or Cancun. Wanna go somewhere for 10 days, plenty of time to chill, but of nightlife if we fancied it. Oh and I really fancy Mauritius cause it doesn’t seem to be overly touristy etc. Definitely sounds like plenty to do!

1 hour ago, BennettVilla said:

Amazing review! Cheers Stevo!

definitely somewhere I wanna go. Looks incredible and I have a friend from there I did some training with a while back and he kept telling me to go visit.

its kinda between there, Thailand or Cancun. Wanna go somewhere for 10 days, plenty of time to chill, but of nightlife if we fancied it. Oh and I really fancy Mauritius cause it doesn’t seem to be overly touristy etc. Definitely sounds like plenty to do!

I've been to all three.

I'd strike Thailand off the list. Amazing place, but not somewhere you want to go and just chill, imo. Too much to see and too many places to go. It's the kind of holiday you'll want to travel to a different place every couple of days.

I did it that way and I loved it, but it wasn't the most relaxing holiday in the world :)

If you really value the nightlife, Cancun is probably the best bet. That being said, I didn't really sample any of the Mauritius nightlife so it might be really good too. Obviously Cancun is much more of a party destination though.

• 4 years later...

So I am off here on Honeymoon next month, was wondering if anyone else had been recently and had any must see places or things to do? 

We are in the North and are there for 10 days, we have a few trips already in the pipeline (rum and tea tour, diving with turtles/sharks). 

We will probably have a day trip over to Port Louis as well towards the end.

I have seen also that there are stricter bans on smoking there now which as a smoker will be interesting, i had no intention to smoke on the beaches in restaurants etc anyway but I cannot find much info on smoking around the hotel, smoking areas etc.

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

So I am off here on Honeymoon next month, was wondering if anyone else had been recently and had any must see places or things to do? 

We are in the North and are there for 10 days, we have a few trips already in the pipeline (rum and tea tour, diving with turtles/sharks). 

I have seen also that there are stricter bans on smoking there now which as a smoker will be interesting, i had no intention to smoke on the beaches in restaurants etc anyway but I cannot find much info on smoking around the hotel, smoking areas etc.

It was four years ago but most of this should still apply:

On 29/07/2019 at 08:46, Stevo985 said:

It was really good!

The island is beautiful. One of the most scenic places I've ever been. Blue seas, green mountains, white beaches. Beautiful.

We stayed in the North, Anse La Raie was the area. 

Weather was decent at this time. Mid to late twenties. Only issue was there was a fair bit of wind and cloud. Didn't affect us too much as we could retreat to the pool which was sheltered if it got windy, but if you're in an exposed area it might get irritating. Was only on some days though, others it was totally clear.

Grand Baie was only 15 minutes drive away, if that. We went there in the day and it was quiet to be honest. That's the spot for nightlife but during the day it wasn't great. Couldn't even find any restaurants. And the huge shopping mall seems quite out of place :D

Also went to Goodlands. Smaller town not far from where we were. They had a market every tuesday and thursday. Worth it on those days but there was **** all else there so avoid on any other day.

We did a tour of the island too. Botanical gardens which were really cool. Sounds a bit dull when you say it's just a bunch of trees and plants but was well worth it. Splash out on a guide if you do it though as you'll get a lot more out of it (I say splash out, the guide was 100 rupees each plus a tip. So 200 rupees total, let's say. Which is less than £5).
Saw Hindu temples, visited the volcano in the middle of the island, went down to the south and visited the 7 coloured sands and some waterfalls. Decent day out. Saw some wild monkeys too which was really cool.

The island is small so a good thing to do would be hire a car and drive yourself around. The only reason we didn't do that option was a lack of sat nav (couldn't use my data out there) and the day trip we found was pretty cheap so we didn't bother.

We also did  a speedboat trip on the east coast of the island. Included some snorkelling and visited 5 or 6 islands. Saw turtles and shit loads of fish. Islands were beautiful, boat was fun.
Only criticism of that was the snorkelling spots they chose were really busy so was quite irritating. I saw more feet than fish!
But they did snorkelling at our hotel too which was much better.

I think it was a good choice. And weather in November will be much better than it was for us (and it wasn't bad for us at all!)
Any other questions ask and I'll answer if I can.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 13:08, mrbojangles said:

Hi there, we had our honeymoon in Mauritius in 2007. Stunning hotels and beaches and great place to relax after a wedding. All the best on the big day 👍

We were on the west coast in a place called the Maritim and the beach, pools, food and drink were fantastic. You won’t regret the experience.

We hired a taxi for the day as recommended by the hotel. Very cheap but worth it and nothing was an issue for the driver. Went basically around the whole island, doing various stops like the seven sands, wild monkeys and temples. I seem to remember a small zoo or nature park that was good also and did some shopping around the capital.

Only negative was the flight for me being quite tall and we didn’t upgrade our seats at the time. It was in the August, full plane and quite expensive. I think it was approximately 12 hours and i’d had enough after about six hours.

However, once at the hotel it was heaven. 

• Like 1

Â