BT Broadband - upgrading to TV

mjmooney

OK, since BT's help service is utterly useless, I'll ask VT. 

I currently have BT's bog-standard (10Mb) broadband service, that I use purely for web surfing, etc. 

I'm thinking of upgrading to their 'unlimited' (I realise it isn't really unlimited) option, and going to BT Infinity - they assure me my line can support it. 

So far, so good. 

But while I'm at it, I thought I might go for their TV option - extra Freeview channels and catch-up. 

My current TV is 'no frills' - not 'smart'/web-enabled, but has built-in Freeview receiver, which we use via the roof aerial - no cable or satellite. 

If I bought BT's YouView box, I was assuming it would plug into the TV, and pick up its signal - wirelessly - from the Home Hub. An online 'chat' with a BT advisor (clearly in India) suggests that the TV <--> YouView box <--> Home Hub would have to be physically hardwired. Really?  My router is out in the hall, the TV (obviously) in the living room. The last thing I want is yards of wire trailing across the floor. 

Is this correct? And if so, anybody got any better suggestions for a modest TV upgrade? 

Ah, the BT drone muttered something about adapters, but said they didn't recommend their use. [1] Didn't know what he/she was talking about anyway - I'll check out that link, ta. 

[1] Despite the fact that - having read that link - I now know that BT market one of their own! 

Edited by mjmooney

OK, that was interesting. But to muddy the waters, I'm starting to wonder whether I'd be better going down the Chromecast or Roku route? 

Anybody here use either of these? 

OK, that was interesting. But to muddy the waters, I'm starting to wonder whether I'd be better going down the Chromecast or Roku route? 

Don't do it!

Any plan to increase the amount of TV you watch is a bad plan, as far as I am concerned. :)

Don't do it!

Any plan to increase the amount of TV you watch is a bad plan, as far as I am concerned. :)

Well, yes, I agree in principle. 

But the missus wants to replace our LoveFilm postal DVD subscription with NetFlix, and she has a point. 

Don't do it!

Well, yes, I agree in principle. 

But the missus wants to replace our LoveFilm postal DVD subscription with NetFlix, and she has a point. 

I always fancied the LoveFilm postal thing to get those hard-to-find-on-the-telly films but because of my lousy record at returning films from my local video, I decided it sounded like too much hassle.

My mates seem happy with their NetFlix experience.

I have both, what do you want to know? (and I don't actually watch much TV).

Â