The Fighting Game Resurgence

Chindie

On 02/05/2019 at 08:54, Demitri_C said:

I heard there was issues with the games nit saving properly and people losing all their rewards? 

Haven't heard anything like that at all.

For idea of how hard some of the MK11 challenge towers are/were, one of the towers was 2v1 Scorpion and Sub-Zero, with blocking disabled and damaging mist at crouch level, which you have to beat with a double flawless victory. So you have to beat both Scorpion and Sub-Zero twice without being hit with no block ability or crouching. Twice.

The only way to do this is to have a specific set of konsumable buffs active and/or be obscenely lucky

54 minutes ago, Chindie said:

For idea of how hard some of the MK11 challenge towers are/were, one of the towers was 2v1 Scorpion and Sub-Zero, with blocking disabled and damaging mist at crouch level, which you have to beat with a double flawless victory. So you have to beat both Scorpion and Sub-Zero twice without being hit with no block ability or crouching. Twice.

The only way to do this is to have a specific set of konsumable buffs active and/or be obscenely lucky

This game sounds ridiculous. The mor ei here the more I'm disliking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, considered by many the greatest fighting game of all time, is 20 years old.

Street Fighter 3 was much maligned on its original release, with it having a new roster of weird characters that ditched the beloved characters of SF2 and it having tweaked mechanics, most notably the parry system, that changed the way the game played. By the third iteration of the game Capcom had tweaked and perfected the game and had addressed the issues with the lineup (by chucking in old favourites like Ryu, Ken and Chun-li, and adding new characters that closely matched the style of non-returning characters, i.e. Remy is heavily inspired by Guile) and basically created the greatest 2d fighter ever. And importantly it also looked incredible. The game arguably has the best 2d pixel art ever, with incredible levels of animation and detail, and still looks brilliant to this day.

Unfortunately at the time nobody cared. The success of the SF2 series had left people wanting something to blow away those games, and SF3 was more of an evolution. Technology improvements had meant people were looking towards 3d fighters for their thrills, and SF3 felt behind the curve and old hat. And of course the game had it's weird, ugly characters that felt like they belonged more to Darkstalkers in some ways.

But over the years since, with various re-releases (I never it's even on the Switch as part of the 30th anniversary collection), most notably the 360 era online edition, it's been reassessed and is now a beloved game. Not least of all because of this (which this post is basically an excuse to repost, because it's awesome)

The 2 best Street Fighter players in the world end a match with the best moment in a fighting game ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit.

Having Shang Tsung being able to use the move of some of the missing ninjas is cool. Obviously I'd prefer to just have those characters in the game but if they want to mix up some of the characters is a nice way to have them in the game still, sorta. And makes sense for the character. He looks ludicrously good.

Also looks like the leaked DLC character list is on the money. Not sure why they chose to keep a couple of them secret when everyone already knows who they are, but still. It's not a bad lineup, some less well known 'klassic' characters and some appropriate guests (people have wanted Spawn in the game since they started the guest thing).

On 22/05/2019 at 06:47, Chindie said:

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, considered by many the greatest fighting game of all time, is 20 years old.

Street Fighter 3 was much maligned on its original release, with it having a new roster of weird characters that ditched the beloved characters of SF2 and it having tweaked mechanics, most notably the parry system, that changed the way the game played. By the third iteration of the game Capcom had tweaked and perfected the game and had addressed the issues with the lineup (by chucking in old favourites like Ryu, Ken and Chun-li, and adding new characters that closely matched the style of non-returning characters, i.e. Remy is heavily inspired by Guile) and basically created the greatest 2d fighter ever. And importantly it also looked incredible. The game arguably has the best 2d pixel art ever, with incredible levels of animation and detail, and still looks brilliant to this day.

Unfortunately at the time nobody cared. The success of the SF2 series had left people wanting something to blow away those games, and SF3 was more of an evolution. Technology improvements had meant people were looking towards 3d fighters for their thrills, and SF3 felt behind the curve and old hat. And of course the game had it's weird, ugly characters that felt like they belonged more to Darkstalkers in some ways.

