New Laptop

Gillz

hey guys.

Im currently in the process of searching for a new laptop after my HP dv7-3110ea has finally given up!

I'm looking for a decent replacement that can handle the basic word processing and web browsing but also deliver excellent multimedia experience - mostly films and gaming. 

I've got a budget of around £750-800 at a push.

Unfortunately i've fallen behind on what specs are best these days so was hoping for some help.

I've identified two laptops which look quite promising:

Asus N550LF-CK108H:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/N550LF-CK108H-15-6-inch-i7-4500U-Processor-Blu-Ray/dp/B00GKG1OSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1400075102&sr=1-1&keywords=laptop

MSI GP70 2PE-026UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GP70-2PE-026UK-17-3-inch-Bluetooth/dp/B00J2PLCJ2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1400075102&sr=1-2&keywords=laptop

I'd really help any advice you guys can offer, on what i should be looking for, if these two laptops are any good, or any other suggestions you may have!

Thanks in advance. 

The 15 inch one has pretty crappy resolution on the screen, for 15 inch and up it should do Full HD 1920*1080 at the minimum for that price.

I would also not buy a laptop without a SSD drive. To much performance to give up.

I kinda like this one It comes with a normal HHD but it has a slot where you can add a SSD drive. It doesent say if it's a normal 2.5 inch SATA or mSATA but it doesn't matter. Just check before you buy a new drive for it. Or if don't care it looks fast as it is.

The 15 inch one has pretty crappy resolution on the screen, for 15 inch and up it should do Full HD 1920*1080 at the minimum for that price.

I would also not buy a laptop without a SSD drive. To much performance to give up.

I kinda like this one It comes with a normal HHD but it has a slot where you can add a SSD drive. It doesent say if it's a normal 2.5 inch SATA or mSATA but it doesn't matter. Just check before you buy a new drive for it. Or if don't care it looks fast as it is.

thanks for the advice.

i did like the look of the HP, obviously having had one before it was a brand i can trust but i was slightly put off by the 5400rpm. will have a another look into it

Also any thoughts on the MSI laptop i posted as atm that's my preferred choice. 

thanks for the advice.

i did like the look of the HP, obviously having had one before it was a brand i can trust but i was slightly put off by the 5400rpm. will have a another look into it

Also any thoughts on the MSI laptop i posted as atm that's my preferred choice. 

Yep, good point about the drive, I missed that. I wouldn’t run the system on that drive. But the rest is excellent. If you go with that one a SSD is a must.

No real faults with the MSI as far as I can see, bit big but that’s a personal preference. Better drive and graphics than the HP.

Make sure they come with the Windows installation media. Re-format and install everything before you do anything else, primarily to ensure you have all the drivers and also to remove the manufacturer's bloat.

• Like 1

For that sort of money I'd go with one of the new MacBook Pros through the refurb store.

For £850 you get the used, 2 year old 13 inch with 1280*800 resolution 500GB SATA5400rpm and 4 gigs of ram and a rather useless graphic card for gaming.

But you get a very shiny apple logo. Wohoooo!

• Like 1

For that sort of money I'd go with one of the new MacBook Pros through the refurb store.

For £850 you get the used, 2 year old 13 inch with 1280*800 resolution 500GB SATA5400rpm and 4 gigs of ram and a rather useless graphic card for gaming.

But you get a very shiny apple logo. Wohoooo!

That's not a problem, on OSX he won't have any games to play anyway. :)

• Like 1

Â