Premier League reduced to 18 teams

Zatman

5 hours ago, limpid said:

This thread isn't in the Villa forum. I don't understand what your point is. Are you for or against?

I was inferring that if they did reduce the league to 18 teams then it won't affect us. Had they done it earlier, say last season, then it would have. I know it's not in the Villa forum but I am a Villa fan so thought I'd make reference to the club I support. For what it's worth I reckon it's a good idea in principal but I doubt it'LL go ahead for a good few years at least given the new tv deal.

• Like 1

I could actually see this happening gradually from about 5 years time alongside the formation of Premier League 2 (which i think has been suggested before) with another 18 teams making up PL2. So rather than the current PL being reduced, it'll actually be extended, which I would imagine would please the current Championship & League 1 sides competing to be one of the 16 teams making up PL2.

Or it might not. 

It'll never happen. Also if the FA are so concerned with player wlefare why don't they scrap FA cup replays rather than trying to reduce the number of teams in the league. Is it because they get to keep the money from the FA cup TV deals but get nothing from the Premier League TV deal?

Â