Router Advice

V01

I'm with Virgin for broadband, the superhub is gash. It's recently started to block my laptop from connecting for no reason and will only reconnect after a power cycle. 

Rather than **** about all the while I want to get a new router and run the superhub in modem mode. Is there a particular brand or model I should be looking out for? Aiming for the lower end of the spectrum, just needs a decent signal, shouldn't be more than 4-5 devices connected at any one time.

I think what you are describing is an access point (AP). This is something that plugs into your router and is a WiFi controller which you configure separately. There are a huge number available.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I think what you are describing is an access point (AP). This is something that plugs into your router and is a WiFi controller which you configure separately. There are a huge number available.

He's quite right that the superhub can have it's router capabilities fully disabled and run in modem only mode, with a different router plugged in to it.

It's something I'd strongly recommend above just using an access point, as the SuperDud still occasionally needs powercycling even if it's not being used for WiFi.

I was looking at basic routers on a low budget  a few months ago to do a similar job for my parents, and after digging through quite a few reviews the one I settled on was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-TEW-813DRU-AC1200-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00N3STLJC

Good speed for the money, rock solid stability, good range. It lacks a lot of (basically all) power user features I'd be looking at if I wanted a new router, but if you just want to plug it in, change the password, and never have to think about it again, I don't think you'll do any better for £40.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, V01 said:

found these, am I right in thinking AC is better than B/G/N? 

Yes

1 hour ago, V01 said:

Leaning towards the TP Link one.

Based on my experience with Asus routers, I'd go with them. That said, I haven't tried that model. I find TP-link a bit cheap/iffy

Â