Recording TV and playback using USB and/or HDD

bully

Help please techies as I am pretty useless with these type of things.

I've decided that I've had enough of Sky and I am going to drop my whole package with them, phone/broadband and sky plus. Someone suggested to me that you can record tv using USB or HDD and playback recordings. Do any of you do this and how does it work?

Various ways but you still need something to actually receive signals. I have BT TV with you view which is the freeview version of sky+. Without any subscription you can buy a free view PVR box which does the same thing but without subscription channels.

If you want to record to a HDD yourself you'll need a PC with a digital tuner card such as a wintv etc. Loads and loads of options, all depends on what you want to get out of it. The BT route is probably the most straightforward and is a not cheaper than sky all in.

My humax freeview recorder lets you record to USB stick, or to external or internal HDD. I think it's called a humaX fox t2. It's ace, anyway.
I also have a USB dongle for the computer which acts like a freeview box and the computer then becomes the recorder. It's also pretty neat.

Â