Flights

donnie

How early do people book their long haul flights?? Looking at shanghai in october on Skyscanner and they are around £600. Firstly is it worth waiting even longer for prices to drop and secondly how much do you guys pay for your Asia or new york flights??

There is no right or wrong answer! I have booked mine from anything from 6 months in advance to 1 month in advance. Prices may get cheaper closer.. or they may get more expensive. I've seen evidence of both. If you feel its a good price then you should book. To be fair, £600 for Asia on a decent carrier is about par for the course now. Its not going to get vastly cheaper (you may get it at £530 - £550 if a carrier is having a sale) but its worth bearing in mind

For reference the last two Asian flights I have booked were £661 on Emirates to Bangkok (and back from Hong Kong - plus it included the BKK - HKG leg) and £615 on Cathay Pacific return to Hong Kong. Both of those were booked through Ebookers via Kayak. Ebookers always seem cheaper than the airline direct and I do prefer Kayak to Skyscanner as flight aggregators go.

Typically I use Expedia and Skyscanner to identify the flight availability and the rough prices.

I would then use something like TopCashback or Quidco to see which of the travel sites are offering best cash off or cash back (might as well get a few extra quids).

Skyscanner or Expedia for me as well

Sky scanner does business class now as well :)

Coming home from Kathmandu to LHR for £600 in business one way with Qatar airlines next month thank you very much ...

You can pickup some bargains with the airlines in their sales from time to time so its worth keeping an eye out ...

Cheapest route I found to Asia last year was with Finnair the first time and KLM the second time so it pays to keep looking ... Also depends where you are going of course ... I was off to Chengdu where KLM fly direct so going via Dubai wouldn't really have been viable in that instance

Edited by tonyh29

A colleague booked Shanghai with Lufthansa for under £450, flying in November. My lad did Bangkok with KLM for similar money.

Basically there is massive over capacity for Asia, with the increased use of A380 adding more seats into the mix, and the European carriers fighting back against the Midde East giants.

It's going to be cheap in all cabins for a long time yet!

Â