Scott Carson joins Villa

BOF

Aston Villa today completed their 3rd senior signing of the summer, adding Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson to the squad on a season-long loan.

Villa had to wait for Liverpool to sign a backup for Pepe Reina, and as soon as Charles Itandje signed for them yesterday from Lens the path was cleared for Martin O'Neill to bring in a keeper he rates very highly after he performed minor miracles at Charlton Athletic last season.

Villa's need for competition at goalkeeper was exacerbated when Thomas Sorensen pulled a hamstring during their pre-season tour of North America and it is being reported that Villa will pay Liverpool between £2m & £2.5m in loan fees to acquire the player for the season.

Scott Carson will not be 22 until the 3rd of September and he will be looking at this season with Villa as an opportunity to play first team football and further his budding international career.

Despite joining in time for the Premiership opener, he will not feature, as Liverpool are his parent club and our opponent on the day. Therefore it is fully expected that Stuart Taylor will deputise between the sticks @ 17:15 when both teams kick off their Premiership campaigns 2 hours later than most others.

It is now thought that Martin O'Neill will switch his attentions to strengthening his defence which currently only has 3 centrebacks, no fit rightbacks and only makeshift cover for Bouma at leftback.

This could be a brilliant signing!

agreed. Top keeper IMO.

a good signing, and one which i feel may well be for longer than 10 months if things pan out as MON minght expect ....

astute bussiness IMO, even given the large-ish loan fee. It's large for 2 reasons IMO .....

Good signing MON, but really... a loan player? Can't really drum the villa 5 year plan into him can you. But thankfully, scott wants to be england number 1 so he's got loads of drive without our help. Easily a starter over tommy. I wont forget all those blunders that made me want to crawl up into a hole and die. thats pure tommy gold.

astute bussiness IMO, even given the large-ish loan fee. It's large for 2 reasons IMO .....

because the Loan - Arranger always get's his man?

Jesus wept Drat! :)

another Ian classic. :lol:

he's got a book of corny puns somewhere, i'm sure of it :winkold:

but in answer, yes. I think the loan - arranger will get his man at the end of the season if not sooner.

That's why he paid a sizeable loan fee IMO. At the end of this season SC will have less than 1 year left on his contract, so his price comes down somewhat.

So in some respects the £2.5m could be seen as downpayment on the player. Lob in another £6m or so at season end and you get your man IMO.

The only slight problem in all of this is that "others" might come sniffing around too, pushing the price up.

That's why he paid a sizeable loan fee IMO. At the end of this season SC will have less than 1 year left on his contract,

Carson just signed a new contract at Liverpool until july 2011 a few months back

you sure about this? All the papers are reporting he's in his final 2 years.

:?

If you are correct, kind of blows my theory out of the window!

still, can't see him being at Liverpool as No. 2 next season, long contract or not.

He'll just cost a bit more, t'is all.

EDIT: you are correct - just checked and he penned a 5 year deal in 2006. Eeejut!

can't see him going anywhere now unless it's VERY big money in the summer. Ah well. at least we have very big money :winkold:

Â