I Reserve The Right To Be Disappointed So Far

JohnCresswell

At the end of the day we have had 5 players go out and only 1 come in and we are already several days into pre-season training.

in practice we're not, and this misses the point slightly IMO.

much of out first team is not in pre season yet as they have been playing internationals and so have been given extended leave. It's reasonable to assume that we might be after players on the interantional stage (like NRC) who we'd give extended leave to also, so no actault pre season may have been missed yet.

Furtyhermore, of those 5 players that we have let go, how many we're 1st team regulars towards the end of last season. Davis was a fringle player towards the end, ditto Hughes. They would not have got much pitch time at all this season had they stayed.

So with the players we've let go, we've lost very little, and still have plenty of time to bering people in before the serious part of pre season training gets under way.

I for one am please to see MON is not panic buying to appease fans but is actaully going after the players he wants, even if that may take a little longer.

Yes, in this ideal world, every club would love to have got all the players they wanted already and be sat back smoking cigars.

But this isn't the reality for most clubs, United apart it seems!

At the end of the day we have had 5 players go out and only 1 come in and we are already several days into pre-season training. I'm sure that if you asked MoN or any of the other coaching staff if this was an ideal situation they would tell you no, they would rather have the players tied up by now so that they could come in and work together with the rest of the squad so that they can gel before the start of the season

well the rest of the squad aren't in pre season training yet so there is still some time to bring players in.

Also at the moment not replacing players who wouldn't play next season is not a terrible thing. New players will be brought in as soon as the manager can do it.

Makes me smile when people keep saying players that have left would not have played. Football is not about just having 11 players, its about a squad. Look at the past few years when we have had small squads and the impact lack of form, injuries and suspensions has had. Even in MON's first year we had situation like Hughes in midfield, the loan signing of a track suited clown and the need to bring in players like Agathe and Sutton neither of which are of "the standard" that people keep talking about.

The need for more players is obvious, the need for players that can and will be classed as insurance is there. At this moment the squad needs improving in terms of ability and bodies, as each day goes by the excuse of not being around for pre season becomes one that may well be used again - not an acceptable one!

In MON's defence, I don't recall him using that much last season.

Some of us on here - that felt the need to defend him during our bad spell - used it. But it is not really something I rememeber hearing from the man himself very often.

As I have said before, I also wonder how much people actually insist this is MO'N's fault, yet if it was in the Ellis era, would blame him... Not defending Ellis, and I know these are different circumstances, but let's face it, it aint football manager. MO'N can only - and will only - do so much himself. It's a team effort, and MO'N is not soley responsible for this window.

I am conscious of this coming across as an MO'N love-in, and that is not my intention. I'm just a little sick of people blaming him like everything to do with the transfer business is soley his resposibility.

We’re still light on numbers. I thought Chris Sutton would retire, but we’ve also lost Aaron Hughes, Jlloyd Samuel, Lee Hendrie, Gavin McCann and Steven Davis, so we need to bolster...We’ve been linked to every single player under the sun and we’d like to add some players....although I’ve got no particular comment to make about people, we’re definitely going to try to strengthen.....I can’t say I’m in the throes of signing someone in the next 24 hours. But we have a number of things on the go.”

“Martin says he’s going to make four or five more signings, but he keeps his cards very close to his chest.”

WE&S

We’re still light on numbers. I thought Chris Sutton would retire, but we’ve also lost Aaron Hughes, Jlloyd Samuel, Lee Hendrie, Gavin McCann and Steven Davis, so we need to bolster...We’ve been linked to every single player under the sun and we’d like to add some players....although I’ve got no particular comment to make about people, we’re definitely going to try to strengthen.....I can’t say I’m in the throes of signing someone in the next 24 hours. But we have a number of things on the go.â€

“Martin says he’s going to make four or five more signings, but he keeps his cards very close to his chest.â€

WE&S

which is why i'm not yet worried, Pete.

Unless people think MON is spinning us (and NRC) some sort of yarn, then players will be coming in.

Ideally sooner rather than later, but come they will.

those that have gone would not have got much/any pitch time time this season, and will surely be replaced by players that will.

PB, I was alive for both of the Ellis tenures as well. Shame you are being so negative about the current management, but that is your perogative. I wonder what he has done to jusify that though. I think it will take us time to grow to a top club. If you know Ellis two times, do you know Rotterdam and the season before. Were they supposedly top class players ?

Â