Sri Lanka

mikeyp102

So has anyone been? Tonyh mentioned some places he went to. Has anyone got any recommendations?

I'll flying into the airport near Colombo. Will be there about 4 days. Was originally hoping to catch a cricket match as i think it would be a great atmosphere there, but dates haven't been released yet.

I've been a couple of times, once with work and once for pleasure.

The first trip was the pleasure trip and we took my parents.  We stayed in a resort called Negombo, which isn't far from the airport really.  It's a nice little town, with some good restaurants and a feel of "real" Sri Lanka about it.  We were on a budget so stayed here - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297897-d1473620-Reviews-Paradise_Beach_Hotel-Negombo_Western_Province.html

The second time was the work trip so I was based in Colombo, a bustling city which fills your expectations of Asia - loads of colour, sights AND smells!  The hotel there was http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293962-d456049-Reviews-Cinnamon_Lakeside_Colombo-Colombo_Western_Province.html which is a nice hotel, pretty large but has an incredibly cheap Thai restaurant serving some of the best Thai food I've ever had.

Both times I made a visit to the elephant orphanage, it's a must do.  The first time I also went to spend a night in Kandy which is really beautiful town.  So lush and green.

You can't go wrong with Sri Lanka.  It's amazing.

Thanks NV had seen Negombo and was thinking a day/night there. I'm volunteering at an elephant sanctuary in Thailand so might not go. Heard there is a turtle sanctuary down the coast I may go to. What's it like getting about places?

yeah whilst the roads / traffic aren't on an India (sub) standard something you think will take 2 hours takes about 4 .... If you opt for public transport then probably more like 6

nice place though , well worth a visit

Thanks guys..

Tony did you do Sigiriya Lion Rock or worlds end? Are they worth it and are they fairly reasonable hikes to do on my own (obviously most mountains recommend in groups but needs must). Is there a visitor centre to "check in and out"?

Edited by mikeyp102

Yeah I don't remember it being massively dangerous at all, there are loads of people around so sure you can tag a long if your that worried.

Negombo is fun there's a restaurant there called Lords on main strip which is really nice

• Like 1

Thanks guys..

Tony did you do Sigiriya Lion Rock or worlds end? Are they worth it and are they fairly reasonable hikes to do on my own (obviously most mountains recommend in groups but needs must). Is there a visitor centre to "check in and out"?

I did both

Hire a guide when you go up the rock other wise it won't mean a lot ... You'll sweat a bit due to the heat but it's not strenuous at all just climbing stairs really... It's caged off in places so no chance of falling , watch out for the monkeys though one or two of them get a bit aggressive

Worlds end is a bigger hike maybe around 5 miles if I recall , reasonably flat but it gives you some fantastic views when you reach the lookout points , climb down to Bakers falls as well and enjoy the waterfall

Again you'll sweat a bit due to the temperature but you are up in clouds a bit as well so you get a nice breeze at times , you can get a bus to both but a private car would be easier

Edited by tonyh29

Yeah I don't remember it being massively dangerous at all, there are loads of people around so sure you can tag a long if your that worried.

Negombo is fun there's a restaurant there called Lords on main strip which is really nice

I came back into the thread to mention Lords.  As the name suggests it's run by an English cricket fan.  Lovely food, great wine, nice art on display, and pools with koi carp in.  A nice place to spend time.

Our Kandy trip was organised by a local tour guide a couple of doors down from the hotel.  We went into his office and he was just some fat bloke wearing pretty much only a towel and sat behind a desk.  Seems to be standard garb for a lot of the fellas over there!  His brother and a driver took us on the trip.  Far cheaper than the Thomas Cook rep (not sure how we got a Thomas Cook rep when we booked flights and hotel ourselves) and a bit more of an adventure, I'd imagine.

I always book with a local agency , thankfully it's usually gone well and I've not just sent money to a scam artist

I used Miracle Sri Lanka (leisure@miraclesrilanka.co.uk) .. if you drop Azad a line send him my regards :)

they were reliable and worked to a budget we gave them ( my mate is well tight and always wants 3 star hotels )  .. we may have tweaked it a bit from the schedule given on the day but it was along the line sof the below

Day 01 - 22nd August 2013
Meet pick and drive to Wilpaththu, Early check in at hotel and relax the day. Enjoy a safari in Sri Lanka's largest National Park , Wilpaththu which is famous for its high density of Leopards , Bears , elephants and many more animals. It also home for dozens of small lakes known as villu's in local language. This villu is attractions for animals as well as birds. 

Hotel: LLT Safari & Tourist Inn - Wilpaththu

Day 02 - 23rd August 2013
Early morning proceed to Sigiriya via Aukkana where the carving Buddha statue is located. Afternoon climb the Lion Rock and return to hotel.

Late Afternoon Elephant garthering at Minneriya

Hotel : Nice Place Bungalows - Inamaluwa , Dambulla

Day 03 - 24th August 2013
Proceed to Ramboda via Kandy. En route drop in a tea factory & tea garden and get familier with tea manafacturing process. 

Hotel : Ramboda Falls Hotel - Ramboda

Day 04 - 25th August 2013

Early departure from hotel to Hortain Plain National park and explore World End / Mini Worlds End trails along with Bakers falls and then head to Colombo. Optional white water rafting in Kithulgala. If time permits have a quick city tour of Colombo.

Hotel : Tropic Inn Bungalow - Mt. Laviniea

Day 05 - 26th August 2013
Transfer to airport as per flight schedule

Accommodation: 01 twin sharing with Breakfast at deluxe budget hotels
Transport            : A/C  car  with English Speaking Guide/Driver 
Cost for 2 Adult : US$ 700.00

Entrance Fee which has to be paid by you, (payable extra per person in SRI LANKAN RUPESS ): Wilpatthu jeep safari 6500each ( Half Day) 10000 ( Each ) Sigiriya 3900each, Temple of the tooth 1000each, Pinnawela 2000each , White water rafting 3000each, Hortan Plain 2850each

Conversion rate 1USD=125LKR

Visa
You need to obtain your travel authorization before arriving to Sri Lanka, please visit: http://www.eta.gov.lk

Â