Recommend me some software

choffer

Surprised we don't have a thread for this kind of thing (or is it just me that can't find what I need?). Thought it might be a useful thread for people to explain what they need in the hopes that someone out there can recommend the perfect solution.

So, the main reason is obviously that I could do with some advice. 

Despite nearly 20 years working in IT, I've never had to do any media-related stuff and it turns out, I'm a complete wazzock at it.

So, I've got one photo and I want to crop someone out of it and paste it into another photo. I know that photoshop can do it but I'm blowed if I'm going to shell out for it just for this. I tried Acorn but I can't manage to make it look anything other than awful so I'm thinking surely there must be some cheap(or even free) tool to do it. Any suggestions?

(Just to give a bit of context, me and the GF look after a young autistic boy at weekends and we recently took him karting which he absolutely loved. He was totally "in the zone" and thought he was Lewis Hamilton, despite most of the other kids overtaking him several times per lap. We wanted to cut a photo of him driving the kart into a photo from an F1 race and print it up for him to have on his bedroom wall.)

Â