Week 11 - Bumper week!

BOF

Nah, he's just an overhyped run first QB. Ain't that right, Kurt?

IMO, yes. The fact he barely put up 200 yards through the air against a pretty average Pats D doesn't really disagree with that either.

Horrific call to end the game though. 

Hope the Pats smash them. I get bored of the over-praise Cam Newton gets every time he is able to have a half decent game. Seems to be the trend with these run first QBs though, get all hype over nothing.

Bummer dude ;)

IMO, yes. The fact he barely put up 200 yards through the air against a pretty average Pats D doesn't really disagree with that either.

Well if we're all about facts, he just beat the 7-2 Patriots. 3 passing TDs to Brady's 1. He carried the ball 7 times compared to 28 passes. And the Pats are 12th on passing D (229yds) which isn't that shabby.

To be honest I think what happens all too often, and what has happened here, is we make our minds up on a player and then fit all the stats/evidence into a shape that fits our conclusion, rather than the other way around. Newton is a lot more than a run first QB and it's a little exasperating to see people try and make out otherwise. Why not just enjoy the man's gifts?

• Like 1

It's the same with football. Some players/teams get shoved down your throat and you get sick of it, particularly when you feel said player does't live up to the hype. The Packers and Peyton at least live up to the hype, as annoying as the media obsession is.

To be honest I think what happens all too often, and what has happened here, is we make our minds up on a player and then fit all the stats/evidence into a shape that fits our conclusion,

Well, what else are people do to? That's just an opinion. I'm not going to say I think Newton is average, then he has a great game and call him a great QB, then he has a bad game and call him a bad one. I think you have to base your opinion on the whole of what you feel, not game by game.

Anyway, no opinions on the no-call?

Edited by kurtsimonw

I didn't see it tbh. I saw none of the game. All I know is there was a controversy and the refs are happy they made the right call. I've no idea on the details.

It's pretty bad IMO.

822649524.gif

I take it it's a non-call on DPI?  He was never beating #38 to the ball so #59s interference is incidental IMO.  There's definitely contact yes, and I suppose that's where the controversy is.  But it wasn't the difference between him catching the ball and not catching it.  I'd probably feel fairly aggrieved as a Pats fan though.  Levi what are your thunks on the matter?

I think what makes is that when Gronk puts his breaks on to turn towards the ball he's right next to #38 and while #38 would be the favourite, there's still a chance. But Gronk gets pushed further and further back making it a zero chance. Like you say, if that happens to us we'd be pissed off.

For me, the first foot plant from Gronk that you could call 'putting on the brakes' has him already a big second favourite to the ball.  You're right there's still a chance especially with it being Gronkowski and I can see both sides.  I can see why the refs feel vindicated and I can see where a fan would want the call.  Trying to be objective I think the refs got it right, but #59 can count himself lucky that he didn't cost his team big time.  He gave the refs a big decision to make and I've seen much softer calls given in the past.  Not that those soft calls were right.

I personally think it should be called, I don't like it when a defender can essentially win a game on a borderline decision by basically cheating. But at the same time, the refs don't get to see it in a slow-mo replay over and over like we have and no matter the call, with it being so close, they would have a bunch of fans complaining.

See I think pass interference in general is given too readily against the defence.  It's a huge penalty that can span the entire length of the field and as I heard one described recently, it was called on a pass that was "destined for the peanut vendor in the stands", which is infuriating as a fan and all too bloody regular! :)

Â