Amateur Football Clubs

bcarpet

Does anyone have any experiences with running an Amateur football club?

I'm on a committee of a club and I've thought where better than to pick peoples brains than Villatalk?! 

My club is 97 years old and play at an alright standard at local level (Gloucestershire).  We own our own pitch and club house and we have bills of £3,000 per year which is a bit of a pain!  We've currently got 2 men's Saturday sides and one Vets side on a Sunday.

How do you all manage to convince people to sponsor your club?  We've not had a sponsor in years now and its something we are desperate for!  I'm probably going to volunteer to see if I can help out on this aspect but it would be great to get ideas from people who have already done it!

Chrisp65 talked about the turmoil of Barry Town at length when they were going through their protracted troubles. I think and I may be wrong the supporters now own that and chris may have some experience of that.

How do you all manage to convince people to sponsor your club?  We've not had a sponsor in years now and its something we are desperate for!  I'm probably going to volunteer to see if I can help out on this aspect but it would be great to get ideas from people who have already done it!

It could be vastly, vastly different in Australia, but in general it's about who you know, and who your players know. Every sponsor at my cricket club (bar the local pub who sponsor us because we're there twice a week), is connected to a player at the club.

I suppose the best place to start here is to look at what you can offer a sponsor...

How many fans go to the games, on average? If you get 80-200 or so, you should be able to leverage that a bit

Do you have hoardings at pitch side for potential advertising?

What kind of buy in are you looking for?

I assume they get their names on the jerseys?

Is there scope for advertising within/on the clubhouse? Would that be visible from the roadside?

Another approach is that sponsorship can be looked at as a tax write off for the company sponsoring. That'd mean you're looking for a medium sized business that's comfortably covering costs, has finances for expansion when needed, is privately owned, and would be looking for some manageable writeoffs

Â