NFL International Series

kurtsimonw

I think if the US ratings for a 930am ET game are decent, the IS games going forward will be scheduled for that slot.

If it succeeds (and there's every reason to think it will... in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, there's already a 10am or 11am local time game every Sunday and even when it's two eastern teams playing, they get good ratings), then I see the NFL moving to 16 IS games a year and selling a package in the US for those to Fox Sports 1 or CBS Sports Network. They should be able to get another half-billion for that package.

At 16 international games a year, they can handle it like Thursday Night Football: everybody plays an IS game, everybody gives up a home game every other year. It also creates a package they can sell in the Far East for the first time, really (930am Eastern is 930pm in Beijing). Maybe return to the 1993 experiment with 2 bye weeks per team, per season to allow the teams playing IS in week 16 to have a bye in December?

It also lets them expand it beyond London... maybe:

4 in London

1 in Edinburgh

1 in Cardiff

1 in Dublin

1 in Dusseldorf

1 in Frankfurt

1 in Munich

1 in Berlin

1 in Amsterdam

1 in Barcelona

1 in Madrid

1 in Turin

1 in Beijing?

The early start is also a test for a possible London franchise: it'll be more difficult for fans more than a couple of hours from London to attend, but those are the sort of fans who would also be the prime targets for season ticket holders for a London franchise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe return to the 1993 experiment with 2 bye weeks per team, per season

I am surprised they haven't done this already. It makes the season a week longer which would surely increase TV revenue. It also allows the NFL to look like they care about player welfare.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Â