Google Chrome - multiple users

mjmooney

(Windows 10)

My wife and I have separate Google accounts (for Gmail, photos, etc.), so I've set up two different Chrome home page shortcuts, one for each of us - that way we can have different bookmark bars, etc. 

We also have a joint Virgin.com email account - but tbh it's 90% used by her for shopping emails - accessed via a locally installed mail client (Mozilla Thunderbird). When she clicks on a weblink in one of these emails, it fires up Chrome - but it always uses the one with MY Google login (presumably because I set up mine first, so it's the default prime user/admin/whatever). Does anybody know if there's any way to get it to go into 'her' Chrome page instead? 

How Chrome profiles are intended to work is that it opens up the most recently used profile. It should only be opening your profile if you were the last person to use Chrome. There's no way to set a default unfortunately.

However, Chrome also allows you to configure the shortcut that you use to Open Chrome - so you could have one shortcut on your desktop that opens your profile, and one that opens her profile. That should have happened by default, if you don't have those shortcuts, they're in Chrome settings, select the user, and check 'show desktop shortcut'.

That on its own obviously doesn't help with Thunderbird, but what you could then do is follow this page, which allows you to change the browser that Thunderbird uses,  when you get to the bit about 'the browser you want to use isn't listed', you'll hopefully be able to select the shortcut on the desktop that opens her profile.

• 3 weeks later...
Â