But over the years since, with various re-releases (I never it's even on the Switch as part of the 30th anniversary collection), most notably the 360 era online edition, it's been reassessed and is now a beloved game. Not least of all because of this (which this post is basically an excuse to repost, because it's awesome)

The 2 best Street Fighter players in the world end a match with the best moment in a fighting game ever.

Easily my favorite SF game. A masterpiece. Wasted countless coins on it in the arcade and hours on my CPS3 emulator with my bro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Terminator is coming to Mortal Kombat 11 next week and err... He's a bit disappointing. Looks great but they seem to have basically taken Jason from MKX and given him an Arnie skin with minor adjustments to make him Terminator-y. Bit of a shame. 

Hopefully the remaining new characters from the first season of DLC are better. Particularly Spawn.

The Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection it's brilliant. The arcade filter is just gorgeous too. Never thought I'd see the day I'd play an arcade-perfect Street Fighter 3 Third Strike on my own 65" TV on a console.

On 05/10/2019 at 12:49, Chindie said:

The Terminator is coming to Mortal Kombat 11 next week and err... He's a bit disappointing. Looks great but they seem to have basically taken Jason from MKX and given him an Arnie skin with minor adjustments to make him Terminator-y. Bit of a shame. 

Hopefully the remaining new characters from the first season of DLC are better. Particularly Spawn.

This MK is crap. I really don't like it at all. 10 was so much better.

On 02/06/2019 at 16:28, Demitri_C said:

I. Still waiting for this to drop in price in the switch 

There is a Street Fighter game on offer on the estore right now. I only know because I was tempted, I'm not massive on fighting games, but enjoy them now and then.

7 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

There is a Street Fighter game on offer on the estore right now. I only know because I was tempted, I'm not massive on fighting games, but enjoy them now and then.

If it's the anniversary one it's all the ones. I have the hd one. Its good that one 

On 07/10/2019 at 14:30, Demitri_C said:

This MK is crap. I really don't like it at all. 10 was so much better.

I think it's better than X. X is an ugly, ugly game I hated most of the new characters, and I didn't think it played very well.

I like XI's look and gameplay more, the slower more methodical style, and I like the tweaks they've made to the customisation and variation systems. On the downside the roster could be better, and it's reliance on power ups for a lot of the towers of time stuff is bollocks.

There are people that prefer X's faster play, notably Maximilian has recently said he finds X to be more fun to play having gone back to it since XI's release, but for me I can't see any reason why I would want to go back to the older game. If nothing else because it's so horrific to look at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I think it's better than X. X is an ugly, ugly game I hated most of the new characters, and I didn't think it played very well.

I like XI's look and gameplay more, the slower more methodical style, and I like the tweaks they've made to the customisation and variation systems. On the downside the roster could be better, and it's reliance on power ups for a lot of the towers of time stuff is bollocks.

There are people that prefer X's faster play, notably Maximilian has recently said he finds X to be more fun to play having gone back to it since XI's release, but for me I can't see any reason why I would want to go back to the older game. If nothing else because it's so horrific to look at.

I agree about the roster for 11. It's terrible.  So many good charchters have not been included for some utter shit ones. 

I like Xs gameplay alot more. The switch version is absolutely terrible I might add. 

On 07/10/2019 at 18:24, avfcDJ said:

It's a collection of 12 games. Arcade ports of the original plus all the SF2 variants, the 3 Alphas and the 3 SF3's. When there's a sale you could get all of those for about 30 bucks. It's great.

Edited by Keyblade

45 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's a collection of 12 games. Arcade ports of the original plus all the SF2 variants, the 3 Alphas and the 3 SF3's. When there's a sale you could get all of those for about 30 bucks. It's great.

Sounds good. I'll have a think about getting it, I've already spent £200 on games this month, and a new Switch 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Sounds good. I'll have a think about getting it, I've already spent £200 on games this month, and a new Switch 😁

I heard there's a Capcom sale on the eShop this week, but I haven't checked so I'm not sure if SF is discounted too. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is like 80% off though.

Â