Network Advice

samjp26

Okay, I am quite knowledgable with home networking but I need some advice. Basically, the crap Virgin guy that installed my new broadband decided that putting my modem/router behind my TV in the corner of the living room would be a great idea. I can't move it because it is attached to a white Virgin cable that runs from outside, it isn't very long. My wi-fi signal is awful anywhere outside the living room so I've hooked up an ethernet cable to the 'super hub' and have it in modem mode, using a much better router which I have placed in my hall way. 

My signal is great but it seems to keep dropping out, the internet that is not the signal. Virgin's hardware always seems to suck but apparently a powerline setup helps to fix this.

I'm unsure whether running a powerline from my better router will work, or would it need to be directly from the modem itself? In which case I'd basically lose all Wi-Fi capability and would only be able to use the internet on one device at a time (with a powerline).

I've never used these powerline things before, so not sure if they really will be the solution - any advice?

You can connect as many powerlines as you like. The one I linked has one that plugs in to your router and then the wifi one can be placed somewhere central in your house. You can add another where your xbone is. They also do ones with a built in 4 way switch.

Yeah, I see obviously you plug one end into the modem and into the wall, the other into the wall upstairs. Does the 'upstairs' one allow a wired connection too or would I have to buy a seperate one? That's what I can't tell

Yeah, I see obviously you plug one end into the modem and into the wall, the other into the wall upstairs. Does the 'upstairs' one allow a wired connection too or would I have to buy a seperate one? That's what I can't tell

I've no idea. I'd need to read the product descriptions.

You can buy a powerline unit that does both. I have one. I've never found a wireless access point that doesn't have an RJ45 connection, it's standard.

You need to connect it to your wireless hub rather than the modem so that it can replicate the security settings of that device. Your hub is already connected to the outside world via the modem, all the powerline device does is extend that existing network.

FYI they're not all that reliable. I have to reset mine weekly.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased this, a pass-through one and a regular one - all TP-Link.

My set-up is:

Virgin Superhub 2 (Downstairs) -> Regular Powerline (Downstairs) -> WiFi Powerline (Upstairs Landing) -> Pass-through Powerline (Upstairs Bedroom). My hope was to extend my WiFi signal upstairs but to also have a wired connection into my Xbox One.

Safe to say it is a pile of crap and a waste of however much I spent. I get a maximum of a 4mbit connection on Speedtest, with a 120mbit line :(

Edited by samjp26

I've only used the netgear ones and no issues at all. I have the 4 port under the TV for the Sky, PS3 and Squeezebox. I have a single port at the router. I have another single port where I'm sat now for when I'm installing ubuntu on laptops people think are too slow to use.

Can the software identify where the fault is? It might just be a dodgy spur on one of the sockets you're using. Otherwise if you bought them online just return them under the DSRegs. Check the software first because there may be a fault with your router or cables. You need the software to tell you that the device plugged into the router is getting the bandwidth in the first place.

PS. You'll get no noticeable difference between connecting your Xbox by wifi rather than wired, unless it doesn't do wifi (genuinely don't know).

I've only used the netgear ones and no issues at all. I have the 4 port under the TV for the Sky, PS3 and Squeezebox. I have a single port at the router. I have another single port where I'm sat now for when I'm installing ubuntu on laptops people think are too slow to use.

Can the software identify where the fault is? It might just be a dodgy spur on one of the sockets you're using. Otherwise if you bought them online just return them under the DSRegs. Check the software first because there may be a fault with your router or cables. You need the software to tell you that the device plugged into the router is getting the bandwidth in the first place.

PS. You'll get no noticeable difference between connecting your Xbox by wifi rather than wired, unless it doesn't do wifi (genuinely don't know).

Good shout on the sockets mate! Just switched the one connected to the router into a different socket and kaching, 60mb - I'm guessing it'll be faster but it is Virgin 'peak time' - as for the Xbox, it seems to disconnect quite often from WiFi, no idea why but apparently I'm not the only one who has such issues (hence why I wanted a cabled connection).

Cheers though, owe you a pint pal!

• 3 weeks later...

I did warn you that they're unreliable.

Other than that glad you got it sorted. We have a 50mb line. I get 32mb say by the downstairs hub and 28mb upstairs by the tp-link, which is frankly astonishing when you consider it's using your electrical circuit to transmit data.

I did warn you that they're unreliable.

Other than that glad you got it sorted. We have a 50mb line. I get 32mb say by the downstairs hub and 28mb upstairs by the tp-link, which is frankly astonishing when you consider it's using your electrical circuit to transmit data.

I agree that it is astonishing, I'm pretty much getting my full connection through my Xbox. For some reason my Macbook likes to have connection problems with the WiFi powerline, everything else (including a Mac Pro) works fine though, which I find quite odd.

Either way I'm glad I sorted it too, cheers for the help guys! 

Â