Summer Sports

steve1986

Hi everyone, I am hopefully going to be travelling around America next summer during the end of July to the middle of August. I was wondering what sports are on then, as I would love to see something whilst I am out there.

Thanks

Plenty of choice for Baseball then. Padres in SD. Dodgers and Angels in LA. Giants and Oakland A's in the Bay Area. Then in NY you have The Evil Empire and the mighty New York Metropolitans :D

I have been to 4 of those and would recommend Giants (nice stadium by the bay, easy to get to) Oakland A's not so much (bit of a faff to get to and the stadium has seen better days.

In NY The Yankees for the tourist value and the Mets for a better blue collar baseball experience 

But whichever one you end up at I would recommend it for the experience of something uniquely American 

I'd go to the Giants in California, best city there, best stadium, decent team.

I can't advise you on the New York clubs, they both disgust me. Bring plenty of hand sanitizer.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd go to the Giants in California, best city there, best stadium, decent team.

I can't advise you on the New York clubs, they both disgust me. Bring plenty of hand sanitizer.

On the first point I agree

On the second point I half agree :D

Seems like it's usually the 2nd Thursday in August. So 2016, if I had to guess, would be August 11th. If you're finishing your trip in NY, chances are there will be a Giants/Jets home gome within a week or so of that date.

I went to Yankee Stadium and Citi within a couple of days of each other. Yankees first. The atmosphere felt a bit flat. I wouldn't say it was a bad experience just felt nowhere near as good as at the Mets game. The crowd were not as involved in the game and I got the same sort of feeling that I get when visiting any massively successful team, a sense of entitlement to win. 

And certainly around where I was sat there seemed to be a lot of "tourist" fans

Now i'm not saying a visit to Yankee stadium wouldn't be a great experience for a one off. It definitely would. Just as a visit to Old Trafford or The Allianz Arena would. 

The atmosphere at baseball games is very context dependent, isn't it? I'm sure both NYS and Citi can be electric given the right circumstances. 

I couldn't possibly be objective about it, because as a Yankee fan, experiencing Yankee Stadium was a near religious experience, even if it was for a relatively insignificant early season game vs the Mariners. 

19 hours ago, Michelsen said:

The atmosphere at baseball games is very context dependent, isn't it?

Totally. A lazy July day game against some crappy last place team is more about relaxing in the sun and enjoying a day off of work. 

A late September night game with a playoff spot on the line against a direct rival means people are standing up, hanging on every pitch and there's an energy surge that you can really feel. 

Â