Jay Rodriguez watch

Con

Jay Rodriguez vs Juan MataL  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have in your Premier League team?

• Jay Rodriguez
    • Juan Mata

New thread because it's off topic to keep updating the Manchester Utd thread with comparisons to £38 million Juan Mata (i.e. his 10 goal 10 assist awesome season).

In that thread I suggested Man Utd should have signed Jay Rodriguez rather than Juan Mata, because Jay Rodriguez can put in a tackle and rack up the points, whereas Juan Mata has not got the defensive side to the game. That is the reason Mourinho was sorry he "could not improve him" and sold him, rather than Hazard.

Up to game 29 Jay Rodriguez has 11 goals and 3 assists in the Premier League, with 42 tackles - a lot for an attacking player. He's scored or set up at least two goals following a good tackle.

Already in game 30 against Norwich (away) Rodriguez has another goal, bringing his total to 12 goals and 3 assists - this performance in front of England manager Roy Hodgson. Game not finished yet.

Now on 15 attacking points for the season, will he hit the Juan Mata 20 point benchmark by the season's end? If so that would be a terrific achievement.

Born on 29 July 1989 - he's 24 years old, so Southampton will put a hefty price tag on him over the summer, particularly if he is selected for the Brazil World Cup squad.

I think Man Utd over-paid for Mata so I wouldn't say Jay Rod will go for more than £38 million. They would probably sell for £30m if he gets to that 20 attacking points benchmark.

Edited by Con